About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... - Page 3

About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

This is a discussion on About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep in mind my comments are made as an Oregon citizen, a state in which posted signs are legally meaningless. If asked to leave, however, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

Keep in mind my comments are made as an Oregon citizen, a state in which posted signs are legally meaningless. If asked to leave, however, one must do so or be subject to violation under the criminal trespass statutes.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Now, for someone who carrys all the time would removing their weapon be undesirable?
    Yes, undesirable.

I carry always. Going inside a shop, I will not disarm. If I see such a sign and am asked, I'll leave. Once asked or if the staff makes a thing about their dislike of CHL carriers, I find another shop with which I'll do business. The staff at this shop get to know why. They'll be left to deal with their policy as they see fit.

Would you just go in confident nobody is gonna notice anyway ...
    Sure.

... would you remove your weapon inside the vehicle (and risk ppl seeing you do so)?
    Nope.

About the only time in the past ~5yrs I can recall disarming on the fly was in a sheriff's facility. Asking later, it was determined that it's not illegal to carry there, though they post because of the on-site indoor range facility in order to avoid folks bringing in firearms and negligently failing to first unload the damned things. Understandable, but still not enough reason for me to disarm my self-defense carry sidearm.

The second time was also at another sheriff's facility, at a facility where H2H combative training was done. It was a strict no-weapons zone: no firearms, knives, keys, any sharp objects, any metal objects, anything that could damage a person or fall out of a pocket during training. Generally, most of the deputies coming in for training would do so in specific clothing designed for such activities. I and others were in, that day, to see what the facility was like and to have demonstrations of how the facility was used by deputies for training. Still, having anythingin the pockets was verboten. We passed through a small doorway, were searched, emptied our pockets, had the wand scan us, then we were cleared. I simply notified a deputy I was armed, and we locked it up along with everything from my pockets. No big deal. It's how they handle everyone who comes into that facility.

Would you just not bother to stop in?
    If the staff made mention of the problem they have, yes.

But that's just me. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

well considering how the economy is right now, if they put up a no guns sign, well im going down the road to another shop that will gladly accept my money and my weapons.

Bottom line, there are stores out there that allow it and those are the stores that will get my money...

I think you should go in, look around, look at some high end guns, express a desire to buy one, "happen" to notice the sign, and hand them a "NO GUNS,NO CASH CARD" and walk out. You might also comment something like "what kind of idiot gun store is it that teaches CCW and then acts like a Sarah Brady wannabe is this". Tell them they have no respect for the Constitution or their customers . Don't scream out obnoxiously, but loud enough for other customers to hear.

Signs here carry no criminal act for violating. However, if a gun store were to post such a sign, I don't see a reason to patronize his business. Do you?

I mean, the poor guy down the road is struggling just as much to keep his doors open, remain compliant with the ATF, trying to keep abreast of all the anti-gun legislation. If he has the wherewithal to realize he's in business to sell guns to legal citizens and will not post a silly gun free zone sign... don't you think he deserves your patronage more than the other idiot?

Of course he does. And I will act accordingly.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

+1 for Astute

Re: no gun = no sale card

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    Wow....a GUN shop that prohibits guns
    I absolutely DONT understand their stance. Theyre selling guns and supposedly for the 2nd amendment, then strip their customers of their right to defend themselves with their guns ???

Frankly, this store would get a 'No Guns/No money" flyer/card and Id never shop there again.
    http://web77.org/shotgunhunting/gall...g.d/medium.jpg

The gun stores around town here where I live all encourage CC from what Ive seen. Its crazy for a gun store to have any other position.
    The card says...see the reverse. What's on the reverse?
    Thanks
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

I don't pay much attention to the signs here in Utah as I'm not required to. BUT, If I ever see any location that sells guns and/or ammo that has a sign like that, I WILL NOT shop their. That is hypocrisy to the extreme! They would also get a nice letter from me about their gun policy.

The gun stores around here usually say something to the effect that all guns must stay holstered. If you are bringing the gun in to be looked at, then it must be unloaded and checked at the front counter.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

I understand their reasons for not wanting someone concealed inside the store.
    I sure don't.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! If I can't carry in a gun store they certainly wouldn't get my business and I would let them know about it!
    Member of:
    National Rifle Association
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    Defensive Carry
    United States Conceal Carry Association

cmb
    I wouldn't go in either... I have seen signs that say "no loaded weapons" and I take that to mean if you are bringing one in for smithing or to deal or something it shouldn't be loaded, and I would go the next step to secure it via lock so they know I am careful. My wife did however take it to mean my carry weapon. Doesn't matter because of our laws and I would leave if asked.

VIP Member
    If the problem is people taking out their guns ( idiots), why not put up signs that say " All concealed weapons must remain holstered at all times or you will be asked to leave"?
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

So we all know that not everyone that carries is proficient with their weapons and we have all seen people fumble around while trying to unload.

They probably don't want someone pulling out a loaded pistol and trying to unload it so they can have a clerk look at it for trade in value.

That exact thing happened to me while I was in my local gun shop and the customer was trying to unload his Glock and catch the round coming out of the chamber and ended up pointing the muzzle right at me. I cussed his up one side and down the other and had a ral hard time not taking a swing at him.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In GA, the sign doesn't have any weight behind it anyway. I do it all the time.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    But just like Gander Mountain down the road here...their policy is that if you come in concealed, which they are fine with, the gun is to STAY concealed. If you take it out they may ask you to leave the store.
    If youre bringing in a gun for repair it cant be concealed when you come in.
    I think thats a very good policy.
    Firstly it keeps concealed guns concealed so no idiots pulling out their cc weapon.
    Secondly it helps to ensure that guns to be worked on ARENT loaded to begin with when theyre given to the GS. .
    I stopped by Cabelles in PA a few weeks ago and they too had a sign close to the one above. If you CC keep it there if a gun is coming in for repair stop by the front desk to have it checked. I thought it was well written and clear to the point. I too would not want somebody to be waiving/sweeping a firearm around.

I would also spend my $$$ elsewhere
    Screw 'em
    When I leave my house in the morning........I take all of my Rights with me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links