Unarmed for a night out

Unarmed for a night out

This is a discussion on Unarmed for a night out within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother and I went out for a few drinks on Saturday night and I had promised my wife I would not carry because I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed for a night out

Unarmed for a night out

My brother and I went out for a few drinks on Saturday night and I had promised my wife I would not carry because I was going to be, "Drinking until I got my brother tanked."

When we were leaving the house, I commented to my brother how I didn't like going out without a gun. He just looked at me and asked why I needed to carry a gun. He said, "I don't have one, and I've never had a problem. I mind my own business and don't worry about it."

What? I said I've never had a problem either, but that doesn't mean I never will. I continued stating that BGs don't care if you are minding your own business or if you are not worrying about it... actually they PREFER you are not worrying about it so you are an easier target.

Well, I figured I would talk to him more about it as we were drinking, but the conversation never really got there once we started observing the female entertainers that kept having "wardrobe malfunctions"

He confuses the heck out of me because he is otherwise the classic conservative, anti-Obama type and he supports gun ownership, etc. I need to get him straightened out.
    Member - NRA, IDPA

Don't ask a question you don't know the answer to

He sounds just like my wife. The "not me" mentality. Like the victims of murder, rape, robbery, etc. "knew" their time was up.

Next time, smack him in the head and tell him not to worry about it.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Sometime I ignore those comments - sometimes I ask "Do you have a fire extinguisher and/or smoke detector at home?" - Usual answer is yes; then - Sarcastically I say "Whoa, are you PARANOID about fires? I've never had a fire at home before; I don't really see a NEED for a fire extinguisher or smoke alarm; I can ALWAYS call the Fire Department if I have a problem with a FIRE so why should I worry about having a Fire extinguisher?" "Oh, Wait, If a fire, although not likely - did happen - you think it might help to be able to take IMMEDIATE action and NOT have to WAIT till the firemen arrive?? - That those few min's may make a DIFFERENCE if I don't do something MYSELF?"
    After this I add; Hummmm, maybe the same is true about my being "armed" - for the unlikely chance something "might" happen requiring a Policeman - but having NONE present and having to call and wait for one - might make a difference MY being armed would help in the mean time..??....
    Last edited by ArmyCop; September 28th, 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added for content
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight412 View Post
    He just looked at me and asked why I needed to carry a gun.
    This reactions seems to be fairly common. My response is: why do you think you don't need to carry a gun?

Are any of your other constitutional rights optional? Why should the 2nd amendment be optional?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    My brother and I went out for a few drinks on Saturday night and I had promised my wife I would not carry because I was going to be, "Drinking until I got my brother tanked."

When we were leaving the house, I commented to my brother how I didn't like going out without a gun. He just looked at me and asked why I needed to carry a gun. He said, "I don't have one, and I've never had a problem. I mind my own business and don't worry about it."

What? I said I've never had a problem either, but that doesn't mean I never will. I continued stating that BGs don't care if you are minding your own business or if you are not worrying about it... actually they PREFER you are not worrying about it so you are an easier target.

Well, I figured I would talk to him more about it as we were drinking, but the conversation never really got there once we started observing the female entertainers that kept having "wardrobe malfunctions"

He confuses the heck out of me because he is otherwise the classic conservative, anti-Obama type and he supports gun ownership, etc. I need to get him straightened out.
    Maybe you could try doing some of your convincing at the local shooting range? Another way of having a good time with your brother and you get to carry at the same time
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well, I figured I would talk to him more about it as we were drinking, but the conversation never really got there once we started observing the female entertainers that kept having "wardrobe malfunctions" .
    Love the wardrobe malfunctions line

I got into a bit of a disagreement with my mother a few weeks ago about carrying.
    After it got well past the point it should have she asks me 'so what has happened since you got your license'.
    'what' ?
    'what has happened since you got your license' ?
    'uh...nothing' ?
    'see...nothing happened'.

So I guess since Ive not been shot at, robbed or stabbed since Ive been carrying these last few months that carrying concealed is pointless.
    Ridiculous logic coming from a woman who has been physically assaulted and robbed in the past.
    Sometimes you just have to let them believe what they want to believe and hope that when the bad guys come its to you instead of them.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    He just looked at me and asked why I needed to carry a gun.
    I would just sit him down in front of the local 9 o'clock news. (Assuming you live near a larger city like I do.)

+1 to the OP for realizing guns and alcohol don't mix. If I'm carrying, which is about 99.9% of the time, I won't have more than two drinks (always with food), just like if I'm driving.

Even if you mind your own business, the BGs will sometimes mind it for you. I feel no compulsion to defend those who will not defend themselves.

This approach doesn't work on MANY people, myself included!

We need to promote 2nd Amendment rights and gun ownership on basic principles, instead of on politics. otherwise, me being the classic liberal, pro-Obama type, I might decide that gun ownership isn't for me, and stop supporting the cause!

Fortunately, that's not going to happen. Being from the proverbial hood, I know all too well that for one, I don't wanna go back there, and two, it's up to me to protect myself most of the time!!

Note - not intended to be a political rant. Just a suggestion . . .

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Sometime I ignore those comments - sometimes I ask "Do you have a fire extinguisher and/or smoke detector at home?" - Usual answer is yes; then - Sarcastically I say "Whoa, are you PARANOID about fires? I've never had a fire at home before; I don't really see a NEED for a fire extinguisher or smoke alarm; I can ALWAYS call the Fire Department if I have a problem with a FIRE so why should I worry about having a Fire extinguisher?" "Oh, Wait, If a fire, although not likely - did happen - you think it might help to be able to take IMMEDIATE action and NOT have to WAIT till the firemen arrive?? - That those few min's may make a DIFFERENCE if I don't do something MYSELF?"
    After this I add; Hummmm, maybe the same is true about my being "armed" - for the unlikely chance something "might" happen requiring a Policeman - but having NONE present and having to call and wait for one - might make a difference MY being armed would help in the mean time..??....
    This has become my standard line of conversation when this comes up.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

+1, Good response. Let's just prey your brother never has to play that scenario out in real life.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

That has always struck me as being odd, when two people grow up in the same house, raised in the same manner and have completly different views on these issues.

Well being that he's your brother, guess you can atleast give it a shot and try to straighten him out. Good luck with that

:/ When reading this I have had flashbacks to the same conversations I've had with people in my own family.

I just don't get the reasoning. So they've never had a problem before... so what? That doesn't mean they'll continue to never have a problem... all it takes is ONCE. Are you going to wait until that one time happens? By that time, it's too late.

I told someone once that I'll take the gun, she can keep the crystal ball, plsthx.

Quote Originally Posted by av8er View Post
    This approach doesn't work on MANY people, myself included!
    Wouldn't work on me, either. Nobody can jam their opinion up my [ahem] nose, and expect it to stick.

We need to promote 2nd Amendment rights and gun ownership on basic principles, instead of on politics. otherwise, me being the classic liberal, pro-Obama type, I might decide that gun ownership isn't for me, and stop supporting the cause!
    Absolutely agree. 2A shouldn't be a political dividing point; it should be there for all of us to use to protect ourselves and our loved ones, regardless.

And this should go for the politicians, too, as well as us only-normally-crazy people.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links