How is Gatlinburg, Tennessee for CCW??

This is a discussion on How is Gatlinburg, Tennessee for CCW?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have rented a cabin in the mountains above Gatlinburg, Tennessee for when I come home for my vacation. In reading the TN law on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Gatlinburg, Tennessee for CCW??

I have rented a cabin in the mountains above Gatlinburg, Tennessee for when I come home for my vacation. In reading the TN law on handgunlaw.us it seems the prohibited places and posting laws are rather draconian and wide ranging.

My question for anyone familiar with Gatlinburg area, how CCW friendly is the area? Does the city/county prohibit CCW to the maximum extent of the law? The wife wants to hit the craft/gallery loop in town, do the majority of merchants post their shops and how are the restaurants in the area?

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.

TN CCW laws

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I have rented a cabin in the mountains above Gatlinburg, Tennessee for when I come home for my vacation. In reading the TN law on handgunlaw.us it seems the prohibited places and posting laws are rather draconian and wide ranging.

My question for anyone familiar with Gatlinburg area, how CCW friendly is the area? Does the city/county prohibit CCW to the maximum extent of the law? The wife wants to hit the craft/gallery loop in town, do the majority of merchants post their shops and how are the restaurants in the area?

Any information anyone has would be appreciated.
    The laws here in TN are very liberal. This is an OC and CC state. You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as you are not consuming.

Cannot carry in the GSMNP until Jan of next year. Of course federal buildings, courtrooms, and schools are a no-no.

Any business (including restaurants) can post to prevent carry on their porperty. However, the "legal" posting is rather specific and most places that are attempting to post are not legally posted. The gun in a circle with a slash is not a legal posting.

If caught within one of these improperly posted places or mgt discovers you are carrying, you can/will be asked to leave but have no legal ramifications.

If stopped by and LEO you are not required to announce but I would recommend doing so.

It is a beautiful place but be ready for lots of traffic. Have fun!

PURSUANT TO 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

This is what has to be posted not in those exact words but pretty dang close according to our A.G. In Gatlinburg you are in good shape almost everywhere.

The whole Sevier County area is pretty liberal, but all are pro-active law enforcement that looks for problems and prevent them. If you are open carrying without a law enforcement badge next to the sidearm, they will stop you and ask, usually "after" disarming you for their own safety. CCW=no problems. Pigeon Forge (the city you travel through to get to Gat) is also very proactive in crime prevention. This is due to problems over the years-like few bad guys trying to kill them and getting terminated. Yep-they all wear body armor & practice often. They don't take any chances and will verify you if seen OC.

Also note: between Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg there is a strip of roadway that's 35mph and about 5 miles long. It's locally referred to as "The Spur" and sometimes a few dumb-ass kids race down the thing at night (and usually wipe out or get thrown in jail). This section is actually GSMNP (park) and firearms carry is prohibited. If you travel through, guns need to be unloaded and locked in the trunk (as per travel regulations & out of reach). The park service officers are very nice, but really don't like firearms unless it's the ones "they" are carrying.

Weekends (Fri/Sat) expect heavy traffic, especially entering PF/Gat & Sevierville areas coming in. Sundays, everyone's leaving out at the same time....sometimes it gridlocks. There is roadway work going on in Sevierville by TDOT that might slow you for 5 minutes, but nothing bad.

Occassionally at major attractions like Walmart, Dollywood, Real Theatres, etc. there have been car break-ins by theives-by busting out the glass to get at items visible in the vehicle. Suggest lock everything up in the trunk or cover it up with something. Food/clothes shopping is usually better prices in Sevierville because PF/Gatlinburg have Hotel/Motel/Restraunt taxes that cause prices to go up. Gatlinburg's best eateries: Best Itallian, Howard's, Parton's Deli & Greenbriar Restraunt. Pigeon Forge: McCalister's Deli, Burger King (upper end) Shoney's & Brewery.
    Sevierville: has best prices/restraunts. Shoney's is my favorite because super cleaned, excellent food and reasonable buffets. Applebees, Olive Garden, and China 1, the best Chinese food around. (we have almost all other chains too).

