Tennessee carry question about advising an officer?

This is a discussion on Tennessee carry question about advising an officer? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the state of Tennessee are you required by law to inform the officer that has stopped you that you are armed? I have heard ...

Thread: Tennessee carry question about advising an officer?

Tennessee carry question about advising an officer?

In the state of Tennessee are you required by law to inform the officer that has stopped you that you are armed? I have heard of states that by law you are not required to tell an officer that you are carrying a weapon. Is Tennessee one of those states?
    "A coward dies a thousand deaths. But a man dies only once."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    This is not required in Tennessee.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

You are only required if the officer asks.

holstered-

I believe your signature line should be "Cowards die many times before their deaths. The valiant never taste of death but once." from the play Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare.

It has been used by others in various configurations but from the little research I have done I believe Shakespeare was the first

VIP Member
    Not a requirement in TN to notify.

For future reference Handgunlaw.us will answer questions like this for you.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Although not required, in order to not surprise the officer, I tend to make it a policy to advise.

Imagine if you will, your pulled over, your asked to get your papers which you have in your glovebox. In doing so, you have to bend which exposes your weapon, the officer having been shot at a couple days earlier is a bit jumpy and when you turn back, your being screamed at with the business end of a Glock in your face.

I dont like that thought, so I will kindly notify.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Although not required, in order to not surprise the officer, I tend to make it a policy to advise.

Imagine if you will, your pulled over, your asked to get your papers which you have in your glovebox. In doing so, you have to bend which exposes your weapon, the officer having been shot at a couple days earlier is a bit jumpy and when you turn back, your being screamed at with the business end of a Glock in your face.

I dont like that thought, so I will kindly notify.
    When I'm pulled over, which has been never since I got my CCW I will hand the officer my driver license and my CCW license when he or she asks for my DL. Then I will keep both my hands on the wheel and calmly inform him/her that I am currently armed and where the firearm is. Then I will allow them to decide what I am to do for them.

I've heard that some officers will say something like "keep it there and keep your hands on the wheel" while others will ask you to step out and disarm you once they have another officer arrive to assist.

I don't know if I like them disarming me. First of all I'm concealed and now ppl driving by can see I was armed. Second of all, I know some officers might not be too good with a gun and manipulating the slide might be a problem. I wouldn't want to get swept by a loaded weapon...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    When I'm pulled over, which has been never since I got my CCW I will hand the officer my driver license and my CCW license when he or she asks for my DL.
    My exact situation and policy though there is no duty to inform in Oregon.

I've also made a habit of keeping my wallet out when driving so that I don't have to reach near my gun to get it.

BTW, Holstered, I love your avatar!
    Last edited by Xader; September 30th, 2009 at 02:06 AM.

You do not need to notify in TN unless asked. However your DL is tied to your carry permit and they know as soon as they run the DL. I have not been pulled over in years and if the officer seemed edgy I would most likely advise as the others have stated to do...ounce of prevention = pound of cure and could go a long way toward changing his/her mind about civilian carry if they are against it.

After reading many, many posts misusing the word your, maybe a short grammar lesson is in order ...

YOUR: possessive adjective

1 belonging to or associated with the person or people that the speaker is addressing : what is your name?

2 belonging to or associated with any person in general : the sight is enough to break your heart.

informal used to denote someone or something that is familiar or typical of its kind : I'm just your average Joe | she is one of your chatty types.

3 ( Your) used when addressing the holder of certain titles : Your Majesty | Your Eminence.

YOU'RE: contraction for YOU ARE

The two are NOT synonymous.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    After reading many, many posts misusing the word your, maybe a short grammar lesson is in order ...

YOUR: possessive adjective

1 belonging to or associated with the person or people that the speaker is addressing : what is your name?

2 belonging to or associated with any person in general : the sight is enough to break your heart.

informal used to denote someone or something that is familiar or typical of its kind : I'm just your average Joe | she is one of your chatty types.

3 ( Your) used when addressing the holder of certain titles : Your Majesty | Your Eminence.

YOU'RE: contraction for YOU ARE

The two are NOT synonymous.
    Although many grammar lessons appear needed...the timeline for correcting a post may have already passed when the 'poster' notices his error.
    I have, at times, noticed the blatant error...but too late to fix.
    Not defending, just noting...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Who misused the word "your?"
    "A coward dies a thousand deaths. But a man dies only once."

Quote Originally Posted by holstered View Post
    Who misused the word "your?"
    Only one on this thread, but if you read all the threads, the list would be long and embarrassing.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Although there is no duty to notify in Oregon your Concealed Handgun License and your Oregon Driver's License are linked together in the states computer system. So, if you are stopped by a LEO and he checks your license he will also know you have a CHL without you telling him.

Now you have a choice to make. Tell or not tell.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Links