CC and drinking

This is a discussion on CC and drinking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't know where to put this so if it dosen't go here then I apologies. Here is the scenario. You decide to go with ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CC and drinking

CC and drinking

I didn't know where to put this so if it dosen't go here then I apologies.

Here is the scenario. You decide to go with a buddy to a party and your CCing your gun. As time goes by you decide you want to drink so you go to your buddy's car and lock up your gun. When it's time to leave you have had more then enough and want to leave, so your buddy drive's you home (he is the DD) but on the way you guy's get pulled over. My question is do you still get in trouble of having a gun under the influence of alcohol even if it's locked up? Can it be in a glove box? Would it be better to lock it in the trunk? Laws may very from state to state but what is your knowledge of this scenario. Keep in mind you weren't planning on drinking but you changed your mind.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    VR4,

1. If you do not plan on drinking, then don't. Make a decision and stick to it.

2. As you say, securing your gun appropriately depends on the jurisdiction. Check your local laws.

3. If you are too intoxicated to drive, isn't your situational awareness GONE? Do you really want to put yourself in such a position?

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

CC'ing and drinking alcohol? One word: DON'T
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The decision to go to a party were alchohol is served while carrying a sidearm is a poor one. Do not make things worse by drinking.

Learn to refrain, or plan ahead...others have already given you the correct answer..."Don't do it!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    What he said
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I'm probably in a minority here, but what the hey.

IMHO, there is drinking alcohol and there is drinking alcohol.

I would not carry and drink at a party, as the OP's question described -- as there is a good change of getting impaired w/o being aware of how impaired you are.

OTOH, a glass of wine or a beer w/ a meal while carrying works for me. As always YMMV.
    Last edited by DaveH; October 4th, 2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

No i would not do it , no need to put yourself our anyone else ( DD,wife & freinds ) at risk , a leo having a bad day , rookie or just doesn't no the laws real well could ruin the whole night.
    i have been ccw for 18 years went to many party's , i always made myself the DD , and of course no ONE new i ccw, if a person is responsable enough to carry/own a firearm, then they can also avoid temptation / peer presure.

Depends SOLEY on the State you are in.

Florida's statuatory take on the subject is that an individual under the influence is not allowed to have the firearm IN HIS HAND. (read 790) Not at all a good idea, but at least in Florida the scenario you describe would not jeopardize either you or the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I'm probably in a minority here, but what the hey.

OMHO, there is drinking alcohol and there is drinking alcohol.

I would not carry and drink at a party, as the OP's question described -- as there is a good change of getting impaired w/o being aware of how impaired you are.

OTOH, a glass of wine or a beer w/ a meal while carrying works for me. As always YMMV.
    +1 for me!!

Add this to your scenario. On the way home after securing your firearm and having some drinks, you get into an "road rage" altercation with another driver and it becomes life threatening so you retrieve your firearm and use it for self defense. How does your drinking influence a jury in a civil or criminal court? My thought is that if we can't control ourselves and not drink, then we should leave the firearm at home.
    NRA life member.

Minority opinion here, but if you go to a party and decide to drink, then properly store your gun in the auto, your fine. If there is a trunk, put it there. If there isn't a trunk put it out of reach, possibly unload it if you feel the need when you decide to have beer and take it off.

If your responsible enough to carry a firearm, then your responsible enough to know if you can have a beer or drink or whatever and not be a threat to anyone else.

This stuff gets hashed over several times a year on DC. There are the tea totalers that say never be near alcohol with any firearm near, and you have the folks that understand it is a responsibility thing. That there are folks that don't get stupid and go shooting up the place because they have a beer or two. Put me in the latter group. If your not an idiot before the beer, you won't be an idiot after the beer. If you are an idiot, well the beer just makes you a bigger one.

Always obey your state laws.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Minority opinion here, but if you go to a party and decide to drink, then properly store your gun in the auto, your fine. If there is a trunk, put it there. If there isn't a trunk put it out of reach, possibly unload it if you feel the need when you decide to have beer and take it off.

If your responsible enough to carry a firearm, then your responsible enough to know if you can have a beer or drink or whatever and not be a threat to anyone else.

This stuff gets hashed over several times a year on DC. There are the tea totalers that say never be near alcohol with any firearm near, and you have the folks that understand it is a responsibility thing. That there are folks that don't get stupid and go shooting up the place because they have a beer or two. Put me in the latter group. If your not an idiot before the beer, you won't be an idiot after the beer. If you are an idiot, well the beer just makes you a bigger one.

Always obey your state laws.
    Very good point. In my state, you must dis arm put the gun in the trunk or lock box, and the ammo in the glove box and your fine. That is in my state, so learn your laws. Drinking while carrying is not smart, but if your in a situation where your going to have some beers, lock it up.

Quote Originally Posted by VR4 View Post
    Here is the scenario. You decide to go with a buddy to a party and your CCing your gun. As time goes by you decide you want to drink so ...
    At THAT moment, one has to take responsibility for the situation and what might well occur. Having a drink of something is one thing. Going to a party to drink is something else entirely.

With ability come responsibility. 'Nuff said, really.

My choice: I don't go to drinking parties, as such. Parties, sure, but there's a difference. And I don't mind a rare drink that has alcohol when going out to a restaurant or other entertainment, though my preference is for non-alcoholic beverages. If I know I'm going to make the choice to drink a bit, then I'm going to make other arrangements for (a) a ride home and (b) my defensive sidearm. In short, if I'm going to be drinking up a storm (which doesn't happen anymore), I'd first disarm (which is one of the reasons to avoid such situations in the first place).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I really don't even know why this is a topic at all. When you carry your pistol, you are held to a higher standard. Like it or not, you are. That means keeping your head straight, and available to make clear and rational split second decisions.

It takes only a split second and a stupid action to do a lot of damage for all of our rights. If you cannot control your drinking, or do not think you are impaired after a drink or two, please, do us all a favor and stop carrying. You are doing nobody any good.

If you want a beer, thats fine. I like to have a beer now and then too. Do it at home or leave your gun in your sock drawer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links