A letter to Mr. Duffy San Diego Sheriff Candidate

This is a discussion on A letter to Mr. Duffy San Diego Sheriff Candidate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Jim duffy is a candidate in the 2010 San Diego County elections, I a humble voter sent him this via email today. Mr. Duffy, As ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A letter to Mr. Duffy San Diego Sheriff Candidate

A letter to Mr. Duffy San Diego Sheriff Candidate

Jim duffy is a candidate in the 2010 San Diego County elections, I a humble voter sent him this via email today.

Mr. Duffy,

As a resident of San Diego County and a veteran of military law enforcement I am bothered by the degree of difficulty in obtaining a permit to exercise what I consider to be a constitutionally guaranteed right. I’m sure you are familiar with the constitution so I won’t insult you by repeating any legal arguments.

Under the current Sheriff’s policy, self defense is not good cause for a concealed firearm permit. I ask you, sir, why not? A firearm is a legitimate form of self defense , statistics show that armed resistance to violent crime is the best way to defend oneself. The police simply cannot be everywhere, and I do not fault them for that. As someone with a taste of law enforcement, I have nothing but respect for those who choose to place themselves in harm’s way for the good of the people. But when confronted with a violent situation seconds count, while the police are at best minutes away.

To solve this problem I suggest that “good cause” not be the critical point concerning the issuance of concealed carry permits, but safety. I propose that if a citizen can demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety and marksmanship skill consistent with that of a regular peace officer, that citizen shall be issued a permit to conceal and carry. It must be made clear that most of us who wish to carry for self defense are not law enforcement, and we recognize a permit to carry is not a license to enforce the law.

Taking firearms out of the holsters of those who would seek to legally carry, does not reduce gun crime. Anybody willing to commit armed robbery with a firearm, is not going to stop simply because he does not hold a permit to carry a firearm, it’s just another law for him to break. Restrictive gun control is backwards thinking. This is again proven statistically, 39 states that have adopted a “shall issue” attitude towards concealed carry. In those states gun crime has decreased. However in New York and Washington DC where gun control is most strict, violent crime involving firearms has increased significantly. I know California is a “may issue” state, as sheriff you would be deciding who you “may” issue to. If elected, what will your stance on concealed carry be? Will you allow me to defend myself should I become the victim of a violent criminal?

Respectfully,

Ryan Clark
    Ramona, Ca

I tried to reasonably and respectfully explain my point and offer a solution. What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Laser Sailor; September 24th, 2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added info

2. Remove Ads

I like it
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Be sure to follow up with his reply...should be interesting.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would like to here his reply also.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Great Job. Well written.

Nicely written. I too would enjoy seeing his reply.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Well written. Please follow up with his reply.

You got it, I'll post it up as soon as I get it!

I found out that Jay LaSer another candidate is extremely pro-CCW. To the point he has stated on his website that, if elected, San Diego will become a "shall issue" county . . . he might just get my vote.

Agree with everyone else. Well written, articulate, good points, friendly.

Please let us know what his reply is.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Ditto on what the others said ,but……..you might vote for the other guy, does he have other quality’s that bother you?

My guess is that he won't reply... If this guy is like most of the government types that I have seen he will feel that he is too good to offer a reply. Just a thought. I do hope that I am wrong...

Steve

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm sure like most politicians, he'll tell you what you want to hear to get your vote and then do as he pleases once he's elected.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

very well written, I hope you get a positive response

jay la suer is pro 2nd. amendment and is my choice for sheriff of san diego county.

ed

I personally would go with the guy that thiniks people should be armed and isn't scared to admit it up front,not have to reply with a canned response,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links