Stupid: CCW Permit Holder Threatens to shoot his iPhone (Merged)

This is a discussion on Stupid: CCW Permit Holder Threatens to shoot his iPhone (Merged) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guy Gets Mad at iPhone, Threatens To Shoot It. With a Real Gun. OK, we know the iPhone, as wonderful as it is, can be ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid: CCW Permit Holder Threatens to shoot his iPhone (Merged)

Stupid: CCW Permit Holder Threatens to shoot his iPhone (Merged)

Guy Gets Mad at iPhone, Threatens To Shoot It. With a Real Gun.

OK, we know the iPhone, as wonderful as it is, can be a troublesome device. It can freeze, and the apps can get all weird, and then you can’t play Zynga Poker or whatever it is you like to do with it.

But going into an Apple Store, asking for the phone to be fixed, then revealing a gun and threatening to shoot the device is probably not the best way to vent your frustration. One Donald Goodrich from Westwood learned that the hard way, as he was arrested and charged with aggravated menacing and causing fear of harm to an Apple employee.

Apparently, Donald brought his iPhone to the Apple store, told the Apple employee he was “So mad, I could pop a 9mm at it,” and then actually revealed a real 9mm handgun. The Apple employee she’d get his phone fixed, and then told her manager who called the police. To his credit, Donald did have a concealed weapon permit, but, as he soon discovered, it doesn’t cover threatening to shoot gadgets at a store full of people.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Fools such as Goodrich give all gun owners a dad name. Yet another poster child for the brady gang.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

... told the Apple employee he was “So mad, I could pop a 9mm at it,” and then actually revealed a real 9mm handgun.
    While he directly threatened no person, his words and actions are strongly suggestive that he's a few bottles short of a six-pack.

"Golly Neds!," as granddad used to say. It's amazing what possesses people, these days. I'm sure this person is a wonderfully intelligent individual, both stable and responsible around people. I'm sure he wouldn't hurt a fly. Inanimate objects, though, had apparently better watch out!

Imagine what the staff in the store saw and heard. Imagine hearing the verbal statements and watching someone display and brandish a firearm while making such statements.

The problem is: (a) verbal threats; (b) loaded firearm; (c) brandishing; legitimate fear induced in others sufficient for them to call police. This all strongly suggests he might be a threat in the future, if he were to get "mad" at something ... or someone.

... he was arrested and charged with aggravated menacing and causing fear of harm to an Apple employee.
    Huh! I didn't know that "causing fear of harm to an Apple employee" was an arrestable offense. Apples have come up in the world, if that's true. You learn something knew every day.

Depends on the state statutes. In Oregon, there isn't a "brandishing" statute per se. And, this guy wasn't threatening a person. So, it's a good bet, in the shall-issue state of Oregon, at least, this person would at worst be facing a misdemeanor charge on the order of "making threatening statements" or "disturbing the peace," or some similar vague charge. Given the statutes, here, I can't see it giving enough ammo to the sheriff to rescind his CHL on the basis of the words/actions, though. But then, I'm not a sheriff or attorney. Them's guesses.

Question: If you were a county sheriff in a may-issue state who had the responsibility to determine who is stable and responsible enough to carry, would you be inclined to consider Mr. Knee-Jerk's "need" to outweigh his community's concern over his words and deeds? I certainly can't imagine issuing a CHL if known behavior such as that were found in his recent past.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I wonder what was going through his itty bitty little pea brain as he was being handcuffed?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Oy vey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I wonder what was going through his itty bitty little pea brain as he was being handcuffed?
    Maybe trying to remember a phone number that he had stored on his iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    Maybe trying to remember a phone number that he had stored on his iPhone.
    Dang. Wish I had my iPhone so I can call that lawyer.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Stupid....stupid dumb ***
    [One Nation Under God]

I never use 9mm for my I-phone.

An apple corer works just fine.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    So I guess they're not going to fix my phone,..

CCW'er shows 9mm in Apple store - Arrested

OK Boys and Girls... What does the first "C" in "CCW" stand for?

A clerk at the Apple Store in Kenwood Towne Centre kept a cool head when a customer reportedly took his frustration with his iPhone too far.

Hamilton County sheriff’s deputies say Donald Goodrich, 38, of Westwood, took his phone into the store Thursday at about 12:30 p.m. and told the clerk, "I’m so mad I could pop a 9mm at it. I could really do it right now, look!"

Goodrich opened his shirt and showed the clerk a gun, deputies said.

Chelsea Levine didn’t panic. She reportedly told Goodrich “there no need for that.”

“I told him we’d get the phone fixed (and) walked him to a technician,” Levine wrote in court records.

Levine told her manager to call the police, according to her statement to police.

Goodrich was arrested on a charge of aggravated menacing and carrying a concealed weapon. He has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, but he allegedly did not tell deputies he had a gun, as required by law.

Deputies seized the weapon and filed paperwork to revoke Goodrich’s concealed carry permit, according to reports.

Goodrich was held in jail overnight. Hamilton County Municipal Judge Melissa Powers Friday released Goodrich on his promise to return to court and ordered him to stay away from the mall.
    ORIGINAL STORY

I have no sympathy for this jerk.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

What an ignorant hothead.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have no sympathy for this jerk.
    +1 no sympathy at all

"You can't fix stupid."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links