About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... - Page 5

About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

This is a discussion on About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Print some of these up and when you see a store, any store, with the no gun sign, give them this! If you do not ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

Print some of these up and when you see a store, any store, with the no gun sign, give them this!

If you do not say anything, how will they know that they are the loser?

In Virginia, private entities have right the to determine if they want to allow guns or not (as they should).
    If they want to allow guns, they can just not post anything. If they want to allow only open or only concealed carry they can post that preference, if they want no guns at all they can post as such.

It is not illegal to ignore the posting, but if they ask you to leave you must or you are trespassing. Trespassing IS illegal.

I carry well concealed. As far as I know I have never been made by anybody since I've been carrying (over 3 years). Personally, I never look for signs. If I saw one I'd ignore it. I probably have carried in places that are posted but never realized it. I just mind my own business. If I am ever noticed and asked to leave I will; telling them that through their poor decision they lost a customer permanently and they also lost as many other people as I can convince not to frequent their establishment.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I've got 3 shops I frequent. One is a Pawn/gun shop. All of the employees carry CC. Most of the customers do too. I OC in there frequently. Actually, I've gotten more discussion about OC from them than anybody else.

OC,ed in another shop. Checked out an xd. Talked to a couple folks. No problem.

Dick's Sporting goods, OC'd with several employees at different times. Bought ammo for my carry gun while OC, no problem. One guy asked what I was carrying.

The range I use has the usual weapons unloaded, slide open sign. All the employees OC. Talked to several customers who were CC and not unloaded. Employees did not care. Normally I empty the gun in the car, and walk across the parking lot with the mag in my hand and the action open.

All gun shows are no loaded weapons areas around here. Sometimes per state law, state fairgrounds, otherwise it just seems to be the SOP.

FWIW, I would not do business with a store that did not allow CC or OC. The only reason I mention the OC here is if that is allowed I am certain CC is OK with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    Wow....a GUN shop that prohibits guns.
    Never in my life did I believe that I would hear of a gun shop barring CHL permit carrying in the store.

Run -- don't walk -- away from this establishment. Of all places, they certaininly don't deserve any of your business. You might blame such an attitude held by a restaurant on ignorance. However, for the gun shop there is no excuse except extreme arrogance.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I sure don't.
    Some joker will be showing everyone he's carrying and then get bold and unholster... I can see it. There's always one guy who wants to make it big joke and doesn't take his rights seriously.

Lets be clear, I don't shop there. I look around. I basically look everywhere and see what everyone has to offer. If I wanted to buy a gun or something I have my sources from which to do so. I just happend by one day and said "lets take a quick look" and I noticed the sign. I proceeded in anyway, looked for 5-10min and left. Usually I just browse to see if anything "interesting" is in the used section. As for "they will notice" that's not true. I bent over looking at the 1911 case and a guy looked right at me, said nothing. Then again when I carry I look like everyone else. T-Shirt and all.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSP101 View Post
    Personally I dont understand the no carry signs. Especially in gun stores.
    In Ohio, at least, by the time we can legally carry a gun we've had TRAINING so that we dont handle our guns carelessly.
    Its wrong to assume that everyones an idiot and even more wrong to deprive them of their defense just because they come into your store.
    If the gun stores in my area had a gun buster sign they simply wouldnt get my money. Ill shop on line before Ill financially support those who would deprive me of my ability to protect my wife and my grandson.

For a GUN store to have a no guns sign proves one thing. They DONT care about the 2nd amendment and our rights....theyre just in it for the money.
    That's definitely not the case here. The training we had to do was laughable at best. My instructor went above and beyond, but consistently pointed out the required portions versus what we were learning. If my experience was solely what the state required of me, I wouldn't be comfortable with me walking into a gun store and handling a loaded weapon with patrons around.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest, gun shops in Oregon has this policy. On another forum, it was defended:

Does Keiths Sporting Goods Apply - Oregon Concealed Carry

Not saying I agree....just passing on info.

