Some hot head gets the point... I think - Page 5

Some hot head gets the point... I think

This is a discussion on Some hot head gets the point... I think within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pro2A Just for curiosity sake, lets say he did get physical and placed his hands on me to turn me around or ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Just for curiosity sake, lets say he did get physical and placed his hands on me to turn me around or something. This is always something I wonder about because it is borderline assault, but not quite enough to draw down on the guy. Coming after me with a tire rod in the parking lot is one thing, but placing his hands on me is another.

How would you react then?
    If the incident happened the same way, but instead of leaving just stood there and placed his hands on you to turn you around probably saying "I'm not done with you yet" or something to that effect.

I think if he is close enough to turn me around he's getting a knee/shin to the groin as hard as possible while yelling "leave me alone", "call the police", something to that effect.

Figure at that distance using OC and you might eat some as well, still a bit too soon for a blade, your standing in line so pulling your pistol isn't the best choice either and lets face it a hard shot to the groin will put more guys on their knees faster than a right hook. Just that one swift kick and start backing away still facing him of course.
    Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think in this case you would have to go hands on. There is no clear deadly threat so shooting him would get you into hot water. Unless you're old or handi capped there is no disparity of force and no deadly threat (at this time).
    No disparity of force? The guy was twice his size. I have been taught that if you are in fear of death or serious bodily injury you have the right to use any force necessary including deadly force. If someone twice my size physically attacked me I think it would be easy to make a case for disparity of force.

I would not shoot someone to avoid an argument or maybe a shoving match but if someone much larger than me attacked with the obvious intent of inflicting serious damage I would not hesitate.

Distinguished Member
    Here's my dilemma: I'm sixty. Stayed in fairly decent shape most of my life. But in the last five years it has become woefully apparent that I ain't 30 or 40 or even 50. Even five years ago I ran five miles easily 3x a week. Not no more! Secondly, if the guy is that big and that close, in a half second he could have me on the floor pounding the you-know-what out of me. I feel I have three options: 1. Jesus 2. A verbal warning while backing up & hand on hip. 3. The exit. No time for anything else. Yes, I know how to fight but I also have been on the other end of a one punch fight. Pretty hard to implement plan B when you literally see stars.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    But in the last five years it has become woefully apparent that I ain't 30 or 40 or even 50. Even five years ago I ran five miles easily 3x a week. Not no more!
    AzNav, I'm in the same boat. I used to run half marathons and 10K's for fun, sometimes a big handful of them a week. Sometimes, it was to help friends through them, or as an alternative to a training run (given how fun they can be with all the great people who attend).

Now, though, walking to the end of the block and back can lay me up for the rest of the day, given a bad hip problem I've got. Heck, sometimes I feel that the ~5yr old kids that my neighbors have could give me a run for my money (and they sometimes do!, when we're playing). Point is, I'm not running anywhere if a felon comes knocking. The only options for me are to bend over, or to "knock" back.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    This guy went WAAAAAAAAY out of his way to confront you. I think you acted appropriately.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    So I had to head up to the store to get a few things for dinner. As I'm pulling into the parking lot (I assume) some guy turns in after me and was in my blind spot entering the shopping center. I go to turn and little did I know he was right there. It startled me, regardless, I stopped to let him pass. He gave me the finger and drives off to his parking spot. I figure to avoid trouble I would go around to the other entrance as he seemed to have a hot head.

I parked, got out and walked to the second store entrance. He was walking into the first entrance and I could see him raise his arms up and give me a WTH look across the parking lot.

Again I just ignored him and walked in. I got what I needed and gave myself enough time to avoid meeting him in a checkout line. I found a short checkout line and was waiting for the guy in front of me to check out when I felt a tap on my shoulder... I'm kind of standing at a 45 degree angle facing the cashier. Strong side was facing away. It was cool outside so I was CC with my PAFOA zip-up hoodie.

Anyways I turn my head and it happens to be 'parking lot guy'... he kind of gave me a scowl and said "You got a problem bud"? Arms outstretched again. This guy was like twice my size. I told him that I don't want any problems and to just leave me alone. At this point the whole line and cashier is watching him. He said something about not being so tough in the parking lot. At this point he began to invade my bubble space (never making physical contact though). I had a feeling he was trying to pick a fight. I stepped back exposing my front side to him and a clearly printing 1911 under my hoodie with the bottom of the holster sticking out under the jacket. I had my hand over it more as a reactionary measure for it's protection, and told him again... "look man, I don't want any trouble please leave me alone".

He gave me a quick up and down, saw the PAFOA logo on my hoodie, I'm assuming saw the holster... and then put 1 and 1 together.

His demeanor changed instantly. He backed off a bit... and said "alright tough guy... just watch yourself..." he left his stuff there and was

Do you think I acted appropriately given the circumstances? How would you have reacted? Any pointers for future encounters like this?
    Id say you handled it a hell of a lot better than I would have. I dont do well with that sort of confrontation...short fuse and all. Oversized bully types have always brought out the best in me and taking them down used to be something I enjoyed on occasion.
    Of course that all had to change when I decided to grow up and be a man.
    Apparently the arse youre talking about has decided to remain an immature child who thinks he's still on the grammer school playground.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    You did good except exposing your strong side to him. IMO, you need to protect that side and your firearm in the event he's not smart enough to leave well enough alone. I would have said ( look pal, I've done all I intend to do to avoid your bad attitude. Keep it up and I'll call the law out here and see what they think about the situation). But that's just me.

That was part of growing up in my case. Learning to simply threaten to have the police get involved works much better at defusing a bad situation than saying something insulting or escalating things.
    I wish Id had the brains to do that years before I did.

Pro2A
    Mr. Hothead is probably at his court mandated anger management class telling all his fellow hothead friends how a jerk at the store almost ran him over and when he went to confront him about it he acted like he was going to pull a gun on me.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links