Who should issue Carry Permits

This is a discussion on Who should issue Carry Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 'Nother vote for no permit required - BG's carry anyway....

View Poll Results: I think that:

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anyone who can buy/possess a firearm should be able to carry concealed

92 63.01%
  • Permits should be issued by the local elected Sheriff

5 3.42%
  • Permits should be issued by the local Court

5 3.42%
  • Permits should be issued by a State Public Safety Agency

7 4.79%
  • Permits should be issued by a State Licensing Agency

25 17.12%
  • Immaterial

2 1.37%
  • Other (Please explain)

10 6.85%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who should issue Carry Permits

'Nother vote for no permit required - BG's carry anyway.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    First choice would be no permit required, but since I don't foresee that happening anytime soon in VA, I would prefer to see it go to a state issued permit. Possibly issued under the authority of the State Police. Wouldn't be hard to do either, since VA SP issue non-resident permits. Of course I would also like to see VA do away with the flimsy piece of paper and go with a permit similar to drivers licenses with a picture on it.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Here in The Last Frontier it is the Department Of Public Safety that issues the permits, although as most of you know there is no permit required to carry here for both residents and non-residents.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

In KY the state issues the permit but the paperwork is handled through the County Sheriff's office and the background checks are done through the State Police. It seems to work OK here without extremely long delays.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Actually, no government entity should issue or deny a Constitutional right to bear, keep and carry arms. However, until the government realizes that they work for us, rather than the converse, I would think that the local County Sheriff's Office should be the right agency. The Sheriff's Department is the lowest common denominator covering an entire county, irrespective of municipalities, but still having jurisdiction over a relatively large area. Small enough to know the local populace, and large enough so that there are not a whole bunch of small bureaucracies telling us what to do and when to do it.
    While I agree and prefer that no permit be necessary, I certainly don't agree with a hundred or more county officials assigning their own individual criteria to the approval process. A simple and consistent process only comes from having a single issuing authority within the state, not many.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    In KY the state issues the permit but the paperwork is handled through the County Sheriff's office and the background checks are done through the State Police. It seems to work OK here without extremely long delays.
    They must have made some changes. My first permit as well as my first renewal both took six months.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Has any one started the popcorn?

Quote Originally Posted by VTFatBa*d View Post
    Ideally, every state would be like Vermont. No license required to carry concealed or open. If you're legal to buy, you're legal to carry.
    Correct.

Ideally, every state would be like Vermont. No license required to carry concealed or open. If you're legal to buy, you're legal to carry.
    Ted Nugent agrees, in his words

The second amendment IS my concealed weapons permit... PERIOD !!!.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I voted other as you should not have to have a permit to exercise your right to carry.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I voted other as you should not have to have a permit to exercise your right to carry.
    exactly!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If somebody is going to issue a license, it should be the state.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Nugent should run the whole show " Nugent For President "
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Who could ask for a better person to issue permits than the Florida Commissioner of Agriculture, Charles Bronson.
    +1
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Ideally the Alaska model'd be ideal, but in the real world it's likely best to have the process done as Florida has........it eliminates the local political process, sets a uniform standard and removes the 'crybaby' ***** about 'unfunded mandates'.

Florida's system has worked well, even tho the volume of applications has recently slowed the system at least the responsible agency keeps plodding along and has recently opened ancillary issuing offices around the State.

As an aside, my old home State of W.Va had the judicial issuing structure for years.......it was MORE than arbitrary, and even after the law dramatically changed it was still abused by various judges that just refused to obey the law!............West Virginia REMOVED that authority and vested it in the individual county sheriffs.............from what I've been told, approach has worked out fairly well, but then too W.Va has always been a 'gun friendly' state, even when it was saddled with the infamous Johnson Pistol Act that the State Supreme Ct. threw out as unconstitutional.........just goes to illustrate that even if you have a lousy law you CAN get it changed if you get enough folks on board.........In W.Va it took a constitutional amendment tho!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links