Who feels more comfortable with their "big clunky" gun?

This is a discussion on Who feels more comfortable with their "big clunky" gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I go with my beautiful fiancee to Sam's club for some household items this evening and to meet some friends of ours for dinner ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who feels more comfortable with their "big clunky" gun?

So I go with my beautiful fiancee to Sam's club for some household items this evening and to meet some friends of ours for dinner at the local mexican place. The other couple is my coworker and his wife. He too carries. I acquired a S&W 340 a couple of months ago as a BUG/warm weather gun for pocket carry. I decided to carry it in my Galco Summer Special IWB for the evening stoked with .357 JSP. I had two speed strips in my pocket with Federal .38 Hydra-shoks. The overall carry package is very comfortable and lightweight and tends to make you forget you are wearing it. I have practiced with this gun and believe I am proficient enough with it to defend me and mine long enough to get out and away of the situation if need be. That being said, I just felt unnerved about how little and diminutive it felt on my person, on my stong side hip. This gun definitely packs enough punch. I just kept thinking how much better my Glock 23 in the HBE Com III would feel on my side (in my head). Or even my P228 in a Mitch Rosen Premier OWB.

My question is this who takes out there "no gun" gun for EDC/Primary and just feels weird and wishes they had their "big clunky" with them?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My carry is either the Glock 22 or my Ruger P. Something about the weight/size just gives me a sense of security. I from time to time carry a PT145 10+1...but feel the big boys are just a little more my type.
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

My EDC is my G20 and G29...depending on how I feel. Worse case scenario is the G29 10+1 with 2 10rd mags...

I usually carry my G23, but once in a while I just stick my Taurus 650 5-shot revolver, loaded with .38 Spl +P in my pocket.

The whole time I'm thinking, I really wish I had my 23 with me!

I know how you felt...almost naked.
    Doug

Sig P229 .357/.40, G17, G19, G23, G27, Bushmaster XM-15, Ruger PC9 Carbine, Win. 1300 'Defender' 12 Ga. (among others)

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

My edc when I'm not in my 18 wheeler is a Springfield XDM .40.
    As the saying goes: "It's a big gun when I put it on, and it's big gun when I take it out."

The smallest guns I've ever carried were a glock 23 and a ruger p95. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable with anything much smaller than that.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

My EDC was a Para-Ordnance P-14 (5" double stack 1911) and I sure do miss it over here. I have smaller, lighter guns I sometime carried (S&W 642 crimson Trace) but as has been said I always wished I had the P-14. The only comfortable alternative was the Glock 20.

I am coming home over Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to once again having that comforting weight on my right hip.

I don't have a tiny gun anymore. I got rid of my Bersa Thunder after putting exactly 0 rounds in or through it.

I got it at the height of the "Gun Run". Got rid of it about 2 months later when I couldn't find any rounds. I miss it now...

Lesson learned.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    My EDC is a SIG P220 SAS DAK

And yes, when for deeper cover I drop back to a smaller sidearm, on occasion, both the size and carry location feels strange.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If I can not carry my main gun, I carry TWO bugs. Yes, they are only 9mm and .38 but it does increase my fire power without reloading.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Not Me. I retired my G23 to home defense and have been carrying my CW9 for months now and never felt less confident in it's ability. +p 9mm vs .40S&W close enough for good defense IMO, + being that placement is the key in any gunfight.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    The wife and I went to the city yesterday, so I strapped on the XD 9 sc, put a full box of ammo in between the 2 mags. It felt comforting, but I took along the Kel-tec 380, it got left in the car, but it sure was tempting to exchange the 2 because the 380 in the pocket makes life easier.

Do I feel more comfortable with the "big clunky gun", no, but one would imagine if I ever found myself in a gun fight, I would sure be wishing for the big clunky gun, and maybe a 12ga.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    The wife and I went to the city yesterday, so I strapped on the XD 9 sc, put a full box of ammo in between the 2 mags. It felt comforting, but I took along the Kel-tec 380, it got left in the car, but it sure was tempting to exchange the 2 because the 380 in the pocket makes life easier.

Do I feel more comfortable with the "big clunky gun", no, but one would imagine if I ever found myself in a gun fight, I would sure be wishing for the big clunky gun, and maybe a 12ga.

Z
    Carry both!!! I carry my P-14 strong side and my Grendel P-10 (grand daddy of the KEL-TECs) in my weak side hip pocket. When walking in real questionable areas I will "palm" the little 380 for instant access.

cmb
    Wouldn't say "big clunky" but I know what you mean...

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Big and clunky? I dunno, some might call my S&W 686+ big and clunky, but hey it is a Smith & Wesson revolver, I just call her Lucille.
    She is my preferred carry when the weather is cool enough to hide her, if not I'll carry the Kimber Pro Carry II, anything smaller like my S&W model 36 is a bug, never a primary carry gun for me.
    If I'm feeling a little more outgoing, I'll bring Harriet along. Harriet is my 4" Model 29, and while she is a bit big, she's still good looking too
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I feel more comfortable carrying my Glock 22 over my Tarus pt140. I only sometimes carry the pt140

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links