It works!

This is a discussion on It works! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes some Pols get it. Some never will. We need to help those who will and vote those who will not out of office. WMass ...

Thread: It works!

VIP Member

It works!

Sometimes some Pols get it. Some never will. We need to help those who will and vote those who will not out of office.

WMass mayors targeted by NRA - MassLive.com

WMass mayors targeted by NRA
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009
    By FRED CONTRADA
    fcontrada@repub.com
    Holyoke Mayor Michael J. Sullivan has taken heat for some of his decisions, but he didn't know what is was like to draw fire until he crossed the sights of the National Rifle Association.

"I've hired a police chief from the outside," Sullivan said. "I've closed schools. I've never gotten more calls than I've gotten about this."

The powerful association of gun-rights advocates has targeted Sullivan and other local mayors who belong to the group Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Over the past few weeks, the association has sent mailings to its members denouncing the group and urging citizens to pressure their mayors to dissociate themselves from the organization.

In Easthampton, Mayor Michael A. Tautznik said he received eight to 10 responses because of the mailing, enough to convince him with withdraw from Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Tautznik, who is facing a four-way race for his job in November, said he feared the emotions stirred up by the National Rifle Association's letter would polarize the political atmosphere and distract voters from the real issues.

"This really isn't a local issue," he said. "I thought it would be quicker for the community to just end it."

Tautznik, who worked at a sporting goods store before he was elected mayor, is a gun owner and member of the National Rifle Association. Despite his withdrawal from Mayors Against Illegal Guns, he said he supports the group's mission of removing illegal guns from the streets.

"I still believe this is laudable," he said.

Founded by New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has more than 450 members from throughout the country. In a statement on its Web site, the organization says it supports the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to legally own guns.

The National Rifle Association disputes this, maintaining that Mayors Against Illegal Guns has an "anti-gun" agenda that targets law-abiding gun owners by bringing "bogus lawsuits against lawful firearm manufacturers." According to the association's site, its campaign has resulted in the withdrawal of 50 mayors from the group.

Sullivan is not among them. He said he has been in some heated discussions with citizens over the topic.

"The mission of Mayors Against Illegal Guns is to remove illegal guns from the street," he said. "If anyone has a contrary position on that, I'm sorry."

Sullivan noted that his city and nearby Springfield have had a rash of shooting deaths this year and guessed that all of them involved illegal guns.

"No one I talked to says they are for illegal guns," he said. "(The National Rifle Association) wants to make any politician fearful and not likely to stand up for what's right. It blows my mind."

Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno, another member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, has not received any feedback from citizens contacted by the National Rifle Association, according to his communications director, Thomas T. Walsh.

Northampton Mayor Mary Clare Higgins received one letter on the topic. It didn't sway her.

"I'm not going to withdraw my membership," she said.
    [emphases added]
    BTW -- What are you doing locally?
    Last edited by DaveH; September 23rd, 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added the BTW
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

I'd be on board if they simply removed the word "guns" from the title of the group.

VIP Member

More

NRA Versus Mayors Against Illegal Guns

Lately the economy and health care have taken over the headlines across the country. But the issue of gun control may be front page news very soon as the fight is re-surfacing in cities like Tallahassee.
    The National Rifle Association is currently asking people to see if their mayor has joined the Mayors Against Illegal Guns organization... and if so, to ask him or her to resign from it.
    Former NRA president Marion Hammer has asked Tallahassee Mayor John Marks to resign from the group.
    "The organization doesn't really have anything to do with illegal guns. What they actually do is lobby against the rights of of law abiding gun owners," says Hammer.
    But Marks says - not true. He says illegal guns are connected to crime.. like recent shootings in Tallahassee - one where two men were shot to death during a party at a hotel and another where three people, including a FAMU football player, were shot after a football game.. and one suspect is 17 years old - too young to lawfully buy or own a handgun.
    "To keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists and that is the fundamental objective of this organization," says Marks.
    Marks says the American Hunters and Shooters Association supports the mayors group and sent out letters this week claiming "the NRA has been sending false information about what Mayors Against Illegal Guns stands for" and says "to take them head on."
    But Hammer insists the mayors group aims to strip gun rights and urges people to also ask Marks to leave the group.
    New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg founded Mayors Against Illegal Guns in 2006. It has more than 450 members. That includes 42 Florida mayors and six Georgia mayors. Marks and Valdosta's mayor John Fretti are among them.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Yet more

