Giving gun as gift in FL

Giving gun as gift in FL

This is a discussion on Giving gun as gift in FL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everyone, I want to purchase a handgun for my girlfriend. We are both Florida residents. Is there anything I need to know (legally) before ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving gun as gift in FL

Giving gun as gift in FL

Hi Everyone,

I want to purchase a handgun for my girlfriend. We are both Florida residents. Is there anything I need to know (legally) before doing this? Will the gun have to be transferred to her name after I give it to her?

Thanks in advance,

Big Country

Just say "Here"! No paperwork or anything.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XsYang View Post
    Just say "Here"! No paperwork or anything.
    That about sums it up. Florida doesn't have the red tape that some other states have. May I suggest a companion gift as well? A certificate for an NRA firearms class or an NRA membership would go well, regardless of her experience level. Just a thought.............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Does she want a gun? Did she pick out a certain make/model?
    You might want to plan ahead!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Please forgive my ignorance as well. Are there any federal straw purchase issues at play here?

...?

Nice gift! Lucky lady!

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Let her pick out her own gun, give her a gift certificate for a gun shop. Then you have no worries, she gets what she wants and all is happy, that assumes that she is 21 or over and passes the NICS
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually.......You are probably in violation of the law. The is nothing illegal about giving a gun as a gift, but you do have to answer several questions in writing, one pertains to whether you're purchasing the gun for someone else. If you answer "yes", the dealer will not complete the sale.
    The one way around this, is to buy the gun and then "loan" it to her, providing there's no local laws prohibiting this.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I want to purchase a handgun for my girlfriend. We are both Florida residents. Is there anything I need to know (legally) before doing this? Will the gun have to be transferred to her name after I give it to her?

Thanks in advance,

Big Country
    The big question here is "could she buy the gun herself?" Meaning, is she 21 or over and otherwise eligible to purchase the gun. Is she a Florida resident?

Buying a gun as a gift is perfectly legitimate. However, if the person receiving the gift could not buy the gun themselves, you're entering the realm of a straw purchase, which is a very serious federal crime.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

As long as she's not a prohibited possessor, you're good to go. Private transactions happen this way all the time. Different story in other places like Illinois, etc.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance as well. Are there any federal straw purchase issues at play here?
    No, you are not ignorant. The form that you fill out asks if you are buying the firearm for someone else. Now that you have confessed your intentions in advance on a public forum, perhaps you should get a get a gift certificate for a certain firearm -- or pay in advance for the firearm, and tell her to go to the store to do the paperwork.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Buy the gun and leave it at the store. Have her come down and fill out the paper work. That way there's only one set of paperwork.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Actually.......You are probably in violation of the law. The is nothing illegal about giving a gun as a gift, but you do have to answer several questions in writing, one pertains to whether you're purchasing the gun for someone else. If you answer "yes", the dealer will not complete the sale.
    The one way around this, is to buy the gun and then "loan" it to her, providing there's no local laws prohibiting this.
    The form asks if you are the actual buyer. It goes on to explain that if you are spending your own money to buy a gun as a gift for someone, you would answer yes, and it would be legal.

If someone gave you money to buy a gun for them, you are not the actual buyer, and would have to answer no, and the sale can not be completed.

If in doubt, the safest thing would be to ask if you can see the paperwork and read it yourself, or get her a gift certificate or give her the money to buy the gun herself.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Do be absolutely sure the gun you buy for her is the gun she likes.
    If not you might end up with another gun, and we all know what a shame that would be
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Are you sure you want to set such a dangerous precedent, spoiling her like this? It's important that she likes the gun and enjoys shooting and hopefully carrying it. If she's experienced, maybe even a better shot than you, it won't matter. But if she's new to shooting, perhaps plinking with a 22, taking a basic pistol class, or going through the training to get her carry permit will ease her into more potent calibers. Some say any gun will do, but it's nice if she can try one out before buying it. I only suggest, as I don't know specifics of your situation. At least if she has her own carry permit, she can do the paperwork to get her gun without a hitch. That will give her a real sense of ownership.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links