Where exactly is "in" a Federal building?

This is a discussion on Where exactly is "in" a Federal building? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This might just be a legal question, splitting hairs and out of scope for the forum, but let me pose it. Say you are a ...

Thread: Where exactly is "in" a Federal building?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Where exactly is "in" a Federal building?

This might just be a legal question, splitting hairs and out of scope for the forum, but let me pose it.

Say you are a delivery package person. You are to deliver a package to a Federal building. You are carrying concealed. You go up to the desk, before the checkpoint, before the metal scanner, before everything, and tell the clerk that you have a package for Mr. X. He comes down to get it, or you hand it to the clerk who signs for it.

If you are in the building, but not through the checkpoint, are you still required to disarm or not? I know in Oregon I can carry in the airport before the checkpoints. The Port of Portland may not like it, but I think the law is pretty clear on that. The Feds may have different opinions.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

The law for airports specifies the secure area of an airport. I don't think the law for Federal facilities has any equivalent language, so I'd say the answer is probably that you can't carry into the lobby.

This has been an issue with federal installations for years.

Have you been on a military or other federal installation lately? Have you ever noticed that the gate/guard shack is always set back from the outside perimeter? That little bit of topographical engineering resulted from incidents in the 1920s when people would pull up to the gate, find out they were going to be randomly searched, then abruptly turn around.

After being found with contraband, they would claim in court they weren't officially on the installation, but outside the gate. In response, the government moved back all the gates, so any time you pull up to a gate on a federal installation, you are legally "on" the installation.

I assume the same principle applies here. Once you cross the threshhold, you are "in" the facility.

JDL
    Inside the front door you are "in".
    Subject to search and confiscation.

Knowing the way the Federal Government thinks I’d guess even the parking lot counts

I'd say, you're good up to the point where the "NO WEAPONS BEYOND THIS POINT" sign is posted, either on the door or the window next to the door. Most of the ones I've seen are posted at the entrance to the building.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Knowing the way the Federal Government thinks Id guess even the parking lot counts
    If the building/parking lot is owned or leased by the government, then yes, the parking lot counts.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If the building/parking lot is owned or leased by the government, then yes, the parking lot counts.
    Some of the government buildings I've been in have signs that say your vehicles are subject to search.

So it may be on the premisses.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    This might just be a legal question, splitting hairs and out of scope for the forum, but let me pose it.

Say you are a delivery package person. You are to deliver a package to a Federal building. You are carrying concealed. You go up to the desk, before the checkpoint, before the metal scanner, before everything, and tell the clerk that you have a package for Mr. X. He comes down to get it, or you hand it to the clerk who signs for it.

If you are in the building, but not through the checkpoint, are you still required to disarm or not? I know in Oregon I can carry in the airport before the checkpoints. The Port of Portland may not like it, but I think the law is pretty clear on that. The Feds may have different opinions.
    Anywhere past the sign that is required to be posted according to 18 USC 930 (h) is the Federal Facility. No sign=No prosecution.

US CODE: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Links