Defensive Carry banner

2 CC issues I am having.

4K views 42 replies 37 participants last post by  Bark'n 
#1 ·
I am having a few issues with CC'ing. One because it has recently started getting a bit chilly here and it's now jacket weather and the other because I just hadn't reallly thought of it before. Lets start with the latter.

I'm screwed when I am in my car. I carry a Glock 19 IWB at around 3:30 to 4 o'clock. I find this position pretty comfortable (Even while sitting which amazed me a bit) but I have realized that when taking into account that I am basically leaning on the gun, I have a shirt over it and I have a seat belt on, there's no chance I could actually draw it if I needed to.

I already have a feeling I know the solution to this one. The problem is I don't want to have to take my gun off and put it back on every time I get in and out of the car. This is mainly for 2 reasons. There's a good chance someone would see it while I am wrestling it on and off. And second, I often times have people that are anti gun in the car (Such as my mother) and don't really like to make people uncomfortable. Any suggenstions?

Issue number 2. Carrying IWB with a shirt over it AND a jacket/coat. This is yet another situation where it is incredibly hard to draw. Not only do I have to get past my coat but I need to get past my cover shirt as well. This isn't so much of an issue if we are going someplace I don't have to remove my jacket (Like the grocery store) as I would just not wear a cover shirt because the coat would hide it but places where I do remove my jacket (like a restaurant) pose a issue. Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I understand. As you mentioned, a lot of the 'issues' are due to life style and who is around you. The day will come when I'm armed to the teeth, and nobody will care or notice. However, for now, I deal with having my kids friends piled in the car, getting hugs from folks at church, etc... As much as I love having the G19 with me, these days it's in a pancake holster in my trunk. I can slip it on easily when I'm doing parts of my job that are a little dicey, and I've scaled my EDC back to an LCP that I carry in a wallet holster in my back pocket. It's not the best solution, but there's no chance of me getting 'made', and I always have it with me.

FWIW...

#3 ·
For the first area,.. Practice, practice, practice,.. You'll find a way to be able to retrieve it if needed.. You really would want to trip the seat belt if your in a defensive situation... But to each there own.. Practice what works for you..

For the second problem.. Practice, practice, practice,.. You'll find dressing differently will change daily.. Just practice with all your different cloths including a coat too.. You'll find bringing your thumb on your strong hand up allong your pants will get your hand in possition to grab your weapon.. But then again,.. Practice,. Without practice it is just words,.. What works for one, may not work for another,.... You'll find your own if you keep searching for what works for you..

#6 ·
For the first area,.. Practice, practice, practice,..

For the second problem.. Practice, practice, practice,..
Agreed ...

We all have to deal with these issues more or less. Carrying a gun fulltime is not for everybody and/or every circumstance. It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. You need to learn to dress around your gun. Everyday may be different as is every situation. The more you practice every scenario with every variable, the more muscle memory you will build. Eventually, it becomes automatic and may take some time, but, sooner or later, you will be confident in your carrying and it will become second nature.

#10 ·
The situation you describe is one of many reasons why I am a fan of multi gun carry.

"My name is Biker. I carry guns, not a gun."

Biker

#7 ·
You may want to consider looking at different coats and seeing if one would lend itself to tailoring - you can make one of the pockets open (thus rendering it useless for holding things) allowing easy access inside the coat. Perhaps if you put the gun in a different location you'd be able to easily reach in through the jacket, while driving. Thus not requiring removal.

I feel fortunate that the only persons who are ever passenger in my car have no problems with seeing a gun in the car. I remove it, and my cell phone, before driving. Becomes habit quickly.

#8 ·
You could try a shoulder holster, In the fall, winter and spring its what i use.

#22 ·
Ditto ... if doing a lot of driving or extended trips, I switch to a shoulder holster, and the BUG goes to my ankle. I also make use of an under-dash holster by CrossBreed. Dress for the occasion/day.