East Berlin mayor's gun group affiliation raises ire - The York Daily Record

East Berlin mayor's gun group affiliation raises ire
    Council members consider censuring mayor for membership in gun-control group.
    By TIM STONESIFER
    For the Daily Record/Sunday News
    Updated: 09/21/2009 0129 PM EDT

Controversy over the East Berlin mayor's affiliation with a national gun-control group led to borough council members debating last week whether to censure him.
    At Wednesday night's meeting, several council members confronted Mayor Keith Hoffman about his affiliation with Mayors Against Illegal Guns, an organization started by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to lobby for gun-control measures.

Hoffman -- who has said his affiliation resulted from a misleading phone call from a member of that group -- has said he does not support any measure to limit the rights of legal gun owners, a move critics say the mayors' group favors.

He has called joining the group "a mistake" and said the caller "swindled" him into getting involved. He's trying to get his name removed from the organization's list, he said.

But those explanations weren't enough to satisfy several council members.

"By your signing this, you're saying East Berlin is an anti-gun town," council Vice President Robert Clayton said. "Today, you're against illegal guns, but tomorrow, who's to say it's not hunting rifles?"

Clayton believes the mayors' group -- which he first learned about through a letter sent to him from the National Rifle Association, and which he said he's since researched extensively online -- is little more than a lobbying group for Bloomberg. Hoffman's participation is unacceptable, he said.

"This is just one step farther along the road to take away our Second Amendment

rights," Clayton said. "It's just a little more each day, day by day, until your freedoms are all gone."
    Council President David Richards defended the mayor, saying that, since learning of the situation, he has researched the group and found nothing objectionable. He said he'd likely sign its petition.

"This organization is not against guns. It's against illegal guns, and there's nothing bad about that," Richards said.

But Councilwoman Doris Sabine said the mayor's decision to join the group is shows a pattern of rash acts that call for censure.

"This is just like the Tucker letter, which you didn't have the right to do," Sabine said.

Last August, Hoffman sent a letter to East Berlin businessman Bernie Tucker giving Tucker the OK to hang a large banner Tucker received from a defense contractor. The town's zoning officer later cited Tucker, saying the banner -- which featured a soldier and military vehicle in Iraq -- was too large and must be removed.

What's next
    Council members agreed to wait until Oct. 6 before pursuing any action against the mayor.

"I don't approve of this pattern and I think it's something that we still have to address," Councilwoman Doris Sabine said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'd be on board if they simply removed the word "guns" from the title of the group.
    Yep! If I found a group of mayors with the political guts to openly oppose "Illegals"...I would sent them bags of MONEY!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member

And another

Two mayors feel pressure for joining gun group - The York Daily Record

Two mayors feel pressure for joining gun group
    By TIM STONESIFER
    For the York Daily Record/Sunday News

Updated: 09/16/2009 11:45:53 AM EDT

Two local mayors are taking fire for joining a national coalition that aims to remove illegal guns from the street.
    Gettysburg Mayor William Troxell and East Berlin Mayor Keith Hoffman are two of more than 450 mayors nationwide who've lent their names to "Mayors Against Illegal Guns," an organization started in April 2006 by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg to stamp out illegally purchased guns.

But Hoffman said his participation - which began about a month ago - resulted from a misunderstanding of the group's objectives, and he's currently trying to get his name off the list.

"It was a mistake really," he said. "They swindle you in and then put your name on the list."