Bring lots of film/memory cards-the scenery is awesome and one of the main reason Northerners move here to retire. We have horseback riding, river rafting, trout/lake fishing, go-karts, monster trucks, arcades, hiking that's unbelievable (always ask for local guides for tips/precautions & let others know where you will be going in case you get lost-Smoky Mnts are known for tourists getting lost/hypothermic and being rescued), zip lines, Orb rolling, walking trails, local eateries/entertainment venues & some neat historical landmarks. Gatlinburg Arts & Crafts Community is great to explore. The natives are friendly, y'all come back soon!

Dang Gunsmoke sounds like you work for Mr. Atchley

Great ad for our part of the country!!

I always CC there when we go and have never had any problems. We love to go every chance we get.

Tennessee is an OC state primarily to prevent problems if you are "printing" or inadvertently flashing when raising your coat or sweater. OCing in a predominantly tourist area will cause you some delays with LEOs asking to see HCP and clearing you. there are no legal ramifications but it just isn't worth the hassle (unless pushing OC rights is your primary venue for coming here!) If you Conceal Carry and are prudent about it, you can pretty much go "heeled" all the time without any problems, just don't drink while carrying. I visit Gatlinburg a lot with grandson and always CCW.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Dollywood

Went to G/Burg in June, and visited Dollywood....didn't see any NO WEAPONS signs and there were no security checks.

Nice but kinda worrying too as we entered with a 6 month old and a large unchecked rucksack...mmmmmmm

Oh and if you enjoy a glass of anything other than beer....take your own!!!!!

what we pay $10.99 for here was $18.99 there in the liquor store in G/Burg :-(

Quote Originally Posted by paul1968mcr View Post
    Went to G/Burg in June, and visited Dollywood....didn't see any NO WEAPONS signs and there were no security checks.

Nice but kinda worrying too as we entered with a 6 month old and a large unchecked rucksack...mmmmmmm
    Everytime we have been to DollyWood we have been searched - every single time. All bags, etc. And the will wand some of the guys.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My family has been 4 time since last Thanksgiving and have never been searched or wanded on entering. Dollywood has a prohibition against firearms in its literature. I don't know how legal that is ecxcept that they can ask you to leave if discovered. I did not see anyhting in handgunlaws.us that would make Dollywood exempt from posting signs.

I am also going to GBurg very soon. I am glad to see that somebody has already asked the questions that I have been wondering about. I plan to CC.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I am looking forward to my vacation and it sounds like G'burg is CCW friendly which is an additional attraction.

It is just the wife and me so I doubt there will be a visit to Dollywood. The cabin is secluded, has a hot tub on the deck and a wood burning fireplace, and after 7 months apart, that is where we intend to spend much of our "amusment" time.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1968mcr View Post
    Oh and if you enjoy a glass of anything other than beer....take your own!!!!!

What we pay $10.99 for here was $18.99 there in the liquor store in G/Burg :-(
    Thanks for the heads up, after 7 DRY months I will be invibing so I will make sure to take my own with me. It kinda sucks having a ready supply of Cuban cigars and not having a good bourbon to go with it.

I was in the Smokeys for a week the first part of August. There were a couple of places with signs that did not allow firearms but for the most part I carried everywhere I went without any problems.
    CZ82
    Ruger LCP
    Glock 27 Gen4
    Ruger SR22

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Thanks for the replys everyone, I am looking forward to my vacation and it sounds like G'burg is CCW friendly which is an additional attraction.

It is just the wife and me so I doubt there will be a visit to Dollywood. The cabin is secluded, has a hot tub on the deck and a wood burning fireplace, and after 7 months apart, that is where we intend to spend much of our "amusment" time.

Thanks for the heads up, after 7 DRY months I will be invibing so I will make sure to take my own with me. It kinda sucks having a ready supply of Cuban cigars and not having a good bourbon to go with it.
    have a great time, beautiful place, fantastic people - you'll love it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links