I need AGAIN advices for CCW,

This is a discussion on I need AGAIN advices for CCW, within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I am back with more questions; if you people could help me like you did before I really appreciate it. For a while ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need AGAIN advices for CCW,

GM [OP]

I need AGAIN advices for CCW,

Hey,

I am back with more questions; if you people could help me like you did before I really appreciate it. For a while ago I asked about the Browning HP for CCW; I got many responses that really helped me. I purchased the HP and I truly LOVE the gun! Although I love the HP, I found out that in some circumstances carrying at all can be very difficult. But then I also found the solution, getting other gun for just those occasions; a Karh MK9 Elite 2003 with night sights. What makes me consider this gun is the small size, 9mm, accepts +p ammo, and it has stainless frame. I would prefer a SA in that size, but unfortunately I did not find any, and I absolutely do not want anything less than 9mm. I wonder what you think about the MK9 for CC? Do you have any experience with it? What do you think about CC fanny packs? Any advices are greatly welcome.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

This is more a gun question than a question about actually carrying, but no matter.

The gun is good once you break it in. It needs to have several boxes of ammo run through it to wear it in. After that many people have reported that they have no problems with it. I fired one and it wasn't comfortable or fun but that's not the point of it. The idea is a gun you will always carry and it carries easily in a pocket or some type of holster.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

With respect ot the Fanny Pack everyone has their perceptions of it. For me, I prefer not to use it. If a BG is about to make a move, a user first has to unzip or open the fanny pack, draw, and shoot. All of this takes away from precious little time. Hence I prefer an IWB holster, Lift shirt/sweater, draw, point, and BANG. Just my little two cents worth.

Not knowing your size/build, clothing and what not, it's hard to give advice on how to properly conceal your Hi Power.

I'm a HUGE fan of the P35. I think it's John Browning's best handgun. This year I have been carrying a Hi Power off duty and have no problems concealing it. If you are having trouble concealing the Hi Power, maybe it's not the gun, but your "kit".

I would look at the gear I'm using to conceal the gun, and maybe my mode of dress. With a few changes I'm willing to bet that you too could easily conceal a Hi Power. The question then becomes, are you willing to put up with a heavy gun and exspensive leather bill?

If you need an excuse to buy another gun, then so be it. I can tell you, when you are talking good concealment gear you will end up spending as much as the gun sometimes.

Biker

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have that exact same gun that I carry on occasion in a FIST IWB holster. It is compact, fits my hand well and was totally reliable out of the box. Being DAO it is defensible in court and factory night sights is a plus.
    Disassembly and upkeep are a breeze. I can't think of any reason not to carry it.
    The Browning is a good gun, but concealability is an issue for CCW.
    As for fanny packs, not my first choice. They are not as stylish as they once were, so people immediately know it's carrying a gun. Most are made of nylon which again says gun. The ones with a pull open rip cord allow quick action with practice, so I'm not totally against them if you feel comfortable with it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Although the Hi Power is a great gun, there is no way it will conceal as well as an MK9. For a single action sub-compact 9mm, you may want to look at something from Springfield Armory, Para Ordnance or possibly a CZ Rami.

VIP Member
    I'm pretty comfortable carrying a full size/weight gun, after the second holster drawer filled up. I find strong side IWB, behind the hip, with an open front garment, to be my favorite. Its fast and comfortable, with the right belt and holster, and it conceals best. A pull up garment is almost as fast, as long as you don't snag by using the strong hand to uncover the grip, the weak hand to hold the garment, and the strong hand to dive for the grip.

My favorite IWB's with the Velcro hooks include the Comp Tac Minotaur Spartan and the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe. I just put my Kahr in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster #4, but look at Mika's pocket holsters, too. I found, serendipitously, that the Kahr MK40 fit my Crossbreed as well as my Kimber Ultra CDP. Maybe the MK9 and Hi power are similar enough, too.

I think a big red "GUN INSIDE" should be embroidered on fanny packs.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

For size, weight and power you can't find a sweeter spot than the Kahr PM9. It is only fractions of inches and ounces smaller than some of their less expensive models but it adds up to a package that actually can fit into pockets for quite a few types of pants. I have even carried it IWB in a polyster blackhawk holster ($12!) in a pair of pajamas, it is so light!

