Taking a class to get your CCW permit?

This is a discussion on Taking a class to get your CCW permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering what peoples take on this is? I live in Indiana and there are no classes required. I personally wouldn't have an issue ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking a class to get your CCW permit?

Taking a class to get your CCW permit?

I am wondering what peoples take on this is? I live in Indiana and there are no classes required. I personally wouldn't have an issue having to go through a class to get my permit. I often times wonder if a decent amount of mandated training would help ease some of the fears of the public. I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous".

I remember a conversation that I had with one where he stated "I've had my permit and glock 26 for 5 years. I've never fired it once. It's just so that I can scare off a attacker if I have to" I thought he meant that he never had to fire it AT a attacker but upon further investigation I found out that he had never once fired the weapon. He had never been to a firing range.

I really do wonder that if the general public knew that everyone with CCW permits had to "qualify" so to speak to be able to carry if we would have less of the fear mongering and general idiots that we do today.

2. Remove Ads

In MI, a class is required. At first, I was a little put off by it, but it's only 1 day, about $100 and there's range time. Plus, the wife is a bit anti-, so having passed a class like that will make it easier for her.

To drive a car, I had to take a class and get a license. More people are killed in car accidents than by guns, so this makes sense.

Now, I can't understand why you wouldn't want a class and range time. Quite a few on this forum pay extra for classes and range time. So, I still don't see a negative.

After the stories I've read here and other places, there are quite a few individuals that I would NOT want carrying anywhere near me, or my loved ones, so again, I think it's a good idea.

Then there's the 2A. So, does a license and required class infringe? Yes, I think it does. But so does that requirement that convicted felons can not own, and just about everyone agrees that's a good idea, so I am willing to accept a bit of infringement, to know that those who carry, have clue, even if it's a small one. I'd rather a written law, rather than an unwritten, but accepted rule, kinda like we have with OC. Yes, it's legal, but almost no one does it because LEO and the general public will hassle you.

Well if you have to use it and you go to court and say it is the frist time I ever shot it -- guess what -- your done.. Anyway you should be required to use it before you carry it..

One of the Illinois Congresswoman has a poll on her website where she is talking about a 40 hour class in order to CCW. Is that right? 40 hours is a long time not to mention will be expensive.

It is an added cost that prevents the poor from getting a CCW. It is often expensive and I don't think many issues are covered in the class. We would not tolerate classes for other rights so this is no different.

For the original poster, do you consider yourself an experienced shooter? Are you familiar with the laws? Did you need a class in order to be?

VIP Member
    I am strongly against Federal, State or any other kind of "mandate" regarding CCW permits training. With that said, I would hope EVERY CCW Permit applicant would have enough responsibility to seek antiquate training before deciding to carry a deadly weapon.

We all know, there will always be someone carrying that hasn't ever even fired the darn gun to see if it even works!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Tx has a class requirement for a license. I don't have a problem with it because the majority of the class is about use of force law and where you can and can't carry. The qualification is easy and only takes up about 1 hour of the 10 hour class.

As for the 2A argument, I pretty much agree with Mountaineer... Unlike places like Alaska and a few other states, the majority of the US is too populated to allow carry without some kind of permitting process. I would be all for a simple process like, pay a $10-20 fee, pass a background check and get your permit issued on the spot.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

How about every year an applicant must take a shooting qualifying test? The test will be held at the Marine snipper training school in a swamp in Florida. If you pass their training you get your permit.

Of course I am being ridiculous but you know what? This is what you could end up with if the government is allowed to dictate how you get to exercise your constitutional rights. Remember the people making the rules are not all gun people. They are the Obama's of the world. While I strongly advocate training and even make an occasional buck at it I do not believe the government should dictate the requirement or what that training is.

For example I know some states dictate that a certain number of hours is required as if when you reach their magic number you suddenly become qualified. Ridiculous if you ask me but some bureaucrat decided this is what is required.

[I]"I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous"."[/I According to the anti-gun folks the mere thought of anyone being able to carry a gun makes them "nervous". To this I say my rights come before your feelings of nervousness.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am wondering what peoples take on this is? I live in Indiana and there are no classes required. I personally wouldn't have an issue having to go through a class to get my permit. I often times wonder if a decent amount of mandated training would help ease some of the fears of the public. I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous".

I remember a conversation that I had with one where he stated "I've had my permit and glock 26 for 5 years. I've never fired it once. It's just so that I can scare off a attacker if I have to" I thought he meant that he never had to fire it AT a attacker but upon further investigation I found out that he had never once fired the weapon. He had never been to a firing range.

I really do wonder that if the general public knew that everyone with CCW permits had to "qualify" so to speak to be able to carry if we would have less of the fear mongering and general idiots that we do today.
    It varies by state. FL requires a basic firearms safety course and doesn't specify having to fire a weapon during the course. Other states require a certain proficiency with a firearm and require you to shoot at a target and have a decent level of accuracy and control of the weapon.

