NYC CCW Question

This is a discussion on NYC CCW Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless its changed you need a permit to even OWN a handgun anywhere in the state of NY. I lived in Endicott, NY for 4 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NYC CCW Question

Unless its changed you need a permit to even OWN a handgun anywhere in the state of NY. I lived in Endicott, NY for 4 years and everyone I asked about it said the same thing their website does...a permit is required to own a handgun in the state of NY.
    NYC probably has a long list of crap laws itself.

The permit to OWN is hard enough to get in some counties. A carry permit is much harder and nearly impossible in most cases from what I was told. Again, NYC is a whole different animal.

2. Remove Ads

To the original poster you should consult an attorney as I've said,after all you have everything to gain and nothing to loose. The best case is you get you permit validated in NYC worse case is you come out of it how you went in with an unrestricted handgun permit from NYS.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiyathere View Post
    Hi guys, hope you can shed some light for me here.

We all know there's no chance in hell of getting a CCW permit in NYC. But what if someone were to legally buy a handgun, and carry it without a CCW permit in the city. Now, if that person were to get arrested, would he be charged with felonies, in the same way as someone with an unregistered gun would be? Or would that person be charged with simple carrying a concealed weapon BUT NOT criminal possesion of a weapon?

The basic question is, it's illegal to carry a firearm in NYC without a license (duh). But, would someone with a legal gun face the same charges as someone with an illegal one?

Thanks.
    While I'm not going to go into further details about the case...

I will say that I was at the District Attorney's Office for Bronx County 2 weeks ago speaking on behalf of someone who got pinched with a handgun in "da city".

The weapon was not loaded, not was it carried on his person.

None-the-less, this person is facing 3 years for having a handgun w/o the proper paperwork.

We are waiting to see if the DA is going to take into account his CT permit, and the other positive factors in his life, and what the disposition will be.

You DO NOT want to carry w/o a permit in NYC.

Do not do it.

Mayor Loonberg doesn't care who you are, how important you are or how much money you have. If you carry illegally in "HIS" city, you are going to jail.....period.

Every single CCW permit holder in NYS knows, you can not carry in "da city"

A resident of the State of NY can get a permit to carry in NYC. I have heard it will cost you anywhere from $6000 to $8000.....with NO GUARANTEE you will get the permit.

actually, most New Yorkers wish "Da city" would fall into the Atlantic Ocean
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiyathere View Post
    Now, if that person were to get arrested, would he be charged with felonies, in the same way as someone with an unregistered gun would be?
    This is exactly what happened to Plaxico Burress. It cost him 2 years in prison, a couple of years of probation, and millions of dollars in salary. He pled guilty to "attempting to possess an unregistered handgun" to avoid worse charges and a longer sentence.

If a person had an NYC "residence" permit to own a handgun on his premises, obviously a plea bargain would not involve an unregistered handgun, but I think it extremely likely that prosecutors would find some way to imprison the person.

It's a felony. Even if you are legally entitled to carry elsewhere, it's just not allowed in NYC. Even us legal CCW New Yorker's would get a felony rap if we caught in NYC.

Also, the law states, specifically: "No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states".
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    NY=Sullivan Act bad ,bad.

Yes you need a license to purchase a handgun anywhere in the state of NY. Yes it was possible to get a full carry years ago my father,and my 3 uncles and my grandfather all had full carry permits for NYC. All were business owners in early 1980. There have been post about this before. I have a Nassau County permit and in the handbook it states that you may not carry into NYC. Yes it is possible to obtain a permise permit still today. You have to read the questions carefully because they are written to foul you up ,so you must start the whole process over. Each time it takes appx. 8 months and some $$$ It is only valid at the permise listed on the license. It must be unloaded and in lock box to and from the range. Alot easier to buy a long gun and keep that at home for protection. If you sell high ticket items Gold,Dimonds,Jewerly or even a Doctor that deals with certain drugs it is still possible to obtain full carry. I would not want to be the test case for 2A in NYC. You could always walk in with your attorney into 1 police plaza carrying a firearm and see how that works out for you. Please let us know.

What caused the change in NYC's laws? Was it Bernhard Goetz's shooting the muggers back in the 80s? Has there been any resulting decrease (or increase, imo more likely) in crime because of the laws?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    What caused the change in NYC's laws? Was it Bernhard Goetz's shooting the muggers back in the 80s? Has there been any resulting decrease (or increase, imo more likely) in crime because of the laws?

Micheal Loonberg happened! Old Mikey thinks he knows whats best for you and your fellow citizens. Old Loonberg is making your life better whether you like it or not.

Mayor Loonberg sees the City of New York as his own little kingdom and all the citizens that live there are his servants.

To Mikey Loonberg the word "Mayor" is the Latin term for dictator
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Micheal Loonberg happened! Old Mikey thinks he knows whats best for you and your fellow citizens. Old Loonberg is making your life better whether you like it or not.

Mayor Loonberg sees the City of New York as his own little kingdom and all the citizens that live there are his servants.

To Mikey Loonberg the word "Mayor" is the Latin term for dictator
    Considering that he was given the keys to the city by the term limit being overthrown to allow him to stay in office as long as he wants, why should he think otherwise?

Doesn't matter what the office - from POTUS to dog catcher - two terms and you are out!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    We can all hope for the best.

But I wonder, would cities still be allowed to place local ordinances that prohibit CCW permits holders from CC in their city? They may not be able to charge a felony, but they could still make it worth your while to stay out of the city that did that.
    First off, I'll preference my comments by saying that the only thing I know about NY law is what I read here. However, this could not happen in MI because we have a law that says no local ordinance can be passed that contradicts state law. Maybe that's the way the people of the State of NY need to approach the problem of carrying ... focus on getting the laws changed at the state level in such a way that NYC will have to fall in line.

Is NY a shall-issue or may-issue state? Maybe that's the first step to changing the NYC laws.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Is NY a shall-issue or may-issue state? Maybe that's the first step to changing the NYC laws.
    NYC is effectively it's own state that just happens to have the rest of NYS attached to it.

Cracking NYC is going to be tough.

NY State is a may-issue state. It's up to the local judge in the county your in, and what mood he/she is in that day. You can either get a full unrestricted permit, or it can be restricted to premises/range or others. Apparently, the closer to NY City you are, the more restrictions that seem to appear.

NY City is a state unto itself. For example, if I want to carry from the Hudson Valley (where I currently reside), to Long Island (where it is perfectly legal for me to carry), I need to stop my car before I enter NYC, lock the gun and ammo separately in the trunk, drive through NYC, and as soon as I cross out of Queens into Nassau, reverse the procedure!

Crazy, no?
    Last edited by JonInNY; September 30th, 2009 at 06:11 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I read a biography a few years ago of Teddy Roosevelt that said something about the NY legislature being completely dominated by NYC. Is that still the case?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links