My Firearms License Experience

This is a discussion on My Firearms License Experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Georgia, the firearms license covers both concealed and open carry. While I do not need one to carry in my store or home, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In Georgia, the firearms license covers both concealed and open carry. While I do not need one to carry in my store or home, the LEO that patrols my area suggested I get one because it just eliminates a whole lot of potential problems. Crime has unfortunately risen dramatically recently and I would like to point out this man has been an outstanding officer who has helped us with a few minor issues over the years and seems genuinely concerned about the welfare of all the hard working business owners of this complex. He was also the one that pointed me in the direction of my Glock 27 that I dearly love.

Anyways, Georgia is a "shall issue" state and the particular county and I reside in is Columbia County. The firearms license is issued through the Probate Court. I showed up one afternoon, went through security, and entered the probate office. One of the first things I saw was a big sign that said, "We respect your right to not include your social security number on your firearms license form." This instantly gave me a comforting feeling.

The clerk greeted me and I asked if I could apply for my firearms license. She frowned and said, "I'm sorry, we don't do those on days that court is in session because we're so busy and the cashbox is in the courtroom." We were the ONLY people in the office. She then smiled though and said, "I can't really say we're busy right now though can I? If you have exact change I'll go ahead and do it."

Fortunately I did have exact change since I had researched the amount on the county website. I filled out the application and presented my driver's license, leaving my SSN off and answered the NICS questions. I paid my $55 and had my right index finger printed and was done.

I asked her, if the SSN wasn't required, why did they have a spot for it on the form? She said that sometimes people have very common names and move frequently and the SSN can expedite the process.

So, I thanked her for her time and almost thanked her for the 2 inches of thong and tramp stamp I got to stare at while she ran my NICS check.

Approximately 2 weeks later, my license arrived in the mail, with a copy of the firearms license law, and a recommendation to check out GeorgiaPacking.org for relevant information. Apparently Judge Pat Hardaway is a very pro-gun rights person. In a recent interview about increased gun sales and firearms license applications she stated, "I have a new Glock."

I have been carrying my G27 in a Supertuck now for a week everywhere I can and have enjoyed the sense of security I get from knowing I can protect myself, my family, and my employees. I have also been surprised at how much more observant I have become when I am out. It's like watching the world from a completely different vantage. Now if we can only get the Georgia legislature to relax these stupid "public gathering" restrictions and make the entire state open to carry.

So, I thanked her for her time and almost thanked her for the 2 inches of thong and tramp stamp I got to stare at while she ran my NICS check.

Ahh yes, the nice helpful gals with thongs and tramp stamps.

Welcome

Biker

Howdy neighbor. Good to see a fellow Georgian exercising their right to CC. Stay safe!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to the fold and congrats on your license to carry.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

VIP Member
    Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Biker
    yes, so helpful and adding that extra special customer service touch
    makes one wonder if the office staff is like that, what does the judge have on under the robe

congrats on the license app experience
    welcome to the group
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Good story, thanks for sharing. Welcome
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Comgrats on your permit.

VIP Member
    Welcome! Great example for some in government service.

Did you see what she had in her thong?
    Attached Images
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Howdy neighbor. Good to see a fellow Georgian exercising their right to CC. Stay safe!
    One small correction. It's a privilege. A right is an action that one is free to exercise without paying the government for permission to do.

Thank you Biomortis, for taking the effort to have the ability to provide for your and your familie's protection.

It was a right before it was a privilege. All creatures have the right from birth to defense, it's not something they should ask for or be privileged to enact. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I asked her, if the SSN wasn't required, why did they have a spot for it on the form? She said that sometimes people have very common names and move frequently and the SSN can expedite the process.
    +1 on that. My name is common enough that if don't include my SSN, it'll flag my application.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    yes, so helpful and adding that extra special customer service touch
    makes one wonder if the office staff is like that, what does the judge have on under the robe
    Sounds like she probably has that new glock of hers under the robe.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Did you see what she had in her thong?
    Wow... Super funny.

Thanks for the image gunthorp.

That made my day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post

Welcome

Biker

I have a Cousin in Sacramento, whom i have'nt seen since 1992, and in Cali., they were called Santa Monica Liscense Plates

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I admit, I had to Google "tramp stamp" to confirm my suspician that it means "lower back tatoo." I'm so out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links