Tactical Lights

Tactical Lights

This is a discussion on Tactical Lights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does having a tatical light on your carry weapon have much impact on how it fits your holster? Would you recomend that over the night ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Lights

Tactical Lights

Does having a tatical light on your carry weapon have much impact on how it fits your holster? Would you recomend that over the night sights?

Administrator
    Lights and night sights are two very different tools for different jobs. Don't confuse the use of the two.

A pistol equipped with a light will need a holster that was made with the specific light and gun combo in mind.
    "Just blame Sixto"

. i'm looking for the better of the two incase i need at night or with very very very little light around.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooguru View Post
    . i'm looking for the better of the two incase i need at night or with very very very little light around.
    Then definitely the light. If you are worried about a holster fit with a mounted light, a good quality hand held is good too. Some will argue it is better.

For a house gun, I highly recommend a mounted light.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a rail-mounted light on my primary home defense handgun, but not on my every-day concealed carry weapon. I do carry a Surefire G2Z when out and about at night, and keep one on the nightstand as well. I think for most of us, and handheld is more useful, since there are likely to be many, many more circumstances where a light is needed, but there is no justification to draw a weapon.

At home, I like having the weapon-mounted light as a form of insurance. If have to grab my handgun in the dark, I know that I also have a light with it, although my first choice would again be to use the handheld in most circumstances. At home, the extra bulk doesn't affect me, since I'm not carrying it concealed.

One thought on cost, if that's a factor: you can get a really high-quality compact handheld light (like a SureFire G2) for a lot less than a really high-quality weapon-mounted light.

My primary home defense and every-day carry handguns, both Kimber 1911s, have tritium night sights, which I like. It's a good idea to include low-light practice as part of your training regimen, of course.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Your talking about apples and oranges. Use your light to identify and temporarily blind potential BGs and to see whats behind your target. You use your night sights to target said BG. Yes you have to have a special holster. Night sights and a pocket light are ideal for carry situations because as mentioned already, there are times where you just need a light.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I personally would recommend night sights and a good hand held flashlight.

I've always thought and agreed with the stance of: I don't want my flashlight that is attached to my gun to have to be pointed at a family member or friend in the middle of the night when I go out looking for that bump in the night.

I would prefer a flashlight in my weak hand and my gun in my strong hand and then work the light independent from the gun. Then bring them together when needed. Just my $.02
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Night sights? YES! Gun-mounted light? YES! Hand-held light? YES! All for different reasons with different tactics. But when's the last time any one said, "Gee, I really wish I couldn't see the situation quite so...uh, clearly." ?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The only problem I have with holding a flashlight is I no longer have a free hand to push open doors, push back drapes, push back the bad guy.......whatever. I like having the weapon mounted light (and in my case laser as well) system. If need be, mine can easily be removed and used as a handheld flashlight. I like concentrating on one thing.... just pointing the gun and not having to think about where the light is pointed. This is of course just my humble opinion!!!

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

That's why your hand-held is best secured on a lanyard around your neck. Just drop it if you need to use your off-hand. In high-stress circumstances I don't want to be de/re-mounting my light to my gun rail. Seems a good way to shoot my finger(s) off!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

thanks for all the great input. this would b for my primary concealed weapon i only have one. so i think i'll get the nightsights and then get a sawed off shorty with a light on it

Have to agree with you tattooguru. Wise decision. Having a tactical (gun-mounted) light on your only CCW makes the "concealed" & "carry" parts of the description kinda' tough.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooguru View Post
    thanks for all the great input. this would b for my primary concealed weapon i only have one. so i think i'll get the nightsights and then get a sawed off shorty with a light on it
    That sounds like a good plan. For concealed carry, there are some excellent lights for pocket carry, or you could consider a combo rig such as this I got from Eric Larsen at HBE Specialty Leatherworks.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I've got a similar light/mag carrier set-up from Galco. (Nice Hi-Power, by-the-way. I've got a couple of those too!)

Get a good small powerful handheld for EDC on the street with Night sights. Get a mounted light for HD use. Thats what I do.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links