Odd LEO encounter

This is a discussion on Odd LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While driving home I pass Detroit police patrol car that has just stopped a Juvenile on a bicycle I no sooner round the next corner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd LEO encounter

Odd LEO encounter

While driving home I pass Detroit police patrol car that has just stopped a Juvenile on a bicycle I no sooner round the next corner and I am pulled over just a few houses from my house.

The car I am driving is not in my name so LEO doesn’t know that I am carrying from the plate.

I stop ASAP roll down the window and put both hands outside, the officer approaches the vehicle and I tell him as the law requires that I am carrying with a permit. He is talking at the same time, pauses for a moment and says, the reason that I stopped you is because there was a report of gun shots in the area.
    I restate that I am armed and have a permit. He says you have a gun do you have a permit for it? I am looking at his body armor that states he is in the gang squad and I say, yes I do and I live just a few houses down the street.

Never asked for ID of any type, and says, you got a gun and permit well have a nice night sorry for bothering you.

At which point I thank him for his service and wish him well.

As I park the car in front of the house it occurs to me that the police were looking for someone with a gun, they stop me, know absolutely nothing about me except what I tell him and bid me a good night!
    My how things have changed. I like it.

2. Remove Ads

So why did he pull you over?
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

He said that there was a report of gun shots in the neighborhood. There were several other patrol cars in the area, it seemed obvious they were looking for someone.

You didn't fit the description of the guy they were looking for or weren't wearing the clothes they were looking for , so he didn't need to talk to you any further.

Odd that if they were looking for someone with a gun that you got off just because you said you had a permit...I would have preferred if he had asked for your permit and then let you go, but at least it was a positive encounter.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Actually "odd" in this situation would have been if they confiscated your pistol for testing and a background check that could take weeks just to see if your pistol had been fired recently. Glad it all worked out well for you.

That's actually an excellent stop...for Detroit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You didn't fit the description of the guy they were looking for or weren't wearing the clothes they were looking for , so he didn't need to talk to you any further.
    Bingo! Resonable suspicion stop. Once it is determined that you didn't fit the description of the shooter there is no probable cause to futher detain you so the lawful and resonable stop has ended and you are let go.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    im guessing sense he was legal than they new he wasn't the suspect remember Detroit here
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

When I lived in the Detroit area I had a similar thing happen. These situations are pretty dynamic and decisions are made very fast, as it was with me. They kicked me on my way and took off, having bigger fish to fry.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I'd be willing to bet that you putting your hands out the window where he can see them helped a little bit too. I'm pretty sure someone who illegally discharged a weapon in the city is not going to put their hands out the window, but instead, try to stash the gun under the seat or somewhere else in the car.

You also informed him immediately before he could tell you what happened.

Most LEO are pretty good at reading peoples reaction to that first contact, your demeanor spoke volumes.

I open carried all last summer and twice I had LEO approach, make small talk then walk away without asking for ID or anything. Just like a shark or BG will “bump” a potential victim to gauge the response and decide whether to continue the attack. LEO will also “bump” someone and gauge the response to decide whether to investigate further, failure to make eye contact, stammering with hesitant answers and restlessness will almost guarantee further investigation.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    It was probably more your vehicle that was responsible for the stop. It either matched the make or color of the one they were looking for. The fact that you were up front and open impressed the officer, so based on his instinct, he let you go.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sounds like a good encounter to me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like you didn't fit the bill on this one. Sounds like you did everything right!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links