About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

This is a discussion on About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My gun goes EVERYWHERE that I go. If I can't carry in your store I don't go in your store. I will not compromise my ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

My gun goes EVERYWHERE that I go. If I can't carry in your store I don't go in your store. I will not compromise my safety for anyone and as far as stores, there are way to many who would like to do business with me and my gun for me to give any of my hard earned money to someone who doesn't respect our 2nd ammendment. . .especially for a gun purchase!
    NRA Golden Eagles / Life Member
    "They can have my guns, one round at a time. . ."

2. Remove Ads

Doesn't matter in Florida what they post...

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Had a local gunshop actually ask me if I was CC in a loud enough voice that everyone suddenly looked at me. No I wasn't printing, I review differant products and one of my lastest ones is from Maxpedition, and its a shoulder bag called the Fatboy Versipack. It has a CC pocket, but needless to say I was furious. Needless to say I will no longer shop there at all. Also it was the Owner of the store that did it.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    Wow....a GUN shop that prohibits guns
    I absolutely DONT understand their stance. Theyre selling guns and supposedly for the 2nd amendment, then strip their customers of their right to defend themselves with their guns ???

Frankly, this store would get a 'No Guns/No money" flyer/card and Id never shop there again.
    http://web77.org/shotgunhunting/gall...g.d/medium.jpg

The gun stores around town here where I live all encourage CC from what Ive seen. Its crazy for a gun store to have any other position.
    Yep, but I like these MUCH better: Free "No Guns, No Money" Cards

The one gun store I've been in locally has a range and has a sign that says guns are to be unloaded and in a bag. I haven't checked to see about cc while in the store yet.

Every employee, or nearly every one of them, in the store is open carrying though. The policy for customers could be to avoid confusion about people's intentions, to avoid confusing customers' own weapons with merchandise as a loss prevention policy, and to avoid accidents from idiots.

There are gun shop owners in the forum, right? What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Some of the guys at gun stores can be incredibly knowledgeable, and sometimes they can be surprisingly disinterested in guns.
    At this store I was very impressed with the knowlege of everyone I talked to and their helpful attitude despite being jam packed every time I've been there.
    Last edited by CJ810; September 23rd, 2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: quote

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    This is an "oxy-moron". They wouldnt get my business and I would tell them that.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

i think for the most part shops frown on open carry, mostly because just about anybody with no training can do it and it might be unnerving to customers.

dont ask, dont tell is the best policy.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Doesn't matter in Florida what they post...
    No, it doesn't, but I would still not shop there based upon personal principles.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No, it doesn't, but I would still not shop there based upon personal principles.
    as usual you are right on the money!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    That's the thing, I don't know the circumstances that occurred prior to the sign as I don't remember it a while back when I was there. I don't go there often at all, maybe a couple times a year to browse.

It could be like you said, some idiot unholstering his weapon and putting others in an uneasy state of mind.
    But just like Gander Mountain down the road here...their policy is that if you come in concealed, which they are fine with, the gun is to STAY concealed. If you take it out they may ask you to leave the store.
    If youre bringing in a gun for repair it cant be concealed when you come in.
    I think thats a very good policy.
    Firstly it keeps concealed guns concealed so no idiots pulling out their cc weapon.
    Secondly it helps to ensure that guns to be worked on ARENT loaded to begin with when theyre given to the GS.

Just because some lackwit did something wrong 3 weeks ago doesnt mean the store should prohibit CC. What it means is that they need rules that say if you are CCing and you remove your gun from its holster youre going to be forcibly ejected from the premises.

No guns, no money....regardless of the reasoning.
    Dont put the rest of us at risk over the idiocy of the few.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    The one gun store I've been in locally has a range and has a sign that says guns are to be unloaded and in a bag. I haven't checked to see about cc while in the store yet.

Every employee, or nearly every one of them, in the store is open carrying though. The policy for customers could be to avoid confusion about people's intentions, to avoid confusing customers' own weapons with merchandise as a loss prevention policy, and to avoid accidents from idiots.

There are gun shop owners in the forum, right? What do you guys think?

At this store I was very impressed with the knowlege of everyone I talked to and their helpful attitude despite being jam packed every time I've been there.
    Right it's like this. Everyone who works there is OC and they, at least I don't think so, put this sign up recently so something must have happened.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    But just like Gander Mountain down the road here...their policy is that if you come in concealed, which they are fine with, the gun is to STAY concealed. If you take it out they may ask you to leave the store.
    If youre bringing in a gun for repair it cant be concealed when you come in.
    I think thats a very good policy.
    Firstly it keeps concealed guns concealed so no idiots pulling out their cc weapon.
    Secondly it helps to ensure that guns to be worked on ARENT loaded to begin with when theyre given to the GS.

Just because some lackwit did something wrong 3 weeks ago doesnt mean the store should prohibit CC. What it means is that they need rules that say if you are CCing and you remove your gun from its holster youre going to be forcibly ejected from the premises.

No guns, no money....regardless of the reasoning.
    Dont put the rest of us at risk over the idiocy of the few.
    Oh I completely agree. It just got me thinking about it today and decided to post about it to get thoughts.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    I wouldnt even go inside. They dont acknowledge the second amendment. They just want your money!!!!

YEP !!!! I know of one shop like that, and they are skiddish and just into it for the money.

I have never walked into a gun shop I couldn't CC in,now the gun range wants your weapons unloaded before entering that you will be shooting,I never shoot the gun I'm carrying and will swap out before the range if I wanta practice with my EDC.They don't want anybody getting shot by some idiot that thinks his gun is unloaded
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside. Now, for someone who carrys all the time would removing their weapon be undesirable? The place even offers CCW classes and gear for sale. I understand their reasons for not wanting someone concealed inside the store. What would someone do if they carry all the time and want to stop and take a look around? Would you just go in confident nobody is gonna notice anyway, would you remove your weapon inside the vehicle (and risk ppl seeing you do so)? Would you just not bother to stop in?
    Unfortunately, in MI, ANY sign is enough to keep a firearm out, CC or OC.

There is a gun dealer here with explicit "all firearms must be unloaded and in cases" signs and there is another dealer without such signs. I bet you can guess which one I no longer go to and which one has friendly staff. I'm also pretty sure which one will be receiving all my future firearm purchases.

If you need a hint, well, it ain't the one with the sign...

-M

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links