-Seawolf

#9 ·
The more I think about it the more I am thinking I may just carry my LCP. Since it can go in my coat pocket I never have to worry about getting past 2 layers of clothing to get to it and it would be easily accessable when driving.

#11 ·
I would bet I can pull my weapon and empty the mag,. from my car seat, truck seat or bike quicker they you could get an LCP out of your pocket from sitting in a car,... Pocket carry has it's place, but I don't think that is a better choice from your above post,... Just IMHO

#12 ·
Hey Rollo-- for short trips I keep my G23 in the holster but adjust it right when I sit down (practice it a bit and you should find a comfortable-'ish' position) and for long trips I stash it in my center console and 'arm up' before reaching my destination at a stop light, gas station, etc. Doesn't solve all your problems, just how I manage the issue. It does seem to cut into the seat back a bit when it's on me too...

Second issue: when you aren't going to remove your coat (or even when you are), I tuck the cover shirt behind the Glock so that way you only have one layer to get past before *Glock-rockin'-sweetness* access. In the same idea, you can discreetly move your cover shirt over the firearm before taking off your coat if need be.

#13 ·
A shoulder holster solves your problems. You can wear it under your shirt if you're going to be taking your jacket off a lot.

They have a "smart carry" style as well that is all fabric for an under-the-garment concealed shoulder holster setup. I don't know the mfg as I am not interested in this myself but it may be the answer for you.

Finally, CC is NOT a "quick draw" solution. Situational awareness is primary. Secondary is "how do I get out of here?" Third, is draw and fire if there is no other option. Given these 3 "steps" and sitting in a 3000 lb deadly missile I have several other options for self defense than needing to immediately draw my EDC. ESPECIALLY with a car load of family/kids.

#15 ·
Not that it is all that helpful for you, left handed carry does not have the seatbelt issues in the car. Maybe a cross draw holster (on your left with the grip toward the front of you)

Lefties rule!

#20 ·
This is what I do. I have one ready to go if I needed it and couldn't reach my CC.

#19 · (Edited)
What Biker and Agentmel said. Learned a long time ago the hard way have a spare gun or guns. A shoulder holster might privide a good solution. I personaly do not like IWB. I carry OWB and find it much easier and faster to access my weapon.

Semper Fi

#21 ·
Rollo,

I carry basically the same as you. I have the advantage of a lot of desert around here so I can actually practice shooting from my vehicle but even if you only have a garage for privacy, you can practice drawing from your position in your vehicle. Naturally all the safety warning apply here... no ammo even in the garage (or wherever you're practicing) and check, check and check again that the weapon is empty etc. Use a Blue Gun if you have one.

Using both thumbs, start at chest level and trace your seat belt to the buckle. With your right hand, undo the buckle and with the left, move the belt over your left shoulder... don't let it go! It can tangle you up so assist it off to the side. At the same time sweeping your cover garment up (assuming right handed here) with your right thumb as you lean slightly forward and acquire a grip on your weapon. As you draw, trace the circumference of your steering wheel moving toward the side window, this helps you keep your muzzle oriented and avoid other entanglement. Move your support hand to your weapon, aim and press the trigger.

It sounds complicated and I may have missed a point or two but you get the basic idea. With practice you can very effectively draw and fire seated in your vehicle.

Just some food for thought! :wink:

#26 ·
I agree with ArmyCop, carrying a BUG is the best option in the situations you mention. Your G19 available while out of the car and a BUG in the coat pocket when getting to your G19 is not a readily available option.

#27 ·
I believe DeSantis makes a holster specifically made for a car seat. I'm not sure how it works exactly but the holster itself sits between your legs on the front of the seat. When you get in your vehicle, just remove your gun from your IWB holster and put it in the car holster in front of you.

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...action=prepare_detail&itm_id=2703&itm_index=2

Or Blackhawk makes a quick disconnect thingy that you could mount to your car door and put a G19 Serpa holster on it.

BLACKHAWK! SERPA Quick Disconnect Kit (2 Female/1 Male) - BLACKHAWK!

