National Forest

This is a discussion on National Forest within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do National Forests allow CCW in states that have CCW? Thanks. I swear I read somewhere that they do. Getting ready to go on a ...

Thread: National Forest

National Forest

Do National Forests allow CCW in states that have CCW?

Thanks.

I swear I read somewhere that they do. Getting ready to go on a hiking trip. I usually only go to national forests to hunt turkey and not much else.

2. Remove Ads

Buried way down at the bottom of HR 627, the Credit Card Protection Act of 2009, (the full text can be read here: GovTrack: H.R. 627: Text of Legislation, Enrolled Bill )
    somebody snuck in a bit about carrying on certain government lands, such as national parks.

If you read section 512, it states:

"(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--

(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

So it sounds like you might be all set. I'm almost certain this bill passed, but I'd still double check if I were you. It's fresh (and under reported) enough that the folks doing the enforcing might not be familiar with it yet.

not until 22 feb 2010

There is a distinction between "National Forest" and "National Park". I would do a little more research. Particularly if you say you already hunt turkey in a national forest.

VIP Member
    National Forest are currently legal to carry in if the state they are located in allows carrying in the state forests. If the state doesn't not allow carry in state forest then carry in national forest is not allowed. For example, VA does allow carry in state forest and national forest are legal to carry in. NC on the other hand does not allow carry in state forests, so national forests are off limits also.

There is a difference between national parks/WMA's and forest. NP's and Wildlife areas doesn't go into effect until 02/2010.

To find out if the state you will be in is legal to carry check this link, about middle of the page. Handgunlaw.us

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    There is a distinction between "National Forest" and "National Park". I would do a little more research. Particularly if you say you already hunt turkey in a national forest.

With a few exceptions on a "Forest by Forest" basis the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws where the Forest is located.

For example, check: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/general_...20NF_Lands.pdf
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Uwharrie Nat'l Forest in NC has a shooting range in it, as well as hunting allowed.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

National forests, yes. National parks, not yet.

Senior Moderator
    Bear in mind that although the forest may allow it, some installations within the forest (ranger stations, etc) are federal property and may not allow it.

For example, Ocala National Forest in Florda - you're fine to carry in the forest, but you can't CCW into the ranger stations or visitor's centers.

At least in Ocala, I'd definitely recommend carrying. We've met some interesting characters in the back woods there.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks

I knew the distinction between parks and forests.
    Arkansas does allow CCW while in state forests and hunting. So I should be good to go.

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas does allow CCW while in state forests and hunting. So I should be good to go.
    Yep.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links