Health Tip

This is a discussion on Health Tip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whenever I re-qualify the guys on my job I remind them of this. When I go home after a day on the range, I won't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Tip

Health Tip

Whenever I re-qualify the guys on my job I remind them of this. When I go home after a day on the range, I won't go near my children with the clothes that have been exposed to lead for the 4 hours of shooting. I put them right in the wash and take a shower. Then I feel comfortable hugging my little ones.

By the way, that is a cool shower as hot showers allow the lead to absorb into your skin.

Just thought that I would share that.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

While I will accept the fact that lead can be toxic, I think there is FAR too much government hype over normal daily exposure even from gun ranges. I firmly believe the hype over lead, mercury, arsenic, global warming, endangered species, and an array of other substances, is a lot of junk science in the name of higher taxes and more control over our lives. That being said, I would never condemn you for your after range hygiene. As a matter of fact it sounds like a good plan.
    I also like your avatar. If I were to steal it, I would make one small change to fit my feelings. It would say, "DON'T BLAME ME, I VOTED FOR SARAH PALIN".

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    NY 27. Thanks for the reminder.

My job has the potential for a fair amount of lead exposure. It is always good to take basic measures like washing hands, showering, and washing clothes. Remember exposure is cumulative from day to day, week to week, and month to month.

Lead is particularly problematic for children.

Time to go have some vitamin C

I never thought about it until now. I think some of my loose screws were caused by lead exposure. If I tried tightening them up, they'd probably just strip out, so I'll just go around rattle headed from now on. It may also be a very good reason why I don't have to pay child support as well. Is it lead exposure that makes one sterile, or was it those malaria pills I had to take in the service? Well, I probably get more lead exposure fishing than I do shooting anyway. If it's one thing I had to give up to limit my exposure to lead, maybe I'll just have to quit chewing on drinking straws and smoke more cigarettes.

Always a good plan to limit exposure to any toxic elements, especially when children are concerned. The cumulative effect is problematic so anything you can do to limit what you expose the family to is a good thing.

Many years ago I worked in a tungsten carbide plant, plenty of carcinogens there. Many times I'd have to shower with a green Scotch Bright pad and a bar of lava to get clean. We had a fine washer/dryer set at home but once a week I'd carry my dirty work clothes to the laundry mat and use a triple loader to keep the family's exposure down.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Good advice for those with pets too.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Inhaled lead is far more easily absorbed than ingested and far, far more easily absorbed when inhaled than soaked in through the skin.
    Your counsel is wise: it shows a careful nature: but my greater concern is for clean air to breathe.
    Voice of experience here.
    My wife started having health issues due to high metals content.
    She grew up in an area with an aluminum smelting plant and a coal fired power plant in the river valley.
    Coal puts multiple metals into the air including mercury; aluminum smelting puts aluminum and nickel into the air; the area has an unusually high rate of brain cancers.
    Shower, yes, that's fine, but make sure you've got a good air exchange.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Lead

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Whenever I re-qualify the guys on my job I remind them of this. When I go home after a day on the range, I won't go near my children with the clothes that have been exposed to lead for the 4 hours of shooting. I put them right in the wash and take a shower. Then I feel comfortable hugging my little ones.

By the way, that is a cool shower as hot showers allow the lead to absorb into your skin.

Thanks for the reminder. We have about 25 kids in our 4-H Shooting Sports program. We are fortunate that we get to shoot a lot all year around. I have access to the local FOP lodge and range. One of the things I always insist upon is that the kids bring no water or food into range area, and that they wash their hands prior to leaving or eating or drinking. Wash with cold water, rinse with cold water, then warm water, but never hot water.

As for the "hype", lead buildup is cumulative. Nothing over night. There may be some controversy on just how much, but considering the fact that we are shooting pellet rifles and pistols more than rim and center fire, and the kids are handling magazines and lead pellets, I feel responsible to at least minimize the possibilities of long-term problems.

What you have done with your post is a "public service" announcement for those of us who not only shoot, but who also work with youth and adult shooting sports programs. Thanks very much.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I never even thought about that. I know I prefer the out door ranges because of the fresh air vs ventilated, not to mention the smoke, but I never gave much of a thought about the residue on my clothing. Thanks for the tip.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Upon a few hours of shooting at the range...
    Hands are washed at the range, clothes dumped into the washer, and a quick shower...then it's to cleaning guns...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post

+1 We do the same
    I must say i did not know about the hot shower though
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    When it comes to your children, you can never be too careful with their health. If changing clothes, doing separate laundry, and a nice shower is going to make the tiniest impact on their health, then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    +1 We do the same
    I must say i did not know about the hot shower though
    Steam opens your skin's pores, causing more things to get in them. I used to work in ceilings and had a lot of exposure to fiber glass insulation... same thing applied.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Good tip, thanks for posting.

+1 on preferring outdoor ranges. That's also why I prefer copper jacketed or plated bullets too.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Great tip. Thanks
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator

"By the way, that is a cool shower as hot showers allow the lead to absorb into your skin."

Above statement NOT factually correct.

You can take a nice steamy hot shower.

Inorganic Metallic Lead particulate is not absorbed through the skin.

Organic Lead compounds such as tetraethyl Lead can be absorbed through the skin but, that is not a factor with inorganic particulate Lead metal shooting residue.

Just FYI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links