Who should issue Carry Permits

This is a discussion on Who should issue Carry Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another vote for the Florida system....

View Poll Results: I think that:

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anyone who can buy/possess a firearm should be able to carry concealed

92 63.01%
  • Permits should be issued by the local elected Sheriff

5 3.42%
  • Permits should be issued by the local Court

5 3.42%
  • Permits should be issued by a State Public Safety Agency

7 4.79%
  • Permits should be issued by a State Licensing Agency

25 17.12%
  • Immaterial

2 1.37%
  • Other (Please explain)

10 6.85%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who should issue Carry Permits

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Another vote for the Florida system.

2. Remove Ads

I myself feel that anybody who is not in prison should be allowed to own a firearm. Ex-cons and felons as well. If they are so dangerous, then why do they let them out?

PM
    I voted "State Licensing Agency" which to me is Kansas or FL or OH. Why have 100 different places issuing permits. One centeral location me thinks is best (But not the federal .gov)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you are legal to own and possess, you should get a CCW permit after you are exposed to the laws in your state (no testing required) and after you demonstrate basic gun safety and show you can a full magazine in your gun on a man sized target at social distances (say 20 feet).

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    If you are legal to own and possess, you should get a CCW permit after you are exposed to the laws in your state (no testing required) and after you demonstrate basic gun safety and show you can a full magazine in your gun on a man sized target at social distances (say 20 feet).
    So how does one know the law if they are exposed to the laws. I was exposed to biology but I don't really know it. And why a full magazine, meaning how many rounds? Why at 20 feet?

no permits ever needed OC or CC 100% reciprocity the right exists without the 2a and will always exists
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Thank God for "Shall Issue".

I don't like the idea of having someone else arbitrarily deciding if I can defend myself based on a sheet of paper. Sort of like submitting a resume for your right to life.

I believe that you should be able to carry a gun concealed out the door of a gun shop if you can pass the FBI exam, but on the other hand, I appreciate the sanctity of State's Rights. Don't like the State's idea of Rights?

Well...

Just remember, if the Federal Government could mandate such a thing, it could do so with other things as well. I'll take my chances with the State to State basis.
    Last edited by EvilMonk; September 22nd, 2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Clarifying
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

As long as we are solving the problems of the land: Let it be a state issue through the DMV; yielding a permit good in all states and ALL states using the same set of rules.

I voted state. I figure, we all answer to our respective states in matters of self defense, if it should happen. So, why shouldn't they be responsible for the licensing and monitoring of state issued CC permits.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

But I DO think (unlike the trend in Driver's Licenses) that U.S. Citizenship should be required for The Right to Carry in the U.S.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I would agree! 100% Isnt that the way it's setup now?
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    So how does one know the law if they are exposed to the laws. I was exposed to biology but I don't really know it. And why a full magazine, meaning how many rounds? Why at 20 feet?
    A passing knowledge of the gun laws is a good thing, but you should not be required to pass the equivalent of the state BAR exam on said laws to carry.

A full magazine because in interviews with civilians/police post-shooting, most don't know how many rounds they expended (usually many more than they thought), so a full mag in the gun you carry is the upper limit of what you are going to expend short of reloading.

21 feet is actually what I was thinking of, and that is based on some research as to how far away someone can start coming at you with a knife and you still have time to fire, plus I believe it is a distance that is quoted as most self defense encounters are under.

Hey, the OP asked, this is my opinion.

So long as permits are required.........state agency.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    A passing knowledge of the gun laws is a good thing, but you should not be required to pass the equivalent of the state BAR exam on said laws to carry.

A full magazine because in interviews with civilians/police post-shooting, most don't know how many rounds they expended (usually many more than they thought), so a full mag in the gun you carry is the upper limit of what you are going to expend short of reloading.

21 feet is actually what I was thinking of, and that is based on some research as to how far away someone can start coming at you with a knife and you still have time to fire, plus I believe it is a distance that is quoted as most self defense encounters are under.

Hey, the OP asked, this is my opinion.
    Did you pass a test to exercise your right to free speech before posting this opinion? One should never need to pass a test to exercise a right, rights are not given by man they are supposed to be protected by man.
    If you do not follow the laws that protect society then a jury of your peers may deem you no longer worthy of your rights, but not until you have proven yourself unworthy. Meaning they can not strip you of them for what you might do but what you have done.
    This is the only acceptable impediment to our rights that I can think of.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    I don't know how this country survived before all these gun laws. The issuing authority is our creator. In MN, the permit law is administered by the sheriffs, and the turnaround is between 1-4 weeks. The permit ought to be honored throughout the US, like a drivers license.

US Constitution: Article. IV. Section. 1. Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State.

Of course, if our elected officials can't get their heads around the Second Amendment, how on earth can we suppose they'll understand the Constitution?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links