The draw from alternative carry methods

This is a discussion on The draw from alternative carry methods within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any helpful hints for improving the draw from a Smart Carry? What about from a bellyband? I feel fumbly and awkward from these things. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The draw from alternative carry methods

The draw from alternative carry methods

Any helpful hints for improving the draw from a Smart Carry?

What about from a bellyband?

I feel fumbly and awkward from these things.

I know it will never be as good/easy as a holster, but surely there are improvements to be had.

Any helpful hints or tips?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I have one for my .38 snubbie and I find that it was hard to draw from if the grip was below my waistband. Once I learned to wear it a little higher and with an untucked cover shirt it was much easier.
    I use the holster when I carry the snubbie as a back up or at home if I change to sweats. At home in sweats I let the holster ride outside of the pants if my t-shirt is long enough to cover it. The appendix position seems to work the best for me, it allows me to sit without getting poked and puts the grip in an easy reach.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Do you index to anything if you draw from these things? Or you just pull it out as best as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Any helpful hints for improving the draw from a Smart Carry?

What about from a bellyband?
    I prefer the belly band for my deep concealment needs. I asked my wife to sew a leather backer on mine where my pistol rides when it's holstered and it makes it way more comfortable and adds a sweat barrier.

As for the quick draw, not gonna happen. For me. it's a trade off to have my pistol on me vs not.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    You may want to look at the Cell Pal.
    That may work out for you better than a Smart Carry since I guess you have a reason to carry that deep.
    Here is a demo VID for you.
    Dailymotion - Cell Pal The Ultimate Concealed Weapon Holster - a College video

thunderware suggestions-
    1) practice with weapon EMPTY
    2) practice from various positions (standing, sitting, etc)
    3) practice in the clothes you wear regularly
    4) consider more carefully the thought process required and perhaps up your awareness status a notch so that a quick draw is secondary to considerations like spotting situation prior to need to draw, seeking cover, avoidance etc.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

In the OP, the reference to an alternative carry method...

SOB carry might also be included...my IWB/SOB is a palm out draw from the right kidney area (not over the spine). Awkward for some, but relatively an easy draw if you practice. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In the OP, the reference to an alternative carry method...

SOB carry might also be included...my IWB/SOB is a palm out draw from the right kidney area (not over the spine). Awkward for some, but relatively an easy draw if you practice. OMO
    How's from the right kidney area (not over the spine) SOB?

Funning aside, that's a suggestion I need to try.

I had "Never SOB" (meaning over the spine) because of the high injury potential drummed into my head so long I never considered a 4 or 5 o'clock carry w/ a IWB/SOB.

Got to love this forum. Always something to learn here.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

WOW..."Cell-Pal"....a definate rip off of the Pager-Pal holster.

I've been wearing the Pager-Pal for about 5 years now. The man in the video is right...the most concealed and most comfortable carry I have been able to find. It just irks me that he is feeding off of another's original idea. But then, that's capitalism at work. Maybe he bought the rights to it.

Check out the pricing for the both of them....they're identicle in appearance.
    Last edited by Zsnake; September 25th, 2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

The problem isn't a need for ultra deep concealment so much as giving me more variety of clothing options.

Belly band, in particular, works for a lot of my clothes, but I worry about the slow draw.

Smart Carry is mostly around the house, doing chores, etc, and it's because it's comfy. (If I wear it with regular clothes, I tend to look like I'm packing something other than a gun, lol!)

I just need options.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    WOW..."Cell-Pal"....a definate rip off of the Pager-Pal holster.

I've been wearing the Pager-Pal for about 5 years now. The man in the video is right...the most concealed and most comfortable carry I have been able to find. It just irks me that he is feeding off of another's original idea. But then, that's capitalism at work. Maybe he bought the rights to it.

Check out the pricing for the both of them....they're identicle in appearance.
    Actually if I'm not mistaken it is made by the same company. Since pagers have pretty much gone out of style they adapted it for cell phones and renamed it.

pax
    Phoebe,

Where on your body are you positioning the belly band?

I've found that I can wear mine so it puts the gun in the exact same spot where I typically wear my belt holster (appendix carry for me). In that case, the draw is exactly the same as the draw from the belt holster.

On the other hand, I can also position it high on my abdomen, just underneath my bosom. In that case, my draw either involves pulling my shirt up above my bosom as I draw, or reaching down through a low cut neckline. Either is slower than the draw from beltline, but neither is onerous once you've learned the trick.

Hmmmm. I feel a photo series coming on...

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Pax,

The most clothing options are gained by my wearing the bellyband high on my waist and tucking the gun so that the grip is under my breasts. (middle)

So to get it out, requires either going down my shirt or raising my shirt.

I assume if the clothing could let me get away with it at appendix position, I could just use an IWB. Does the bellyband buy you anything in that position?

The only other position I've tried is still up high, but off center (2 oclock, but again, under a breast.)

So I just tried it on my hip at 2. Prints with what I'm wearing, but that does give me some new options. Thanks for the hot tip! Not sure why I didn't think of it.

Would you ever wear a bellyband at the hip at 4?

My current IWB holster is a worthless piece o junk, so I ordered a few options from High Noon. (They haave a great return policy.)

So, I haven't played with IWB that much yet in terms of how it impacts clothing choices.

Thank goodness winter is coming.

ETA: I tried to take some photos, but I think I need some help from another person.

pax
    I assume if the clothing could let me get away with it at appendix position, I could just use an IWB. Does the bellyband buy you anything in that position?
    Yes, it buys me the ability to wear dress pants that have too-thin (or utterly nonexistent) belt loops, or to wear skirts with elastic waist bands, with the gun positioned exactly where I am most accustomed to wearing it. Given the casual way I live, it's not a necessary deal very often, but my life would be a lot more difficult if I didn't have that option available to me when I needed to be more formal.

Would you ever wear a bellyband at the hip at 4?
    I know at least one woman who does so, or who did do so a couple of years ago anyway. (Not sure how she's carrying these days.) No reason not to try it!

For me it wouldn't work. I'm such a classic hourglass that anything on or behind the hip is terribly uncomforable and poorly concealed. But that's a personal-shape issue, not a drawback to the method itself.

Good luck with the search for an IWB that works for you. Personally I found that if I did not have a tuckable IWB, my clothing choices would be a whole lot more limited indeed. With the tuckable, I've just got a whole lot more options and that's good. One nice thing about the tuckable is that you don't have to tuck when you wear it, but the option is there if you need it.

For men, finding one method and sticking with it seems the way to go. But for women, our clothing choices are a lot more varied, so I think we also need to be a little more flexible in our carry methods -- even though consistency is important too. For me, I found one primary technique (tuckable appendix IWB), two on-body alternates (belly band or ankle holster), and two off-body alternates (purse or fanny pack). I use the primary IWB method probably 90% of the time and it works well. But without the alternates, the other 10% of the time would be very very awkward or outright impossible.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links