CHL in Texas after Marijuana Charge

This is a discussion on CHL in Texas after Marijuana Charge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (Sorry if this isn't the right board.) I'm 21 and interested in getting my CHL. I live in Harris County, TX. When I was 18 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHL in Texas after Marijuana Charge

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

CHL in Texas after Marijuana Charge

(Sorry if this isn't the right board.)

I'm 21 and interested in getting my CHL. I live in Harris County, TX.

When I was 18 (2006) I was arrested for Possession of Marijuana under 2 Ounces. (I could have sworn it was a Class C Misdemeanor but everywhere online is saying it's a Class B.)

It's the only time I've ever been arrested.

I did Deferred Adjudication Probation (lasted 9 months) which I completed without any issues.

Is this something that would prevent me from getting my CHL? I've researched all over the web and this site, and I keep getting mixed answers. Some places say I have to wait 5 years from the date of my arrest, while others say I don't.

Can I get a clear answer please? Thank you!

(p.s. I tried giving all the details necessary, but if you need to know something else, feel free.)

2. Remove Ads

There was a tread about something like this not too long ago. I think it 5 yrs. after charge. But I don't know about the deferred probation.

Also I think its worth saying I hope your dope days are over.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Check at Txchlforum.com,they are texas oriented with a few lawyers on their,they can tell you exactly where you stand
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    We can only speculate. If you go ahead and apply, you will know.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    There was a tread about something like this not too long ago. I think it 5 yrs. after charge. But I don't know about the deferred probation.

Also I think its worth saying I hope your dope days are over.
    I've looked and I couldn't find anything definite. And lord forbid the clowns in state legislature write something the majority of the population can read and define clearly.

And yes, I've been 100% clean for years. Just the occasional beer here and there.

So I guess it depends on whether or not it was a Class B or Class C? Is there a website I can check?

(Thanks again for the replies.)

Ok, just saw the replies and I'll check out the link. Thanks.

If all else fails check the statutes.

Sec. 481.121. OFFENSE: POSSESSION OF MARIHUANA. (a) Except as authorized by this chapter, a person commits an offense if the person knowingly or intentionally possesses a usable quantity of marihuana.

(b) An offense under Subsection (a) is:

(1) a Class B misdemeanor if the amount of marihuana possessed is two ounces or less;
    (2) a Class A misdemeanor if the amount of marihuana possessed is four ounces or less but more than two ounces;

(3) a state jail felony if the amount of marihuana possessed is five pounds or less but more than four ounces;

(4) a felony of the third degree if the amount of marihuana possessed is 50 pounds or less but more than 5 pounds;

(5) a felony of the second degree if the amount of marihuana possessed is 2,000 pounds or less but more than 50 pounds; and

(6) punishable by imprisonment in the institutional division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life or for a term of not more than 99 years or less than 5 years, and a fine not to exceed $50,000, if the amount of marihuana possessed is more than 2,000 pounds.

Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 2.02, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

According to texas CHL laws it looks like you have to wait 5 years from conviction
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Just make sure when you apply be totally honest about past indisgressions (sp). I was and I got my permit. Albeit it was a much, much longer period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    Just make sure when you apply be totally honest about past indisgressions (sp). I was and I got my permit. Albeit it was a much, much longer period of time.
    In Tx they don't care how honest you are Dui's etc it's a 5 year wait til you apply,if you apply before the time has expired you not only get a denial but they keep your $150.00

In regard to a CHL, I believe that a deferred adjucation disposition is treated the same as a conviction. Sounds like you need to wait 5 years from the date of disposition.

If you want to game the system... You might find that other states have varying standards for CHL's (Texas is quite stringent compared to alot of shall-issue states). Find a state with reciprocity, look into their standards, and if you meet them, you could try applying for a non-resident CHL.

Look like you permit just went up in 'smoke' for a few years.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Look like you permit just went up in 'smoke' for a few years.
    hahaha good one ^^^

VIP Member
    Application can't be made until 5 years after the end of the adjudicated probation period. You will have to wait awhile. Possession of Marijuana has never been a Class C misdemeanor in Tx.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

So, for instance, if you got a Utah permit, you could still carry legally in Texas even though - by Texas laws - you couldn't have a permit?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    So, for instance, if you got a Utah permit, you could still carry legally in Texas even though - by Texas laws - you couldn't have a permit?
    I wouldn't dance around the law like that. Say you get pulled over and they see you have a texas DL and a Utah CHP - the officer is going to think SOMETHING is fishy. It wouldn't look good at best - it could end worse with charges or revocation of your utah permit - who knows. It stinks, you made a mistake - wait the 5 years (you earned it) and move on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links