What do you do with your gun in the car?

This is a discussion on What do you do with your gun in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simple question really... when you get in your car, what do you do with your handgun? Where do you place it, if at all? For ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your gun in the car?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

What do you do with your gun in the car?

Simple question really... when you get in your car, what do you do with your handgun? Where do you place it, if at all?

For me I usally just stick it in my seat/console area while I'm driving so it's not hard to get on my person.

2. Remove Ads

It stays on my hip. I see no need to take it off unless I'm going through a bad part of town with allot of stops along the way. If that's the case, I put it under my leg for easy access.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I leave it on my hip. When I first got my CCW I mounted a holster in the center console so I'd have a place to put it and now I never use it. I've found it a lot easier to just leave it alone and keep it where it always is.

Same place it was when i got in the car 4 Oclock IWB

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Just curious what would you guys who keep it on your person do if you were suddenly car jacked and you needed it? I'm thinking the seatbelt would get in the way. How would you handle the situation? Thats part of the reason I keep it on the console so I can get to it immediately if needed.

The principal CCW stays where it is. If it's carried in a fanny pack, that slides around to the front for easy access while behind the wheel. If it is in a belt holster, covered by a sweater-vest (and the seat belt) then a back-up gun can go from RF pants pocket to inside left jacket pocket for easier access while driving (I have KT .32 and .380 for this purpose). A S&W 642 also rides well in a pocket holster in the left inside jacket pocket, instead of a belt holster, if I am wearing only a light jacket without a sweater to cover the OWB holster.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Just curious what would you guys who keep it on your person do if you were suddenly car jacked and you needed it? I'm thinking the seatbelt would get in the way. How would you handle the situation? Thats part of the reason I keep it on the console so I can get to it immediately if needed.
    You might want to consider a cross draw carry holster while you'r in the car. That should put the seatbelt concern to rest. Just a thought.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Mine stays on my side in a Don Hume pancake holster. It rides high enough that the seat belt is not in the way.
    Proud NRA member

Thumbs up

I have a newer model silverado. Seat/console for me also.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    At first I used to remove mine and place it in a cup holder with the insert removed. I found it flopped around and I considered what might happen in a collision. It now stays in my OWB holster, just turned a tiny bit cloer to 2:30 than the normal 3:00 position, and I tuck my shirt between my body and the top of the firearm. That puts it in an easy position to grab if I need it and the seatbeat doesn't interfere with drawing it. When I release the seatbelt to get out I pull the shirt back to it's normal "cover" position and wiggle the holster back to 3:00. With the tall console in my Bronco the gun isn't visible to anyone from either side of the vehicle.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Just curious what would you guys who keep it on your person do if you were suddenly car jacked and you needed it? I'm thinking the seatbelt would get in the way.
    Nope... As I would be reaching to undo the seat belt, I would be returning my hand with a little package for the jacker,.. I don't want be a separated by anything if I had to get out,.. Always on ones person,..

Mine is IWB at about 3:30 - 4:00 and I find that the seatbelt really doesn't interfere with it under normal driving conditions.

If I pull into a gas station and wait outside while my wife runs in I'll unbucle for easier access just in case.

If someone did try to carjack me at a light or something like that my first reaction would be to try to drive out of the situation. However, if that wasn't possible I prefer the gun with me. If I do wind up being pulled out of the car or jumping out quickly I know it's going with me and not left behind.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Simple question really... when you get in your car, what do you do with your handgun? Where do you place it, if at all?

For me I usally just stick it in my seat/console area while I'm driving so it's not hard to get on my person.
    It stays where it is in a holster under my shirt.
    My wife isnt licensed and if I accidentally forgot to take it with me and left her in the car with it shes looking at a felony charge. Not worth the risk, not to mention I dont see the point in disarming and rearming each step in or out of the car...too much unnecessary handling of the firearm, in my opinion.

Lightbulb My 2 cents...

IWB...strong side, kidney...same place it always is.
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Unless I am coming or going to work, or at work, it is on my hip.

Right now it is in the trunk of my car since I can't carry at work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links