my first time in public to cc

This is a discussion on my first time in public to cc within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I did my first real test of cc out and about. I dont belive anybody even noticed. I carry a Taurus PT 1911 with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first time in public to cc

Today I did my first real test of cc out and about. I dont belive anybody even noticed. I carry a Taurus PT 1911 with a universal holster that really seems to work for me other than the added weight is still a little acword for me as I am a slim person.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Congrats. It'll get less exciting or less anxious to cc as time goes by. Your CCW will eventually feel as normal as carrying your wallet.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Congrats. It'll get less exciting or less anxious to cc as time goes by. Your CCW will eventually feel as normal as carrying your wallet.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Your CCW will eventually feel as normal as carrying your wallet.
    I hope so. I haven't started CC'ing yet but it feels like a sore thumb when I walk around the house. Yet, when I look in the mirror it's not noticeable at all.

I imagine if you don't think about it, then you won't give it away.

Welcome to the forum! So....CC a PT1911 huh? That's a biggun. My P220 is a bit awkward for me as well, but I make due sometimes CCing in the summer months just a bit with it in an MTac Minotaur holster.

I find that if I am not concerned about my CC then other don't seem to even notice that I am carrying. I just CC properly and go about my business and folks seem blind to the firearm that is sometimes within inches or less from them.

Congrats.

How did you carry that heavy lug, the weather must be a lot cooler there than here.

Congratulations! The more you carry, the more comfortable you will become. You will always be more aware of your weapon than anyone else. You will learn to dress around the gun. Dark colors and patterns are your friends. Loose shirts work wonders. You will learn most people wouldn't notice your weapon if you carried it on your head. Of the 10 people who THINK they see a gun - 8 will assume you're some type of LEO, 1 will be a BG who suddenly decides today isn't the day to rob McDonald's, and one will be another carrier who will smile to himself and think, "I am not alone". If some self-important jerk who thinks his ideas are the law of the land and is trying to impress his girlfriend does make trouble, simply politely deflect his remarks and go about your business. If he calls the store manager or the cops, be calm and polite and answer their questions, reminding them you DO have a permit, and there are no laws against carry where you are and no restricting signs on the entrance to the establishment. If you're carrying where you shouldn't, good luck - you're on your own.

PS
    You're feeling the weight because of that "universal" holster. Get a quality holster made specifically for your weapon. Don't hang it from a $10 Wal-Mart belt. Get a good belt made to take weight. I like the Uncle Mike's Instructor model.

yup don't scimp on your holster and belt and it will reward you with a better carry better concealment and less felt weight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Congrats on your first day of CC! You will find it get easier everyday.

I would echo the suggestion that you should buy one or two holsters designed for your specific gun. As much as a universal holster holds your weapon one designed for your specific gun is better.

A holster that is designed for your specific weapon has better retention system than a universal holster as well. I'm not saying to spend a lot for an expensive holster. Both my primary IWB & OWB holsters each cost around $75.00 with tax. They both have excellent retention systems.

Money spent on a well made holster is money well spent!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Hey I also carry a PT1911. It's a great weapon. It's a little on the heavy side but it's thin and fairly easy to carry with an IWB holster. I use a De Santis leather IWB holster. Paid $80 for it but it was totally worth it. Very comfortable and easy to conceal.

well with all the great replies already posted, i guess i only have one thing to say..
    congrats

I carry the PT1911, also. Mine has the accessory rail, so I had to get a custom holster from Little Bear Holsters. I'm still breaking in the holster, but it makes the gun disappear under just a t-shirt. Ditto on the Uncle Mike's instructor belt, not expensive and it works great.

1911's are the bomb!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Congrats, it feels goos doesn't it.
    Like other have said, a good belt and holster will make carrying easier, and in most cases less noticable to the sheep. Most of them aren't looking anyway
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Welcome!

I've been CC for a few months now and find it is like my wedding ring. When I've got it on, I don't really notice that it's there. But if I DON'T have it on, I feel like something is wrong.

It won't take long for you to get comfortable with it and stop thinking about it all the time. In the meantime, make sure you have a good gun belt such as the ones from the Beltman or CrossBreed. They will help the gun ride easier.

Good luck and good sheepdoggin'
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links