Carrying in a shoulder holster is a great option for those extended trips.

#28 ·
Issue number 2. Carrying IWB with a shirt over it AND a jacket/coat. This is yet another situation where it is incredibly hard to draw. Not only do I have to get past my coat but I need to get past my cover shirt as well. This isn't so much of an issue if we are going someplace I don't have to remove my jacket (Like the grocery store) as I would just not wear a cover shirt because the coat would hide it but places where I do remove my jacket (like a restaurant) pose a issue. Any suggestions?
I actually have an answer for this one. It's what I do when carrying IWB with jacket a lot of the time. I simply tuck my shirt in behind my IWB holster. That way, I can remove my jacket if I want, and pull my shirt out to cover, just like warmer weather carry. I spent a bit of time figuring this out because a lot of times we'll be out and go into a restaurant or somewhere that is too warm for jacket. If I carried OWB, I'd be screwed removing my jacket at the buffet.

#29 ·
For issue 1...I'm not convinced you need to worry too much about fast draw in the car.

If you are in the car, and see trouble coming, and can drive away - just drive away.

If you are in the car and get surprised - well, you aren't going to outdraw a drawn gun. Best bet may be to comply until you can get out of the car.

If you are in the car, see trouble coming, but cannot drive away (you're boxed in), the best tactic is get out of the car and fight on foot. Cars are bullet magnets and offer no cover from incoming fire. If you have people in the car, it is still best for you to get out and draw fire away from them.

Issue 2 - You may want to keep your coat open, at least partially. I leave the bottom of my coat open (I buy coats with buttons or two-way zippers for this reason). Practice, and your draw should still be reasonable.

I would caution against putting another gun in your coat pocket - what happens when you get to your destination, and have to take the coat off? Is your gun secure? Not a good idea, IMHO.

Best of luck!

#30 ·
If you are in the car, see trouble coming, but cannot drive away (you're boxed in), the best tactic is get out of the car and fight on foot. Cars are bullet magnets and offer no cover from incoming fire. If you have people in the car, it is still best for you to get out and draw fire away from them.
For those who doubt this statement, take a look at:

The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #3 - Pistols and Car Doors

The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #4 - Rifles and Car Doors - Page 1

The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #5 - Shotguns and Car Doors - Page 1

#31 ·
A suggestion

I suggest reading the book "The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery." I read the 6th Edition by Massad Ayoob. In this book he covers Drawing your weapon, clearing cover shirts, types of holsters, and many more topics. I learned a lot about carrying from this book, and I recommend it to everyone.

Weaz

#32 ·
Not only does a vehicle offer no cover, but a vehicle taking hits produces "spall," shrapnel from the metal, glass, plastic, insulation, etc that will be flying around inside - not to mention bullets and fragments of bullets. Thus, you can be injured even by a "miss."

Unless you're in an armored vehicle, your best bet is to get out of an immobile vehicle as fast as you can.

#33 ·
On trips of 'concern', I either take a second gun (holstered) between the seat and console...or I take two holsters and my CCW goes between the seat and console while I'm in the car.:smile:

#35 ·
When you're alone in the car, draw the gun from the holster and lay it on the passenger's seat or in a cup holder, or even get a Kingston car seat holster from DeSantis. When Mom's along, keep it holstered and concealed and hope you don't need it. Practice drawing unloaded from wherever you're likely to need to.

#36 ·
I'll admit to also carrying more than one gun as well. I finally broke down a few months ago and started carrying a Keltec in a pocket holster. Took about two seconds to get use to it. I get up in the morning, put my ID/Case in my back pocket, money clip in my left pocket with my keys and drop the Keltec in my right front pocket. Somewhere along the way I pick up my LDA CW Para .45 and that goes in a Tucker IWB Holster at about 3:30. If I can't get to that one...the pocket holster has pretty free access. Really never thought I'd be a two gun guy but the pocket carry is just a non-issue compared to any other type of carry I've done in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.