We had a simple policy at the gun shop/range I worked at ......
    If it comes in in a holster, it stays in the holster

We carried a very large selection of holsters and if someone carrying wanted to try a new holster I would hand them a set of muffs and have them step into the range to unload and make safe (lock slide to the rear), after I confirmed the piece was safe we would look at holsters.

One thing you do not want to do is "charge" through the front door, gun in hand in a shooting position (barrel pointing forward) with your finger on the trigger. Had an "urban youth" do that once, he was looking for an extended "clip" for his Hi-Point "fo-ty". He found himself looking down the barrel of my Para .45 and a fraction of a second from dying.

Find a better gun shop, and make sure to tell them the reason you frequent their store and not the other stores.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    If the problem is people taking out their guns ( idiots), why not put up signs that say " All concealed weapons must remain holstered at all times or you will be asked to leave"?
    That is pretty much the policy at my local fun shop.
    The complete policy is here:
    ccw
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I agree that gun stores, as well as all stores should not have a "No Carry" policy. Unfortunately I have been in many gun stores where a customer pulls out his handgun and waves it around to show another customer. My solution would just be a sign that said "Personnal Handguns MUST remain holstered at all times or you will be asked to leave" The customer can go outside and show his handgun.

The gun shop here in Eugene has that sign up, I asked the owner about it, and he said that they had a ND in the store after 3 days of being open.. He stated that his insurance now requires that sign be posted, but said I am welcome to come in with my weapon concealed on me as long as he doesn’t see it he doesn’t care.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    So we all know that not everyone that carries is proficient with their weapons and we have all seen people fumble around while trying to unload.

They probably don't want someone pulling out a loaded pistol and trying to unload it so they can have a clerk look at it for trade in value.

That exact thing happened to me while I was in my local gun shop and the customer was trying to unload his Glock and catch the round coming out of the chamber and ended up pointing the muzzle right at me. I cussed his up one side and down the other and had a ral hard time not taking a swing at him.
    This is very very true, however, at the gun shop I work at we welcome anyone to carry their CCW. We don't even have a sign posted at all, however, we do ask that any weapons that are going to be unholstered, i.e. trade-ins etc., are cleared outside and brought in unloaded.

I have had way too many muzzles pointed at me from across the counter
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Thumbs up

We had a simple policy at the gun shop/range I worked at ...... If it comes in in a holster, it stays in the holster
    The way to minimize risk is to eliminate the tool completely, but that violates what we're all trying to achieve in the first place with the 2A. So, of all solutions, I think this one is the best. Everyone who handles firearms in the first place must be personally responsible for one's own actions around them. It would seem everyone should be able to simply keep it stowed, if it's for defensive purposes, otherwise it can be properly unloaded then brought to the store in a proper storage/travel container that clearly indicates its purpose.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The way to minimize risk is to eliminate the tool completely, but that violates what we're all trying to achieve in the first place with the 2A. So, of all solutions, I think this one is the best. Everyone who handles firearms in the first place must be personally responsible for one's own actions around them. It would seem everyone should be able to simply keep it stowed, if it's for defensive purposes, otherwise it can be properly unloaded then brought to the store in a proper storage/travel container that clearly indicates its purpose.
    I assume by

So, of all solutions, I think this one is the best.

You mean what follows, namely:
    Everyone who handles firearms in the first place must be personally responsible for one's own actions around them.
    or were you referring to:

If it comes in in a holster, it stays in the holster
    I either case I agree.

All the arguments for not carrying in gun shops/ gun shows are exactly the same as those the hoplophobic use for restricting carry in the crazy patchwork quilt of no guns in/on/at "X" -- e.g., airport parking lots, airport terminals, any public building, any venue that charges admission, bars, buses, churches, colleges, concerts, funeral, libraries, parades, parks, protest, public gathering, road side rest areas, sport events, stadiums, trains, to name a few.

However, there is no evidence that there is any higher rate of gun related problems in State "a", which allows legal carry in one of these places/events than there is in State "b", which denies legal carry in one of these places/events.

In addition, those States which have the most of this "but not here" nonsense restrictions are the ones where the antis have lost the battle to ban out right or extremely restrict carry and now they are fighting a rear guard action to make it as logistically hard as they can for us to avoid run afoul of the law.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links