... My Brother's Keeper

... My Brother's Keeper

This is a discussion on ... My Brother's Keeper within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week my best friend and I go out for a bit of target practice after I pick up my newest pistol. ( Ruger 22 ...

Thread: ... My Brother's Keeper

... My Brother's Keeper

Last week my best friend and I go out for a bit of target practice after I pick up my newest pistol. (Ruger 22 Charger™ *Rimfire Autoloading*Pistols)

He has this 9mm he tells me he's planning to carry on a regular basis. Well, he no sooner says that than it misfeeds a round.
    The very next clip, he takes aim at the target, and the magazine pops loose.
    I don't want my friend relying on this gun in a life and death situation, but he didn't seem too concerned about it, saying he just needed to practice his grip, etc.

Any thoughts? He has other pistols, I'm not sure why he chose this one to carry, other than it's small size. I don't know what model it is, but it's semi-auto with a self cocking hammer, and fairly small.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Maybe you should direct him to Defensivecarry dot com. We all would be happy to help you guide him in his path of self defense.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Maybe you should direct him to Defensivecarry dot com. We all would be happy to help you guide him in his path of self defense.

+1 to Rcher! Have him hop on here and tell us his story and make/model of the gun and so forth.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

You can try to influence him toward something safer (and good for you for being concerned for him), but in the end it's his decision.

sounds like a JA to me. Whatever it is it's a piece of garbage. If he's concerned about the size and the cost of the gun, I recommend the Khar CW9 or CW40. Super light, super small for the caliber. And a great price, especially for a Khar, usually around $400.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    my best friend ... He has this 9mm he tells me he's planning to carry on a regular basis ... it misfeeds a round ... the magazine pops loose.

Any thoughts?
    As others have suggested, you can send him here. Ask him to post a few questions about his predicament and what he thinks. Folks will give him an earful, I'm sure.

Basic principles I would suggest:
    • Reliability is #1, with a carry weapon. If you can't rely upon it to function 100% of the time, it might get you killed if it fails when needed.
    • Familiarity is #2. If you aren't familiar with its handling and idiosyncrasies, it shouldn't be the carry gun of choice.
    • Consistent practice is #3. If you aren't regularly practicing with your specific carry gun, doing actual shooting as well as dry-fires and handling drills, then it shouldn't be the carry gun of choice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

He needs practice practice practice, and good influences such as he can find at IPSC and IDPA. He shoots a season with either of those and he won't be the same person afterward - he will be SAFE and COMPETENT.

I don't want my friend relying on this gun in a life and death situation, but he didn't seem too concerned about it, saying he just needed to practice his grip, etc.
    It sounds allot more serious than just his grip. I agree with the others, send him here and let him give some specifics of the pistol and he'll get some very valuable information in return. Information that just may save his or a loved ones life.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Last week my best friend and I go out for a bit of target practice after I pick up my newest pistol. (Ruger 22 Charger™ *Rimfire Autoloading*Pistols)

He has this 9mm he tells me he's planning to carry on a regular basis. Well, he no sooner says that than it misfeeds a round.
    The very next clip, he takes aim at the target, and the magazine pops loose.

Any thoughts? He has other pistols, I'm not sure why he chose this one to carry, other than it's small size. I don't know what model it is, but it's semi-auto with a self cocking hammer, and fairly small.
    Hmm, new gun, new to him gun or used gun with problems? Did you look it over for any visible problems or try shooting it yourself?
    Could be a new gun that just needs some break-in, could be it doesn't like the ammo he was feeding it, maybe he didn't fully seat the mag?
    It could be something minor or something more serious, talk with him about it and if it still gives him trouble, try different ammo, another shooter, or even a gunsmith to check it out before he relies on it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Your concern is commendable. Send him here. If we don't try to help each other we're going to hear "We're from the government. We're here to help."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thank you all so much for your input. When I brought the topic up he told me that when he got home that evening he cleaned it and hasn't had a problem since.
    Apparently that was the FIRST time he's EVER cleaned that particular gun...

Apparently that was the FIRST time he's EVER cleaned that particular gun...
    It's his carry gun? The one he's staking his life on, should he need it?

Keep working on him. Hopefully, he can see the error of this path.

Before I would get too excited, figure out what when wrong and see if the problem can be solved...mags? a needed cleaning? limp wrist?...etc.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's his carry gun? The one he's staking his life on, should he need it?

Keep working on him. Hopefully, he can see the error of this path.
    I don't think he's started carrying full time yet. I don't either for that matter. The concept is still pretty new to me. In fact, when I took the CCW class this spring, I had to borrow two pistols for the range portion of the class. I didn't buy my G26 till a few weeks later.
    At the time my only firearm was an SKS.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

I don't think he's started carrying full time yet. I don't either for that matter. The concept is still pretty new to me.
    There are quite a lot of questions to answer and get comfortable with, as well as skills to acquire, certainly. You'll get there.

Here are some thoughts I went through, prior to carrying, at a time when the concept was quite new to me as well: click.

Sponsored Links