NYC CCW Question

This is a discussion on NYC CCW Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CJ810 I read a biography a few years ago of Teddy Roosevelt that said something about the NY legislature being completely dominated ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NYC CCW Question

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    I read a biography a few years ago of Teddy Roosevelt that said something about the NY legislature being completely dominated by NYC. Is that still the case?
    It's true to some extent. Because of the disparate population difference of NYC vs. the rest of the state, there are more representatives from NYC than elsewhere. Of course, NYC legislators are, for the most part, liberal, and anti 2nd amendment.

This is why NY State residents sometimes get upset with the legislative process, because they feel their views are not be represented fairly.
    Last edited by JonInNY; September 30th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    NY State is a may-issue state. It's up to the local judge in the county your in, and what mood he/she is in that day. You can either get a full unrestricted permit, or it can be restricted to premises/range or others. Apparently, the closer to NY City you are, the more restrictions that seem to appear.

NY City is a state unto itself. For example, if I want to carry from the Hudson Valley (where I currently reside), to Long Island (where it is perfectly legal for me to carry), I need to stop my car before I enter NYC, lock the gun and ammo separately in the trunk, drive through NYC, and as soon as I cross out of Queens into Nassau, reverse the procedure!

Crazy, no?
    It seems anywhere near a major city is a problem to get unrestricted. I have friends who live up in Syracuse or in Onondaga county in general and they have a very tough time getting unrestricted too.

Syracuse is majorly violent. Its as bad as any city I've lived near in the Northeast and I'm from NJ originally. So for that they feel the need to restrict handgun permits in Onondaga county. Of course we all know how stupid that really is since about 99.999% of all shootings in Syracuse are done by illegal guns. And it happens just about every day too.

Of course the more rural counties seem to have much easier time getting unrestricted permits.

Getting this resolved would be great for me. The company I work for has an office in the Bronx for which I have to frequent once or twice a month. Some areas are pretting disturbing to me and I would love the ability to be able to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    It seems anywhere near a major city is a problem to get unrestricted. I have friends who live up in Syracuse or in Onondaga county in general and they have a very tough time getting unrestricted too.

Syracuse is majorly violent. Its as bad as any city I've lived near in the Northeast and I'm from NJ originally. So for that they feel the need to restrict handgun permits in Onondaga county. Of course we all know how stupid that really is since about 99.999% of all shootings in Syracuse are done by illegal guns. And it happens just about every day too.

Of course the more rural counties seem to have much easier time getting unrestricted permits.
    Come to Monroe County/Rochester. The judges here seem to be fairly pro 2A. EVERYONE I know that has applied for a CCW permit in Monroe county has received a unrestricted permit?

actually, I don't know anyone with a restricted permit
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    NYC is effectively it's own state that just happens to have the rest of NYS attached to it.

Cracking NYC is going to be tough.
    Be sucking the tax dollars out of the rest of the state. NYC receives approximately 70 of every tax dollar collected in the state.

I wish the city and Loonyberg would fall into the Atlantic, it would improve the rest state
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Getting this resolved would be great for me. The company I work for has an office in the Bronx for which I have to frequent once or twice a month. Some areas are pretting disturbing to me and I would love the ability to be able to defend myself.
    Yes, The Bronx can be a little dicey, but don't hold your breath on a NY City CCW. You would have a better chance selling snowshoes in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Come to Monroe County/Rochester. The judges here seem to be fairly pro 2A. EVERYONE I know that has applied for a CCW permit in Monroe county has received a unrestricted permit? actually, I don't know anyone with a restricted permit
    It used to be the same way here in Ulster County, but we got a new judge, and I understand that he is now restricting permits.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

NYC has always been an issue. Plaxico actually lucked out. Originally a handgun gave you an automatic 1 year jail term no matter what. Now it is automatically 3 1/2 years.

My friend lives in Vestal,NY and just sold his Colt Python to buy 2 S&W M&Ps. One for him and one for his wife. They both have permits and you have to:
    Pick gun out and put a deposit on it
    Show deposit to Police
    They will issue a purchase order to be sent in mail.
    Pick up gun and bring to police to verify.
    They put both guns in both their names so it would appear on both their permits otherwise legally they could not even handle never the less shoot each other's gun.

NY on issues 2 permits, 1 for NYC and 1 for everywhere else. The restrictions on NY permits are just administrative. So if you carried your "target" permit and had to use it to defend yourself you would be legal. You would also more than likely lose your permit forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    So if you carried your "target" permit and had to use it to defend yourself you would be legal. You would also more than likely lose your permit forever.
    The only problem with carrying a "restricted" firearm, is that if you are stopped while driving, and the firearm is discovered, this would be a criminal offense.

Of course, one could always say they were "on their way to target practice", but I in no way endorse that.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links