In FL the course is a basic one discussing firearms, the various safety features and differences between revolvers and autos as well as long guns. The class usually encompasses safe handling, storage, child safety, and a basic understanding of the state's CCW laws as it pertains to carrying a firearm concealed (what is considered acceptable for concealment, what is justifiable use of force, where you can and can't have it etc). I can only assume most states would have a similar requirement. Your state may not and has it as an optional thing for an individual to seek training. Whenever I sell a gun or even recommend a gun, the first thing I ask is if they are familiar with or have owned and fired a weapon similar. If not, I encourage them to take a safety course to become familiar with the weapon.

In FL the classes can range between $40 to $80 depending on where you take it. Most have a range shooting requirement where they bring the class to a range and you are required to handle a firearm safely and hit a target. Some courses allow you to qualify with your own gun if you are familiar with it's use. Others use a simple .22lr auto and ask the student to load and fire a shot. I've even seen one class where the instructor purposely loads a dud round into the magazine and requires the student to clear the jam safely. Everyone passes because the proper technique is learned and the student is able to do it themselves once they are shown how.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I liked the Florida class. The most emphasis was on the law and gun safety.
    I was surprised how many women were there with their husbands/boyfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    How about every year an applicant must take a shooting qualifying test? The test will be held at the Marine snipper training school in a swamp in Florida. If you pass their training you get your permit.

Of course I am being ridiculous but you know what? This is what you could end up with if the government is allowed to dictate how you get to exercise your constitutional rights. Remember the people making the rules are not all gun people. They are the Obama's of the world. While I strongly advocate training and even make an occasional buck at it I do not believe the government should dictate what that training is.

[I]"I have spoke to a few CCW holders that have made me "nervous"."[/I According to the anti-gun folks the mere thought of anyone being able to carry a gun makes them "nervous". To this I say my rights come before your feelings of nervousness.
    I belive in the law but I also belive that your right no swing your fist stops where my nose begins. I also think that you are correct, my nervousness shouldnt in any way, shape or form supersede the law but thats not the point. A few of my friends are permit holders. We shoot together on a rgular basis and I would have no issue sending my wife or child along with them someplace because I know they are fairly well practiced. I would have no issue having my wife or child in the same room with them if they needed to discharage there weapon because I know that they have trained with that weapon. If I, as a legal weapon carrying law abiding citizen is made nervous by people that have had NO training, think about the general public. It has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I am strongly against Federal, State or any other kind of "mandate" regarding CCW permits training. With that said, I would hope EVERY CCW Permit applicant would have enough responsibility to seek antiquate training before deciding to carry a deadly weapon.

We all know, there will always be someone carrying that hasn't ever even fired the darn gun to see if it even works!
    I strongly agree...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I liked the Florida class. The most emphasis was on the law and gun safety.
    I was surprised how many women were there with their husbands/boyfriends.
    Yes, that is something I like about Florida's classes (at least the ones that follow the basic NRA guidelines). Safety first, law second. After that it's up to you to use common sense.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I've owned firearms since childhood and always enjoyed them. Missouri required me to take an 8 hour course to be CCW endorsed and it was the most educational, well taught, enjoyable classes I've ever taken. Now without being required to take any more, I'm signed up for an advanced defensive handgun course. I want to learn more and be more proficient. No argument here about the requirement.

There were people in my class who had no idea which end of a firearm the muzzle was and it was nice to know that they at least had a little education behind them when they were planning on carrying.

Class required here in my state. I had good instructors, and a full eight hours. Some only get the minimum. Mandated training, or testing? I haven't gone one way or the other yet on this issue, but our constitution doesn't require it. Ease some public fears about CCers? I doubt anything but anesthesia would calm some of the public fears on just about anything. Does a required class/training/testing ordeal mean those who have undergone it are better off than those who don't? That depends really on a lot of things. Best we can do is uphold our moral character and portray to others that safety and responsibility are things we should all care about. Some of us go beyond all of this in our personal lives, but we have no responsibility to force those same beliefs upon others. Everyone else will do as they may even if they can't hit the broadside of a barn with a tomahawk missile, and I hope they are not so irresponsible as to get someone other than themselves hurt whatever they do. We cannot change the world, and most of the time when we try, we just end up ticking them off. Humanity........ya gotta love it.

The ONLY thing I'd like to see in the classes offered in FL is an explination of the different weapons you may carry besides just a firearm. In FL the license allows you to carry other things like large knifes, blunt weapons of various types and things like that. Not every state allows this. Although most people would carry a gun and call it a day, some people do also like to have a CQC weapon that is non-lethal.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links