What do you check for CC?

This is a discussion on What do you check for CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to CC. I'm still trying to figure out what works and doesn't, what prints, etc. Yesterday, it was super windy. I didn't have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you check for CC?

What do you check for CC?

I'm new to CC. I'm still trying to figure out what works and doesn't, what prints, etc.

Yesterday, it was super windy. I didn't have a jacket on, as it's still warm out. So, my shirt was blowing like crazy, while I was on my way to my first Wally Walk. (Sorry. I know it's disappointing, but I didn't do that my first day of CC!)

It got me thinking about the fact that I look in the mirror forward and sideways. But I don't do things like sit down or think about what wind might do.

To some extent, I'm not sure that I care. I could OC. It's not illegal to print. And if someone notices, it doesn't seem like a Big Thing.

So, what do you look for before you go out the door? Or what did you look for when you were new to CC?

2. Remove Ads

I really don't look in the mirror for 'checks' anymore. I simply put on the sidearm, add an extra mag, a few other items and off I go. I don't even think much about it anymore. It's like I need my watch, wallet, and gun...OK, ready to roll.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't check much any more either if I am wearing my tuckable holster I will check just to make sure I have my shirt bloused just right.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! But what did you USED to check?!

I mean, I figure after awhile it gets to be routine and you just know what will or won't work. Right?

So, what do you look for before you go out the door? Or what did you look for when you were new to CC?
    It's been a while, but.....I just make sure everything fits, is tight, and that clothing or outerwear won't be interfering. Used to look in the mirror sure, but seldom any more since I've been working with what I've got for quite some time. It's all habitual for me now......just like leaving the house with cell phone, keys, wallet, clean underwear, a good shave, and underarm deodorant.

Just ask your wife or gf, if that gun makes you look too big. lol.

Really after a bit, you will get used to it, and learn to deal with things as they come up. On very windy days, I just put my right thumb in my right hand pocket while walking into the store or whatever to keep my shirt from being blown up.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Pretty much like everyone has posted.....It's just second nature now. Earlier in my carrying days I would try different things until I found what works for me.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

It will take some time to "see" what works for you and your anatomy.

If you are using IWB is the rake correct so the grip doesn't produce a sharp catch point that would continually work your cover garment higher and higher with normal arm movements. You will need to try it at 2, 3, 4 and 5 "O"clock (and everywhere in between) till you find where the pistol is flattest against your body. This depends on your shape, height and general torso proportions. Once you find this "spot" I think you will find it the most concealable and most comfortable for you and that particular rig. Adjust your wardrobe accordingly (pants & belt size) for IWB.

If you are using OWB most all the above apply being sure that the rig rides high enough and/or the cover garment is long enough to cover normal stoops, bends and reaches. Its easier to have the holster ride higher as longer garments get in the way of fast deployment IMO.

Again once you find the "spot" the gun will almost melt away and most important, YOU will will feel secure and comfortable with the carry causing the weapon to be your constant companion. When everything is settled in and the "spot" becomes memory you will find your hand can go there dead on in a flash, achieve full combat grip and make a smooth draw to present the sights on target or just hold undercover if needs be.

Do not worry too much about printing, it is amazing how little attention most people pay to their surroundings let alone, "let's see now... thats either a G19 or G23 he's carrying, Hum, by the slight sag in the belt line just behind the hip I'm going with G23 because of the few extra ounces the .40 ammo adds". Ant'a gona happen, don't stress over it.
    As already stated just keep carrying and it will become part of your routine. I have carried for over 30 years and as the others have said, watch, wallet, gun, mag carrier, comb...

As you check your hair in the mirror it is OK to check for the obvious telltales but you will move on in short order if you Carry as part of your life.

I pay attention if I'm dressing in a particular way that I really, really don't want to print. But in those occasions I'm also making sure I don't "print" with things like my cell phone, car keys, etc.

Really most people don't pay attention to others' details. You want to make sure the holster you get doesn't have too much of a sharp gun outline, but most of them have soft edges when you put clothing on top of them.. Chances are if you print a little most people if they even notice will just assume it's a wallet / cell phone / etc.

So no, not a lot of attention once a system is established.

VIP Member
    I don't check anymore either. I carry IWB so only a minimal amount of my gun is in a position to be seen anyway. I just make sure my shirt is covering the butt of my gun and then head out. Being that I live in a OC state even if it does become exposed no foul no harm.

Got a new Super Tuck,
    Check my look in the mirror.....
    Hands up,
    see no gun ,
    I'm ready
    Glocks

VIP Member
    I ask my wife to keep a check on me when we're together because I actually do forget sometimes about printing. Printing usually occurs toward the side/rear if you carry around 1600 so it's hard to see in the mirror. When it's windy, I'll put on a light cover garment or wear one of my "shoot me first" vest.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    For those windy days that I need a light cover garment, I have a jacket that I sewed a small round drapery weight inside the front pocket. Holds it down in the wind and any print in the pocket looks like a quarter.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Whenever I'm trying out a new clothing item that's crucial to maintaining concealment, I have someone else check it while I'm moving around. I haven't yet been able to prove it to myself, satisfactorily, hence the importance of having someone else check. Why? Well, that's the vantage point and my way of movement that will be the situation if someone's going to see me "printing."

Once I've vetted certain clothing, I generally don't worry about it. The covering garment does that very well, and it's easy to tell whether it's in place or not. I occasionally pocket carry, and there isn't any real checking needed with that. I also occasionally carry openly, in which case "printing" isn't a problem.

YMMV, dependent upon your clothing selection and whether it's designed to cover, not ride up, not show easily, has colors/patterns to break up any outline that would otherwise show, etc. IMHO, that's ~95% of a clothing selection problem, initially at time of purchase/tailoring, as opposed to in the morning at the mirror to double-check printing.

Note: In Oregon, "printing" isn't a crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Today was my first full day of IWB. (Had been carrying in a belly band.)

I had my holster at 5 for awhile today and while driving, wondered how the heck anyone wears a gun at 5 who ever has to SIT.

At 2, it's perfectly comfy, but when I got home, I found a gun-shaped indentation on my skin. :-/ I don't want to get gun-shaped callouses!!

What is the proper rake for different positions? My holster is adjustable but I'm not sure what I should even try. So far, all I can figure is that at appendix carry, I probably want it straight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links