Carrying while driving through Ohio

This is a discussion on Carrying while driving through Ohio within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leaving Georgia in a couple weeks going to Michigan. While driving through Ohio not sure what laws are. Any help here appreciated. Thanks...

Thread: Carrying while driving through Ohio

Leaving Georgia in a couple weeks going to Michigan. While driving through Ohio not sure what laws are. Any help here appreciated. Thanks

Look here for all your answers...use the two maps in the upper left corner.
    USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by flor1 View Post
    Leaving Georgia in a couple weeks going to Michigan. While driving through Ohio not sure what laws are. Any help here appreciated. Thanks
    A couple of less well known requirements:

If you don't have a recognized CCW credential of some sort, make sure that your magazines are unloaded. With an Ohio CHL or other recognized credential, you can have a loaded gun and magazines, but without, even the magazines can't be loaded.

(With a recognized CCW credential) you can have your loaded firearm:

• in a holster on your body
    • in a closed (but not necessarily locked) glove box or center console
    • in a closed (zipper, etc.) container in plain sight

To carry on your body in a vehicle, you must use a holster of some kind. A pocket holster like the Desantis Nemesis I use is acceptable.

MSP - Firearms

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0957--,00.html

Should cover most of what you need to know while in Michigan, from the Michigan State Police website.

I'd advise that you stay out of the Canton IKEA store if you plan on OC though.. <*>

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...anti-rtba.html
    Last edited by Mountaineer; September 20th, 2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: to add the reciprocity link...

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Make sure your gun and ammo are in separate compartments, with one of them being required to leave the car (trunk if possible, or very very rear of an SUV or van), and inaccessible. As said, do not even have a loaded magazine in your car, Ohio has in its law that loaded magazine=loaded gun even if they are locked far away from each other. If you have a permit recognized by Ohio, forget what I said and carry as normal but avoid the CPZ.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Just checked, and according to this website, Ohio does not honor Georgia permits

U.S. CCW Reciprocity Map from CarryConcealed.net

WASHINGTON DID’NT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Make sure your gun and ammo are in separate compartments, with one of them being required to leave the car (trunk if possible, or very very rear of an SUV or van), and inaccessible. As said, do not even have a loaded magazine in your car, Ohio has in its law that loaded magazine=loaded gun even if they are locked far away from each other. If you have a permit recognized by Ohio, forget what I said and carry as normal but avoid the CPZ.
    JTN is exactly correct, as the gun cannot be "ready at hand'. I had to practice this prior the the CCW years. I used to keep the cased and unloaded gun locked in the trunk, and the ammo in the glove box.

Jamie

As a bit of a sidenote, I found when driving through most of Ohio that all of the state rest stops (especially on the turnpike) had giant no-firearms signs.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlis View Post
    As a bit of a sidenote, I found when driving through most of Ohio that all of the state rest stops (especially on the turnpike) had giant no-firearms signs.
    The turnpike restrooms are now preempted and you can carry into them. I'm not sure about the large indoor rest stops. I THINK they are too.

So would a locked Center of Mass type safe tucked under the driver's seat be legal in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Make sure your gun and ammo are in separate compartments, with one of them being required to leave the car (trunk if possible, or very very rear of an SUV or van), and inaccessible.
    I don't believe that there is any requirement to store ammo in a separate compartment in Ohio.

For the OP, I have added what I believe are the relevant sections from the Ohio Revised Code. IANAL, so don't take my word for it.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(D) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, any of the following applies:

(1) The person is under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or a combination of them.

(2) The person’s whole blood, blood serum or plasma, breath, or urine contains a concentration of alcohol, a listed controlled substance, or a listed metabolite of a controlled substance prohibited for persons operating a vehicle, as specified in division (A) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code, regardless of whether the person at the time of the transportation or possession as described in this division is the operator of or a passenger in the motor vehicle.

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    I don't believe that there is any requirement to store ammo in a separate compartment in Ohio.

For the OP, I have added what I believe are the relevant sections from the Ohio Revised Code. IANAL, so don't take my word for it.
    Not sure if it is law or not, but that is how I was taught and always thought it made since.

As for the rest stops. The signs, if they are still up carry no weight. The ONLY ones to worry about are the ones with welcome centers, and that is a gray area, due to the fact that you have a building that is being used for more than a restroom facility.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    So would a locked Center of Mass type safe tucked under the driver's seat be legal in Ohio?
    Make sure the weapon is unloaded, all magazines are unloaded and you should be ok. I am not a lawyer, my advise is worth about as much as was paid for it.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Sponsored Links