Pocket Holster Retention -Rookie Concerns

This is a discussion on Pocket Holster Retention -Rookie Concerns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be applying for my CCW permit in oct, and have decided on a j-frame or similar and my first choice would be to ...

I will be applying for my CCW permit in oct, and have decided on a j-frame or similar and my first choice would be to pocket carry. In my searches on holster recommendations, i have read a few "slipped out of pocket" comments and it gave me some concern. I have 2year old twins and am meticulous about safety about all of my other firearms, probably to the point of paranoia to some, but i doubt it. I have never cc before. I simply cannot have/fear that moment, 100% control, 100% of the time as we all strive for. I have a large frame and am sure a j-frame will disappear with most holsters. My concern is on pocket holster retention. Mika's and UM's being a little easier, and Kramer or PCS looking like they may hold a little firmer. I have thought of adding a backstrap to a pocket holster, but i'm assuming that's a bad idea for draw. I have also thought of adding a descrete snap to my carry pocket. It would at least keep my pocket closed at my discretion. Are these concerns unfounded. May be a non-issue? Any other pocket carriers have this concern, or experience. Any advice would be great. I am new to the forum and tried to search the topic, but couldn't find it, so please excuse me if it has been covered. Thanks all

I have these for several weapon in both kydex and leather...
    Pocket Holster...(with the thumb push)

It will never come out of the pocket with the gun...
    Several on this forum have discovered the best kept secret of pocket holsters, and the rest...are sleeping.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanruck View Post
    I will be applying for my CCW permit in oct, and have decided on a j-frame or similar and my first choice would be to pocket carry. In my searches on holster recommendations, i have read a few "slipped out of pocket" comments and it gave me some concern. I have 2year old twins and am meticulous about safety about all of my other firearms, probably to the point of paranoia to some, but i doubt it. I have never cc before. I simply cannot have/fear that moment, 100% control, 100% of the time as we all strive for. I have a large frame and am sure a j-frame will disappear with most holsters. My concern is on pocket holster retention. Mika's and UM's being a little easier, and Kramer or PCS looking like they may hold a little firmer. I have thought of adding a backstrap to a pocket holster, but i'm assuming that's a bad idea for draw. I have also thought of adding a descrete snap to my carry pocket. It would at least keep my pocket closed at my discretion. Are these concerns unfounded. May be a non-issue? Any other pocket carriers have this concern, or experience. Any advice would be great. I am new to the forum and tried to search the topic, but couldn't find it, so please excuse me if it has been covered. Thanks all
    Hello PelicanRuck,
    Desantis makes a pocket holster that has a material that is tacky(not gaudy). I use the Superfly I don't know if they have one for your gun but I love mine. I use it with my P3AT and when I take the holstered gun out of my pocket at night sometimes my pocket turns inside out because of the stickiness.
    Good Luck and I hope you will never need it.
    XsYang

I have a "Reno" from Graham Custom Leather, used to be Pale Horse that has a finger push button that keeps the holster in I really like the way mine is set up.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It will never come out of the pocket with the gun...
    I do like the fist, it looked like it would hold the gun (the retention im looking for) and the thumb tab would leave the holster in pocket for sure.

My concern was mostly that neither the gun, nore gun in holster could slip out of my pocket unintentionalyl. I'm not as concerned with separation on draw. I think i can learn the draw with whatever pros cons the holster brings.

Does anyone have a pic of a Fist #5 on a J-frame. I didn't realize they made one.

An old trick you can use is to put a wide rubber band around the holster to help it stay in your pocket.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanruck View Post
    Does anyone have a pic of a Fist #5 on a J-frame. I didn't realize they made one.
    Click on the link retsupt99 has. You'll see a pic.
    Last edited by varob; September 25th, 2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: .
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

cmb
    I made my own out of scrap leather from the craft store 3$ and some fishing line called spiderwire (thread like) I too push the holster with my middle finger and I have no problems.

Somethings you may run into... some pants pockets are narrow or shallow and need to be separated and fabric sewn in to make them a little bigger. Also some pockets are huge and the gun like to tilt over... simpler fix by some vertical stitching in the right spot.

I’ve carried a Kel-Tec 380 or a Glock 26 9mm in a nemesis pocket holster everyday for the past two years, and never had a problem.

Even to amusement parks it has never came out.

My pockets in my levis are too tight to carry anything but keys and change in If I put a gun in my pants my date calender would be filled for the next 10 years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Check out the Pocket Packer Premium by Wild Bill's - Pocket Packer

It's a substantial holster and it won't come out of the pocket until YOU decide it's coming out. Spend the extra $20 for the square, flat flap to break up the outline. You won't always use it, but it's handy to have. Some pants material and colors are more revealing than others, and that removable flap makes your pocket holster look like a wallet. At $50 with the flap, it's a deal.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links