NYC CCW Question

This is a discussion on NYC CCW Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, hope you can shed some light for me here. We all know there's no chance in hell of getting a CCW permit in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NYC CCW Question

NYC CCW Question

Hi guys, hope you can shed some light for me here.

We all know there's no chance in hell of getting a CCW permit in NYC. But what if someone were to legally buy a handgun, and carry it without a CCW permit in the city. Now, if that person were to get arrested, would he be charged with felonies, in the same way as someone with an unregistered gun would be? Or would that person be charged with simple carrying a concealed weapon BUT NOT criminal possesion of a weapon?

The basic question is, it's illegal to carry a firearm in NYC without a license (duh). But, would someone with a legal gun face the same charges as someone with an illegal one?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

One would be legal to carry in state of New York. However you would be violation of the City Code. Hence I think at worst your license will be revoked because one violated the "Not Valid in NYC" restriction. Communism. Gotta like Mayor Shroomberg! FYI, the NFL player got 2 years of jail for an unlicensed handgun. Just my thoughts

Hi and welcome to DC I'll try and help you out here as much as I can,okay here goes. First off what makes you think you can't get a CCW in NYC,have you tried yet? I knew a good friend of mine 10 years ago had an NYC carry permit its basically a premises permit thats unrestricted. Yes they are VERY tough to get BUT not impossible if you have what the licensing authority feel in a valid or compelling need to carry a load,concealed pistol in public. In my friend's case she has received death threat from her estranged soon to be ex-husband.

What are your circumstances are you a business owner or in some other high risk line of work? This may help you get a carry permit.

Try consulting an attorney knowledgeable in gun laws and they may be able to help you in the wording or preparing of your application. I know this is the case in Massachusetts where I'm from many a good people I know back there have received their unrestricted carry license,even in Boston(which is almost as bad as NYC when it comes to gun laws) after getting the help of a good firearms attorney before applying.

I will say this much for certain DO NOT CARRY YOUR GUN IN NYC WITHOUT A LICENSE TO CARRY!!! You will go to jail they have a one year gun law there called the Sullivan law. I don't know if it would AS severe as outright procession of a unregistered handgun,however carrying in NYC with out a permit to carry is probably a felony. I don' t think they could get you with having an illegal gun because the is legal for you have in your home,but not to carry it on your person. Be aware if caught you will most likely loose your gun rights for life by becoming a convicted felon,don't chance it its not worth it.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I was thinking about placing an application to have my license validated in NYC. My understanding is that, although not 100% impossible, unless one is well connected, well too do, and/or famous, one would be wasting time. There is also recurrent training and annual validations. Thanks Mayor Shroomberg for continuing the legacy.

Like I said consult an attorney in gun laws and submit you application,all they can say is not and they may say yes. Give them your honest and truthful reasons for why you feel your permit should be validated in NYC. If you have to sue them for it then sue them for it,if enough people filed lawsuits against the city for 2nd A rights violations and every permit they denied or restricted cost them money it would stop.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Consider what happened to a former Giant Football player!

"Mr. Burress had a license to carry the gun in Florida, but it had expired nearly seven months before the shooting. Even if it were valid, prosecutors said, Mr. Burress would not have been allowed to carry the weapon in New York.

Shortly after Mr. Burress reached the nightclub’s second-floor V.I.P. area, the gun slipped down his pant leg and accidentally discharged as he tried to stop it from falling to the floor. The bullet hit Mr. Burress’s leg and narrowly missed a club security guard, prosecutors said.

Mr. Burress was indicted on charges of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and faced a mandatory minimum sentence of three and a half years if convicted at trial. Last month, he pleaded to a lesser charge to receive a shorter sentence."

If the Supreme Court rules that the 2A applies to the States via the 14th Amendment, this may soon become a moot point!

With 58 Senate votes last time around, we may also get national CCW reciprocity.

Boy, wouldn't that be sweeeet!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I probably dont have a reason that the city will deem reasonable enough to give me a permit. I'm a regular citizen who just doesn't want to be a victim. I didn't know that having an attorney look into that for you may help. Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of athletes, Delonte West of the Cavaliers was caught having three guns (two handguns and a shotgun) on his person in Maryland, PG County. Maryland has laws that are about a stringent as NYC ones and he got charged with misdemeanors. I assume that was because the guns were actually licensed and he didnt have a CCW permit.

So perhaps if you carry a licensed gun without a CCW permit in NYC, it might be a misdemeanor? Or could be reduced to one?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If the Supreme Court rules that the 2A applies to the States via the 14th Amendment, this may soon become a moot point!

With 58 Senate votes last time around, we may also get national CCW reciprocity.

We can all hope for the best.

But I wonder, would cities still be allowed to place local ordinances that prohibit CCW permits holders from CC in their city? They may not be able to charge a felony, but they could still make it worth your while to stay out of the city that did that.

If you carry a firearm in NY without a NY license the arresting officer will charge you with unlicensed firearm felony and as many other charges as he can to get it to stick. After he finds out the gun is registered to you in another state thru the atf it will get knocked down.
    One more step and it's on!

Does anybody here live in NYC and have a carry license? Should I hire an attorney for the application or would that be a waste of time, effort, and money?

Best answer for you is from 1911LUVER:

"Try consulting an attorney knowledgeable in gun laws and they may be able to help you in the wording or preparing of your application. I know this is the case in Massachusetts where I'm from many a good people I know back there have received their unrestricted carry license,even in Boston(which is almost as bad as NYC when it comes to gun laws) after getting the help of a good firearms attorney before applying."

He will be able to tell you what your chances are and what type of permit you could get.

bosco

I grew up in Ny and the guns laws are pretty rediculous. I am sure that if you get caught carrying in NYC that there is going to be trouble. The carrying aspect isn't as big of a deal as if you were to shoot someone. You and I know that it would be justified and out of self defense. But that would bring out criminal possesion of a Fire Arm and a whole bunch of other problems. If you did get caught with in NYC you are looking at probably loosing you CCW and never getting it back and some other crimianl charges that would prevent you from getting a permit any were else. I live in pa now were you don't need a ccw to buy a hand gun and the process for getting a ccw is fill out the form pay the money and you get it 15 min. So I carry everywere. I solve the problem with NYC by just not going there.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    Bring Enough GUN!!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

I'm still not completely sold that the Federal Government handling national reciprociy is a good idea. On the surface, it's great, but what the federal government gives, it can easily take away. It would be better if all states just recognized all permits like they do driver licenses.
    NRA life member.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I like national reciprocity for one reason in particular, to see Bloomy try to explain why there aren't shootouts on every street.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links