About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store...

This is a discussion on About gun shops that prohibit/frown upon concealed carry inside the store... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside. Now, for someone who ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside. Now, for someone who carrys all the time would removing their weapon be undesirable? The place even offers CCW classes and gear for sale. I understand their reasons for not wanting someone concealed inside the store. What would someone do if they carry all the time and want to stop and take a look around? Would you just go in confident nobody is gonna notice anyway, would you remove your weapon inside the vehicle (and risk ppl seeing you do so)? Would you just not bother to stop in?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I wouldnt even go inside. They dont acknowledge the second amendment. They just want your money!!!!

That's the biggest bunch of crap I've heard in a long time...... I would not shop there again.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside. Now, for someone who carrys all the time would removing their weapon be undesirable? The place even offers CCW classes and gear for sale. I understand their reasons for not wanting someone concealed inside the store. What would someone do if they carry all the time and want to stop and take a look around? Would you just go in confident nobody is gonna notice anyway, would you remove your weapon inside the vehicle (and risk ppl seeing you do so)? Would you just not bother to stop in?
    Wow....a GUN shop that prohibits guns
    I absolutely DONT understand their stance. Theyre selling guns and supposedly for the 2nd amendment, then strip their customers of their right to defend themselves with their guns ???

Frankly, this store would get a 'No Guns/No money" flyer/card and Id never shop there again.
    http://web77.org/shotgunhunting/gall...g.d/medium.jpg

The gun stores around town here where I live all encourage CC from what Ive seen. Its crazy for a gun store to have any other position.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I've seen a few shops around my area that have signs in the window telling people not to carry concealed inside.
    Will they allow you to open carry though?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    A no gun sign anywhere simply means I go somewhere else to spend my money, period. Same goes for a gun shop.
    Fortunately the world best gun shop is no more than a 15 minute drive for me
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well, it's more than one place which is why I mentioned it here. I just like to look around sometimes on a whim.

Plus if you see the areas some of them are in...the types of people who walk through the door, well i'll just say it's alright to be nervous about them.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Those signs carry no weight of law here. If they discover you are CCW and ask you to leave you'll have to or you could be arrested for trespassing. It's not about 2A, it's about private property, safety and liability.

I dunno, I can sure understand how enough idiots could make a gun shop owner say no more loaded guns in his/her store. If my favorite gun shop did put up a sign then I'd have a chat with the owner before I just stopped shopping there.

So far though, none of the gun shops in my area prohibit CCW.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Those signs carry no weight of law here. If they discover you are CCW and ask you to leave you'll have to or you could be arrested for trespassing.

I dunno, I can sure understand how enough idiots could make a gun shop owner say no more loaded guns in his/her store. If my favorite gun shop did put up a sign then I'd have a chat with the owner before I just stopped shopping there.

So far though, none of the shops in my area prohibit CCW.
    That's the thing, I don't know the circumstances that occurred prior to the sign as I don't remember it a while back when I was there. I don't go there often at all, maybe a couple times a year to browse.

It could be like you said, some idiot unholstering his weapon and putting others in an uneasy state of mind.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Went the pet store on Saturday and had some time to kill, so I thought I'd stop at the nearby gun shop and scope out some new handgun stock.

I saw the "No Carry" sign from 20 ft away and just U turned. They weren't high on my list to start off with, but now they're not even on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eirerogue View Post
    Went the pet store on Saturday and had some time to kill, so I thought I'd stop at the nearby gun shop and scope out some new handgun stock.

I saw the "No Carry" sign from 20 ft away and just U turned. They weren't high on my list to start off with, but now they're not even on it.
    Yeah, I actually just like to go everywhere and ask how ammo is doing (can they get it easy, prices etc).

If I'm buying a firearm I have 2 places and 2 places only (becides ordering online and doing transfer).
    -Thomas Jefferson

my shop welcomes cc if they didn't no money form me.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

We have a similar problem here. I bent over to pick up something I dropped and the guy at the counter saw part of my concealed weapon. He ask if it was loaded and I told him that there wasn't a round in the tube and it wasn't loaded. He got upset and told me I was breaking the law sense he saw the gun. He says he wants the gun locked open when I enter the shop. I have never run into this at any other range.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    One local store and indoor rang has a sign on the door that says weapons should unloaded with action open. I figure they mean guns in my range bag, etc.

I actually inquired at the Reno Cabela's because they have a check your guns here desk. I asked the gentleman if it applied to carry weapons, and he answered that is was just for guns that were brought in the open. He said as long as I didn't plan on getting my carry piece out, there was no need for him to check it.

My recommendation would be to just ask them what they mean by their sign.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I bent over to pick up something I dropped and the guy at the counter saw part of my concealed weapon. He ask if it was loaded and I told him that there wasn't a round in the tube and it wasn't loaded. He got upset and told me I was breaking the law sense he saw the gun.
    I was asking one of the guys at a local gun store some questions about types of ammo, seeing what he thought about the kind I was buying.

I'm a big time newbie so I wanted some advice. I came away thinking he didn't know much more than me.

Some of the guys at gun stores can be incredibly knowledgeable, and sometimes they can be surprisingly disinterested in guns. It sounds like that guy who got upset didn't really understand the law.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links