bought my first gun

This is a discussion on bought my first gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, a little about me. I just turned 50 and just got my CC permit. I've been around and handled handguns and rifles on and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bought my first gun

bought my first gun

First, a little about me. I just turned 50 and just got my CC permit. I've been around and handled handguns and rifles on and off all my life so I am not foreign to them. I just have never owned one myself.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got my CC permit. The very next Sat. I made it to our local gun show and bought a Bersa 380 with 3 clips, inside pant holster, 100 rounds of hollow points and 50 target rounds - all for $375.00.

I don't know if I paid a good price or not, I think I did compared to some of the other prices I was looking at while at the show. So what do you think? Feedback welcomed - even if it is, "You were taken."

Regardless, I wanted my gun and was glad to pay the price so to me, it was worth it. However the next gun I will do more homework before taking the plunge. In fact, I'm considering a 9mm sometime after the first of the year. So again, I welcome your feedback on $$ and good vs. bad manufacturers.

So far I have heard that Glock, S&W, Bersa and Ruger are normally good guns. I am also interested to learn more about centerfire and rimfire. I've done enough homework to understand the basic differences between the two but that is all I know.

Be easy on me, I'm a newbie here. I've shot several rifles and handguns in my life but have never owned a gun, so my knowledge level is "beginner." (hey, gotta start somewhere).

I have not chambered a round yet, waiting to get to the range (hopefully Sat.) but I am excited about learning and getting to shot soon.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    What took you so long?

You're OK with the price.

Get someone that is familiar with guns and the rules to go with them to coach you to make sure you are doing things right and to answer any questions you may have...plus its funner to shoot with someone else.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Welcome. You did ok on the price. Bout what the going rate would be around here with the gun, ammo, and holster. As to manufacturers you would be good with Glock, S&W, and Ruger. I own 2 Glocks and a Ruger myself. Had a S&W 642 and it was a great gun, but I wanted the Glock 27 so a trade had to be made. I'll probably end up with another S&W revolver at some point. I can't say much about the Bersa other than a friend has one and he seems to like it a lot. Said no jams or problems and he's fairly hard on his guns. Spends a lot of time in the muck without much cleaning. Congrats on the permit and stay safe.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Welcome to the forum! Way too many opinions......a lot of facts and resources, some humor, and we're all still learning, novices and experts alike. There's no initiation here for beginners, so it ought to be easy for you to stick around. When are you going to give us a review on that Bersa 380 deal you found? The range report? What's finding ammo for it like where you live? Catch you around.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

Price you paid seems fair, especially since it came with 3 magazines (handguns done use clips) and 150 rounds of ammo. The holster is hard to comment on, depending on the make.

BTW was the gun new or used?
    Last edited by archer51; September 23rd, 2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added welcome

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Welcome from far north Austin. Price on the Bersa and accy's sounds about right. Which gun show did you go to, the one at the Crocket center or the new one south of the river? I've been looking for info on where and when that one is. The Crocket show was missing a few of the best vendors last month and I was a little disappointed in the vendor quantity and quality. Did you buy from Jim at Ballistics?
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Welcome to the forum, and the CC. From the Peoples Republic of Illinois.

Doesn't matter what I or anyone thinks. If you think you got a good deal, you did. (You did.)

hey Onei, welcome to the forum.
    Don't forget about Sig and H&K for quality handguns as well. You might consider a .22 to practice with as well. Excellent training tools, when my groups get sloppy I go back to the .22 to set myself strait.

First, I just found where I had posted this (I'm still learning the board), so I posted it again the the "new member" area. Sorry for the double post, but I will try to keep up with both and not make the same mistake again. :-)

HotGuns: I will be going to the range with my son-in-law. He is a police officer. ;-)

Ram Rod & Archer51: I bought the gun used, and looked like it was in great condition. I went with my son-in-law and he was calling his Sargent asking about various guns I was looking at if he didn't know anything about them. I was looking at some new 380's for $275 when I encountered this guy. I was told the magazines (I stand corrected archer51) sold for $40 ea. The holster is a ""High Noon" brand and appears to be left handed as when I place it in the small of my back I can get it with my left hand the best. This too is a plus as I am left handed. ;-)

I'll get the range report as soon as I can.

As far as ammo is concerned, last month I was told that it was hard to come by (the 380's). 9mm are easier to find. I plan to hit the gun show every month for the next several and buy a few boxes to stock up. It comes the 3rd Sat.-Sun. of each month here. I will also look around as I need to get some more, especially if I am going shooting soon. :-D

I also have the Bersa Thunder 380 and love it. No jams or any other problems. For more information regarding the Bersa line look at :: Bersa Talk :: • Index page

Angry Bill: I too am in far N. Austin (Leander). I went to the Crocket Center show. I did not buy from a vendor, rather a private sale. Tell me more about the one South of the river. Where? When?

BaserRonin: I have already considered a .22 or .25 - I've shot the .25 and liked it, especially the small size. Easy to carry when I don't want the carry the .380 - plus it will fit in my pocket if necessary.

Thanks BRachum - I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by onei View Post
    Angry Bill: I too am in far N. Austin (Leander). I went to the Crocket Center show. I did not buy from a vendor, rather a private sale. Tell me more about the one South of the river. Where? When?

BaserRonin: I have already considered a .22 or .25 - I've shot the .25 and liked it, especially the small size. Easy to carry when I don't want the carry the .380 - plus it will fit in my pocket if necessary.
    just remember the .25 ammo is more expensive then 9mm! I carry one on my front pocket as a "bug" but it rarely gets shot.

Hello and welcome. I have yet to CC, but I'm pretty sure it gets easier as time goes on. It's been that way with knives, cell phones and the rest, so I'm sure a firearm will eventually be the same. Just one more tool in my ways to take care of my self.

The prices sound pretty good compared to Michigan. I've heard good things about the Bersa 380. It should be good to you.

Take it out and shoot it as much has you can. That's the best thing you can do. When you feel like you've had enough, shoot your buddie's guns, rent guns at the range. The more you shoot, well, the more fun...

Anyway, welcome! Sounds like you picked a great place to begin.
    Last edited by Mountaineer; September 23rd, 2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links