It handles +p ammo well, you can search the web for some stats but off the top of my head I can tell you the Corbon 115gr +p exceeds 1200 FPS; you will definitely get good penetration and expansion. This is probably the smallest, lightest high-quality gun you can get that has sufficient stopping power even for an every-day carry. Its only drawbacks are the small magazine (single stack so that its only .9 inch thick!") and short grip. It has the extension magazine which I normally leave loaded in it as its a better grip and I shoot slightly better with it, but the pinky curl problem is not really a problem at least for me. The DAO is superb, and I have no trouble adjusting between its smooth DAO and the single-action of my XD 45.

On top of all this, it is actually FUN TO SHOOT! Many small guns are not fun at all on the range and better carried than shot, but I love shooting this little gun, even if it doesn't have quite the accuracy of a longer-barreled auto-loader.

I can't say enough great things about this gun.

Hey GM,

When I went through my CC class the instructor recommended a fanny pack for carry and gave an example where you can have the gun in hand and ready to go, but it still be concealed. In this way, you wouldn't have to wait for the BG to make the first move before getting ready and yet be concealed. It seemed like a good idea, but what I went with instead was a Maxpedition Versipack (FATBOY™ VERSIPACK - Versipacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)). It's a little bigger than a compact fanny pack, but I'm able to fit my CZ 75 BD (4.7" barrel) without issue. Just a thought.

GM [OP]
    WOW! You guys are fast! Thank you very much for your answers. I perhaps should say that I am not planning to totally go over from my HP to the MK9. I believe that the HP is the epitome of a piece of art, and it always will be my primary CCW. I carry it in a VM-2 IWB and it works fine. However, in some occasion when it is very hot (e.g. while needing to walk outside for a long time at lunch time) and I am wearing shorts and a thin shirt, I do not feel that it is so comfortable. Actually, I cannot carry the HP because the VM-2 feels way too big and sticky (if someone has a better carry alternative please tell me). The other is the printing; I do not know if it really prints so much or if I am getting paranoid :-)

BikerRN:
    I remember you from my other add before getting the HP; thank you very much for your very helpful response. I totally agree with you about the HP.
    To answer your questions: I am 5.72, 175 pounds. I live in south FL which means very hot weather; and to make it even worse I am not use to this type of weather. I do not like DAO pistols; therefore I am not a big fun of the MK9. I prefer SA or at least SA/DA. The main reason because I was thinking about that gun is the size. Actually, I was planning to get a Colt series 70 very soon (not for CC), but it will not be possible if I get a MK9. If you can tell me how to get around the problem please feel free to do it; I do am willing to spend extra money in holsters if I can carry my HP all the time. Like I said before, I love that gun; and a plus to the side is that I think it looks great too
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Khar makes a great gun, all of which are small and great for concealment.

I personally agree with not going below a 9mm, and the Khar is about as small as they come, at least from a respected gun manufacturer.

Fanny packs are OUT when it comes to style. I haven't used a fanny pack of any sort in over 10 years, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of using one for CCW. But I will say this...a fanny pack can be removed from your person and set down, so you risk the potential of the gun either being left behind, or being stolen when set down. As much as you might say that you'd "never" take it off somewhere and leave it, well...

As far as the style goes, you will stand out more by wearing a fanny pack. Either you will be well dressed and the fanny pack will look odd on you, thus bringing attention to you, or you will not be well dressed, that fanny pack will look like it belongs on you, and you will still bring attention to yourself by looking like white/black/asian (whatever skin color you have) trash that is an easy target.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

if money is no object, Springfield's EMP is small, single action and chambered in 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by hk boy View Post
    if money is no object, Springfield's EMP is small, single action and chambered in 9mm
    I'll second the EMP. Since your primary carry gun is a SA, your manual of arms with the EMP will be the same so there's no new protocol to learn.

Can't beat the Summer Special for an IWB that takes up less real estate than the VM-II.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

cmb

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'll second the EMP. Since your primary carry gun is a SA, your manual of arms with the EMP will be the same so there's no new protocol to learn.

Can't beat the Summer Special for an IWB that takes up less real estate than the VM-II.
    if you can afford it, the 9mm, 40 and 45 are all supposed to be good in the compact. however I agree with thos who won't go less than 4" barrel on a 45!

As someone has already mentioned, if you want to go the DA/SA route, the CZ RAMI is pretty good. It accepts the larger 16 round mags as well which is nice for the range or as a backup. It's about the size of a Glock 26 (?) and it's a 9mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links