Who should issue Carry Permits

Who should issue Carry Permits

This is a discussion on Who should issue Carry Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about who should issue Carry Permits (whatever they are called in your State. Here in Virginia resident permits are issued by the ...

View Poll Results: I think that:

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anyone who can buy/possess a firearm should be able to carry concealed

92 63.01%
  • Permits should be issued by the local elected Sheriff

5 3.42%
  • Permits should be issued by the local Court

5 3.42%
  • Permits should be issued by a State Public Safety Agency

7 4.79%
  • Permits should be issued by a State Licensing Agency

25 17.12%
  • Immaterial

2 1.37%
  • Other (Please explain)

10 6.85%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who should issue Carry Permits

VIP Member

Question Who should issue Carry Permits

I've been thinking about who should issue Carry Permits (whatever they are called in your State.

Here in Virginia resident permits are issued by the local court, not the sheriff. In some local jurisdictions (prior to "must" issue) that created problems in some localities. Even recently, we had to "tie down" State law about the currency and source of approved training to stop some judges denials.

In many, if not most, places issue is done by the sheriff. Again that seems to create variation/inconsistency in application.

Is one approach better that the other?

Would a Statewide issuing agency be better?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I don't know who should issue them but it should NOT be the status quo!
    2-4 months to do a background check is CRAZY!
    It should NOT take anymore than 14 days from time of fingerprint submission to recieving the permit in the mail!
    And that go's for ALL states!

IMO, the state should issue. Eliminates the local power hungry or local wanna-be power hungry. State issue works about as well as I would expect in TN.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Who could ask for a better person to issue permits than the Florida Commissioner of Agriculture, Charles Bronson.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ideally, every state would be like Vermont. No license required to carry concealed or open. If you're legal to buy, you're legal to carry.

Now if we could just get rid of that stupid prohibition against carry in schools.
    Rob - The Erstwhile Vermont Fat Ba*d

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Who could ask for a better person to issue permits than the Florida Commissioner of Agriculture, Charles Bronson.
    Agreed! They have went above and beyond to make sure their department issued in a timely manner!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    One more vote for the Florida system.

I agree that it should be a state wide agency to eliminate differences in the process. That is how it is done here in SC.

Actually, no government entity should issue or deny a Constitutional right to bear, keep and carry arms. However, until the government realizes that they work for us, rather than the converse, I would think that the local County Sheriff's Office should be the right agency. The Sheriff's Department is the lowest common denominator covering an entire county, irrespective of municipalities, but still having jurisdiction over a relatively large area. Small enough to know the local populace, and large enough so that there are not a whole bunch of small bureaucracies telling us what to do and when to do it.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

As long as permits are required I think it should be a state agency like drivers licenses. I have known too many politicians at the county level to trust them with administering a program like that fairly.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

In PA our county sheriff issues the LTCFs and we're a shall issue state, average wait time is 15 minutes, only need to be of age and have no criminal record and you can walk out the courthouse with a LTCF.

Re: who should issue

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    In PA our county sheriff issues the LTCFs and we're a shall issue state, average wait time is 15 minutes, only need to be of age and have no criminal record and you can walk out the courthouse with a LTCF.
    That's interesting. In Lawrence County (Western PA) I went to the court house, filled out the app, and paid my $25. The sheriff's office called my three contacts that I had listed within 30 minutes, and then proceeded to take a week to mail me the CWP. So I guess, even in a state you have different protocols for issuance.

I agree that it should be the state and not local government if the state has to override the Constitution and require CWP's at all. As my father use to say. "Power corrupts and Absolute Power corrupts absolutely!" I guess we have become an "Animal Farm."
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

...and one other interesting bit of trivia. I live in both New Castle, PA and Roswell, GA. My DL is now a GA license as I've changed my residency, but both the sheriff's office and the PA State Police have told me that my PA-CWP is valid in PA for the entire term even though I've changed residency. On the other hand, I don't believe that GA will now accept my PA-CWP as it once would because I'm now a GA resident. If we have any GA folks that can confirm, that would be great.
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    As long as permits are required I think it should be a state agency like drivers licenses. I have known too many politicians at the county level to trust them with administering a program like that fairly.
    Yes. Although one might disagree with requiring a license, that is the way it is. That being so a state agency is the best overall.
    We go from where we are, and not where we would wish we were.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cericko View Post
    That's interesting. In Lawrence County (Western PA) I went to the court house, filled out the app, and paid my $25. The sheriff's office called my three contacts that I had listed within 30 minutes, and then proceeded to take a week to mail me the CWP. So I guess, even in a state you have different protocols for issuance.
    I agree that it should be the state and not local government if the state has to override the Constitution and require CWP's at all. As my father use to say. "Power corrupts and Absolute Power corrupts absolutely!" I guess we have become an "Animal Farm."
    The point is that PA State Law regulates How and When the Sherrif issues
    the license, the time frame varies because it's defined (45 days) in the law.

And if an ELECTED official (sherrif ) starts getting lax about his duties , they
    can be voted OUT.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links