Comments on ammo shortage

This is a discussion on Comments on ammo shortage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; in my area a few of the people that buy up ammo and are reselling the stuff. Others are stocking up for resale later if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments on ammo shortage

in my area a few of the people that buy up ammo and are reselling the stuff. Others are stocking up for resale later if a ban ensues.

Lots of people are taking CCW classes that require a shooting portion.

THe business to be in is ammo. Make it and sell it, in this economy its guns and ammo that beats the economic trend.

2. Remove Ads

The .380 problem has been caused by both the run on ammo, but also due to the fact that manufacturers have introduced several new pistols chambered in that caliber targeted for the concealed carry market.

As far as the overall shortage, I believe the manufacturers. I have heard from several reliable sources about the demand and extra shifts and round-the-clock output, and it all makes sense.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    That Yahoo is just now catching on to this is amazing. "Well look who just caught up!"
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I have quietly amassed 8300 rounds of 9mm over the last year. I don't consider myself a hoarder, but wanted some on-hand as we just started shooting handguns just over a year ago. We need to practice.

My wife and I standardized on the 9mm round to makes things easier and I am glad we did. I would simply backorder the ammo online, and wait patiently for three months or so until they shipped it. It worked fine - I just needed the patience.

BTW, I was flipping channels last night and caught that loon "Dog". He was digging through some dirtbag's trash and found a box of Blazer Brass 9mm ball ammo with one cartridge in it and he says, "Hey, 9mm! These are cop killers!"

What a tool bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    BTW, I was flipping channels last night and caught that loon "Dog". He was digging through some dirtbag's trash and found a box of Blazer Brass 9mm ball ammo with one cartridge in it and he says, "Hey, 9mm! These are cop killers!"

What a tool bag.
    Have you noticed what he is "armed" with? A paint-ball gun!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I emailed the White House web page asking the president to make a public announcement stating he won't go after guns and ammo. In an attempt to curb some of these ammo shortages.

Surprise, here I sit still holding my breath.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Have you noticed what he is "armed" with? A paint-ball gun!!!
    He's a convicted felon.

No ammo shortage here, but then I started buy two years ago...we were all warned.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Hoarder=a name that the unprepared call the prudent.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I still find that 12 gauge ammunition is still easy to obtain. Finding 9mm ammo has been getting a little easier but still not as widely available as it was a couple years ago.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

This does bring up question that I've been pondering for a while now? How much 12 gauge ammo should I be hoarding (I mean storing) for less than ideal situations (aka when SHTF)?

Further, what type 12 gauge ammo should we be storing as well?
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I read in Guns & Ammo that the .380 rounds were only made during a certain part of the year...

What I want to know is why they don't open more factories. I'm sure there's plenty of workers willing to man it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    What I want to know is why they don't open more factories.
    Most industry experts expect the ammo shortage to come to an end as hoarders fill their inventories. Ammo manufacturers cannot justify capital expenses to add capacity (buying new production machinery and building new facilities) to meet a short duration demand peak. So they put their workers on overtime schedules and add work shifts. That approach increases production by about 10-30% but doesn't keep up with today's very high market demand.

I find all of thisvery interesting and this administration scares the hell out of me. The cost of ammo is a real bummer as well, it cost too much to enjoy shooting a couple hundred rounds at one outing, unless its .22. I havnt been shooting as much as I like.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    I saw three stories one right after another in the paper yesterday, the first one was about the waiting list for CWL's in Florida, the second one was by a different reporter about the Ammo shortages in local shops and the Manufacturers trying to keep up. The third one was by yet another reporter referencing the violent crime rates in our area. For some strange reason they seem to be going down, hmmmm I wonder why. I wonder if they teach basic math in reporters school these days.

Armed Citizen + ammo = Less Crime

WEAR ABC 3 :: Top Stories

Statewide Violent Crime rates appear to be down 7 - 10% across the state since January.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links