Defensive Carry banner

Got my permit today

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  DropTop 
#1 ·
i got home today and checked the mail. my kids usually do this when they get home from school but tonight they are spending the night elsewhere and are going there right after school so i got to check it. as i was going through the mail there was a letter from utah. at first i thought it was a denial letter because it has only been 2 months. i didn't even open the letter, i started to bend the letter to see if there was a card in it and there was so opened it as quickly as i could and there was my face looking back at me. i was very excited. i was just going to sit at home tonight and enjoy the quiet with the wife and kids gone but now i'm thinking i may go out.

mailed the paper work off on july 20th and received my permit on september 25th. just a little over the 60 days our instructor told us. it was actually issued on the 16th, but took this long to get here.

#11 ·

#12 ·
Okay... I'm still new to this. I stand by for my razzing with stoic resolve...

What is the significance/usefulness of an out-of-state license?

And what, pray-tell, is the "wally-walk"?

DropTop, help out the new guy, would ya?

(Oh, and I gather that congratulations are in order, so... WAY TO GO!) :smilie:

#14 ·
there are many reason to have an out of state permit. the biggest is if you get the right ones it adds to the total number of states you can carry in. texas honors some out of state permits even if you're a texas resident and don't have a texas permit. there were many reasons why i went with the utah permit before the texas permit. the main ones were the time it takes to get and the cost. it took 2 months to get the utah permit as opposed to the 5-6+ months texas is taking. the cost is only $165 dollars compared to $300 for texas. i do plan on taking the texas class shortly but this was the best route for me at the time.

as for the wally walk. wal mart usually has the most amount of people shopping in them compared to the other stores so you walk around the store for a while to see if anyone notices you carrying. after a while of doing this and no one notices you begin to feel more secure in carrying your gun. there is a bingo card of all the things to do and see while doing your wally walk but i can't seem to find it on here at this time so i'll fill out the card on other visit.

i got my permit yesterday but had the house all to myself so i stayed home and enjoyed the quiet for a change but i plan on getting out today and seeing how i do.

thanks to all of ya. this forum has a lot of great info on it. and evilmonk welcome to the forum, you will learn a lot and don't be afraid to ask questions.

#13 ·
Answers

Almost all state (CA and HI notably excluded, if memory serves me) recognize some out of state permits. For example, AZ recognizes a permit from any state.Texas apparently recognizes out of state permits even for Texas residents. (AZ does not). So having the permit now allows the OP to concealed carry.

A "Wally Walk" is a first concealed carry through your local WalMart. I am not certain if a target or other store suffices in the absence of a Walmart.

Hopefully I have this all correct

#17 ·
Happy Birthday, uhm, err, Happy New Year's, wait that's not right either...
CONGRATS!!!:yup:

#20 ·
I figured I wouldn't start another thread, but I got my permit today!

Only took 12 days!

Looking forward to carrying tomorrow. Oh wait, gotta go to mass and I can't carry in a place of worship. But I'll definitely hit up the Red Lobster to celebrate...oh wait...:tongue:

It still feels good to finally be able to do it most places!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.