About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... - Page 4

About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

This is a discussion on About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hadn't really thought about it, but every shop and range I can think of has signs stating no loaded or concealed firearms. I can't ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

I hadn't really thought about it, but every shop and range I can think of has signs stating no loaded or concealed firearms. I can't think of a single one that doesn't. I can sort-of understand the loaded part as there are a lot of knuckleheads out there that would clear a weapon in the middle of store while it's pointed in the general direction of other patrons.

I actually asked a shop keep once about it and he mentioned he doesn't usually mind, but related a story whereby a person needed some smithing done on a gun. The yahoo pops out the gun from his holster, drops the mag, racks the slide and catches the round in mid-air all in a single, smooth action. Okay, I'm guessing that sounds pretty cool to some, but I wouldn't consider it safe handling especially since there were other patrons in the store. Catch the mag wrong, focusing on the round in the air rather than the firearm, etc.

I'm also aware of another store/range, Knights, where one of the shop keeps asked to look at a patrons firearm because it was really nice, new or something. The Idiot (shop worker mind you) points the gun up at an angle and pulls the trigger. Need I mention there was a round in the chamber?!? Needless to say, he was fired.

So I can understand being unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside. Now, for someone who carrys all the time would removing their weapon be undesirable? The place even offers CCW classes and gear for sale. I understand their reasons for not wanting someone concealed inside the store. What would someone do if they carry all the time and want to stop and take a look around? Would you just go in confident nobody is gonna notice anyway, would you remove your weapon inside the vehicle (and risk ppl seeing you do so)? Would you just not bother to stop in?
    They will notice you. I just do not go in and spend my $$$$ there. At the Sportman's Warehouse they just request you do not unholster your side arm - if you do you will be asked to leave. If you need to fit a rifle, shotgun, sidearm, etc for a sling or holster or whatever - just have it unloaded and checked at customer service. I think that is reasonable. I understand they have insurance and liability issues like any business.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    In GA, the sign doesn't have any weight behind it anyway. I do it all the time.
    Really? No legal weight? You have got to be kidding? I don't know what you have been told, but here in GA, and anywhere for that matter, if you know and understand no firearms - then you are trespassing and can be arrested. Sure, most will just ask you to leave. Everyone is under the misconception that trespassing does not take place until AFTER you have been requested to leave. You have been requested if you have been verbally or visually told not to enter with a firearm. But you can be arrested from the get go. What happens in front of the judge is anyone's guess. But I do not want an arrest on my record.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Really? No legal weight? You have got to be kidding? I don't know what you have been told, but here in GA, and anywhere for that matter, if you know and understand no firearms - then you are trespassing and can be arrested. Sure, most will just ask you to leave. Everyone is under the misconception that trespassing does not take place until AFTER you have been requested to leave. You have been requested if you have been verbally or visually told not to enter with a firearm. But you can be arrested from the get go. What happens in front of the judge is anyone's guess. But I do not want an arrest on my record.
    WRONG!
    It's only trespassing if the weapon is noticed and you're ask to leave and you refuse to do so!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Aside from Gander Mountain, I don't think I've ever been to a gun shop in Jacksonville that wasn't posted no carry. Certainly every gun show I've been to is posted no carry down here.

Looking at how weapons are carelessly handled by people shopping for handguns, I understand the logic behind the signs. I don't like it, but I understand it.

As others have pointed out, the posted signs don't really restrict you from carrying in FL. Just remember that concealed means concealed.

most of the gun shops i go to here in orlando have some sort of no loaded weapon sign....can't remember being to a shop thats just for guns that doesn't have a sign actually. gander mountain and bass pro don't have anything posted that i see. i don't understand it either, guess its insurance thing or the knowledge that people make mistakes?.....no clue

Personally I dont understand the no carry signs. Especially in gun stores.
    In Ohio, at least, by the time we can legally carry a gun we've had TRAINING so that we dont handle our guns carelessly.
    Its wrong to assume that everyones an idiot and even more wrong to deprive them of their defense just because they come into your store.
    If the gun stores in my area had a gun buster sign they simply wouldnt get my money. Ill shop on line before Ill financially support those who would deprive me of my ability to protect my wife and my grandson.

For a GUN store to have a no guns sign proves one thing. They DONT care about the 2nd amendment and our rights....theyre just in it for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    They will notice you. I just do not go in and spend my $$$$ there. At the Sportman's Warehouse they just request you do not unholster your side arm - if you do you will be asked to leave. If you need to fit a rifle, shotgun, sidearm, etc for a sling or holster or whatever - just have it unloaded and checked at customer service. I think that is reasonable. I understand they have insurance and liability issues like any business.
    Absolutely reasonable.
    Just telling customers not to unholster their guns is quite enough. Stripping them of their ability to defend themselves is...well....something Obama would do.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I would simply tell them that if they don't want my business, I will be more than happy not to give it to them.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Name the Offenders

I'm not aware of any in my area but, perhaps someone should start a thread "NAMING" offending gun shops and their location.

And remembering to revisit the thread if the shop changes policy.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Sad they won't let you carry in there but they'll sure take your money if you want to spend it there. Just like everyone else wrote. Take your money else where and let them know why.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I would go inside to drop off one of these.....

Quote Originally Posted by monsterbass View Post
    I wouldnt even go inside. They dont acknowledge the second amendment. They just want your money!!!!
    Free "No Guns, No Money" Cards
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I would not shop there.

One of our local gun shops/ranges has a sign posted outside that states something along the lines of "All guns must be unloaded prior to entering our store. Customers with a CCW permit are welcome to carry their gun loaded provided it stays holstered at ALL times while in the store".

That to me seams entirely reasonable.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

They'd be off my list permanently. I'd NEVER advise anyone to break the law, but with more and more mess happening in more and more places, I care less and less about the pure legalities of carrying.

Keep on walking,.. There is plenty of other gun stores that will take you money while you carry... No-carry = No-shoppy... :-)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links