Hoffman explained he is a gun owner and would never support a group that would in any way limit people's rights to own guns. A letter to East Berlin citizens to explain how he was misinformed by the mayors group is forthcoming, he said.

The National Rifle Association earlier this month sent its own letter to members in both East Berlin and Gettysburg, urging them to ask their mayors to opt out of what the NRA calls "a front group to lobby Congress to oppose important pro-gun reforms."

And since that time, both Hoffman and Troxell have received complaints from residents who worry their Second Amendment rights are in danger.

"What (Hoffman's) done is put people on notice that East Berlin is an anti-gun town," said borough council Vice President Robert Clayton. "That's well beyond the duties of the mayor."

Several phone calls to Troxell seeking comment were not returned.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns was started in 2006, when 15 mayors met at Gracie Mansion in New York City in hopes of stopping the flow of illegal guns. Since then its membership has grown to more than 450.

Member mayors each sign a statement that says in part "there is no greater threat to public safety than the threat of illegal guns." Each agrees to punish to the maximum extent of the law those who use illegal guns, and to support any legislation targeting illegal guns, which the organization describes as those purchased without federally mandated background checks or through unlicensed gun dealers.

In addition, the organization recently fought against passage of the Thune Amendment, which would have allowed gun owners from states with concealed-carry laws the freedom to carry guns even in states without such laws. The Web site for Mayors Against Illegal Guns says the group does not take a position generally on concealed-carry laws.

The organization's opposition to another controversial piece of gun legislation - the Tiahrt Amendment - has drawn the ire not only of the NRA, but also the Fraternal Order of Police.

That amendment, named after its sponsor, U.S. Rep. Todd Tiahrt of Kansas, prohibits the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from releasing its trace data to anyone other than a law-enforcement officer involved in a criminal investigation. According to its supporters, the amendment is designed to keep undercover police officers safe.

The mayors' group argues the Tiahrt Amendment actually makes it harder for law enforcement to pursue criminals, and more difficult to find dealers who sell guns illegally, by marking as confidential accumulated government data that might otherwise lead to arrests.

But law enforcement groups like the Fraternal Order of Police have argued the danger to undercover police officers is not worth the risk run by more broad exposure of sensitive data, and support keeping the law in place.

The debate over Tiahrt reached its climax in 2007 when New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg called the 300,000-plus member Fraternal Order of Police a "fringe organization," prompting that group's executive director to question Bloomberg's law-enforcement expertise.

York Mayor John Brenner - who is also a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns - recently defended the group's positions, arguing such an effort is necessary to help quell gun violence in York and other towns. He said he joined the group to try and "address the serious problem of illegal guns in our communities."

But Brenner, too, has received a number of calls from NRA members who are concerned for the future of their right to bear arms, and are asking him to drop his affiliation.

According to the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, more than 40 mayors have already left the organization, a movement the NRA says is a result of disillusionment with what they consider misleading information on the part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

And local NRA supporters continue to press the point.

"Making these pronouncements is well beyond the duties of our mayor," said Robert Clayton, an NRA member. "If he refuses to resign, I think East Berlin citizens should seriously consider an impeachment."

York Mayor John Brenner also getting heat for joining group.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Theres no real mystery here, anyone who knows what Bloomberg and Menino are all about can figure out what MAIG is all about. These clowns got caught and now they're backpeddling.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

They are not against just illegal guns they are against ALL guns.
    Their agenda is the Brady Agenda
    check out the link here
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog Archive Don’t Let MAIG Get Away With This Snow Job

Glad to see not a single mayor in Utah on that list

If Bloomberg started this organization you need only look at NYC's gun laws to know what their goals are. Restriction. Restriction. Elimination.
    I live just across the Hudson and know first hand what it's like to live under their view of guns.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

1... and only 1 TX mayor is on there
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Thank goodness no mayor within a reasonable drive of me is on the list.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links