Some hot head gets the point... I think

Some hot head gets the point... I think

This is a discussion on Some hot head gets the point... I think within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had to head up to the store to get a few things for dinner. As I'm pulling into the parking lot (I assume) ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some hot head gets the point... I think

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Angry Some hot head gets the point... I think

So I had to head up to the store to get a few things for dinner. As I'm pulling into the parking lot (I assume) some guy turns in after me and was in my blind spot entering the shopping center. I go to turn and little did I know he was right there. It startled me, regardless, I stopped to let him pass. He gave me the finger and drives off to his parking spot. I figure to avoid trouble I would go around to the other entrance as he seemed to have a hot head.

I parked, got out and walked to the second store entrance. He was walking into the first entrance and I could see him raise his arms up and give me a WTH look across the parking lot.

Again I just ignored him and walked in. I got what I needed and gave myself enough time to avoid meeting him in a checkout line. I found a short checkout line and was waiting for the guy in front of me to check out when I felt a tap on my shoulder... I'm kind of standing at a 45 degree angle facing the cashier. Strong side was facing away. It was cool outside so I was CC with my PAFOA zip-up hoodie.

Anyways I turn my head and it happens to be 'parking lot guy'... he kind of gave me a scowl and said "You got a problem bud"? Arms outstretched again. This guy was like twice my size. I told him that I don't want any problems and to just leave me alone. At this point the whole line and cashier is watching him. He said something about not being so tough in the parking lot. At this point he began to invade my bubble space (never making physical contact though). I had a feeling he was trying to pick a fight. I stepped back exposing my front side to him and a clearly printing 1911 under my hoodie with the bottom of the holster sticking out under the jacket. I had my hand over it more as a reactionary measure for it's protection, and told him again... "look man, I don't want any trouble please leave me alone".

He gave me a quick up and down, saw the PAFOA logo on my hoodie, I'm assuming saw the holster... and then put 1 and 1 together.

His demeanor changed instantly. He backed off a bit... and said "alright tough guy... just watch yourself..." he left his stuff there and was

Do you think I acted appropriately given the circumstances? How would you have reacted? Any pointers for future encounters like this?
    Last edited by Pro2A; October 4th, 2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Addressed via PM.

Some will say no....On the other hand I think you were ok...You never know with some people. A pocket knife could have come out, his state of mind could have been on making you hurt. I have a couple of times in these types of situations yelled stop or Ill shoot. They seem to stop after that. It has happened twice to me so far. Someone be aggressive saying they are going to kill me. Its seems you handled it better than I.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

You went out of your way to avoid the confrontation, and when confronted did your best to defuse the situation. I don't think I could have done better.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Pro2A...sounds like you did all the right things. You didn't react to his gestures while in the parking lot and did what you could to ignore him, BUT when he came up behind you and confronted you in the check out line, HE changed the rules. You let him know you wanted to be left alone, but you were not going to stand there and take any of his "crap".

At this point this was obviously not a life threatening situation, but you never know what this guy was capable of doing once you both went outside. This is where it could have gone sour real quick...he could have pulled a knife, or have gone to his car for a club, tire iron, or worse a gun.

My opinion, you went home safe, and maybe, just maybe "hothead" learned a valuable lesson as well.
    Proud NRA member

I think you handled yourself well. Kept your cool, didn't brandish. All's well that ends well.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Your actions were appropriate, especially trying to deescalate the issue several times. Excellent job of saying you didn't want any trouble, and having witnesses hear it.

Had macho man tried to escalate further, the witnesses would have clearly pegged him as the aggressor.

So he left his stuff there and walked away?

He threatened you. I'd have been tempted to get his plates and make a police report, although doing so might have given him access to your identity. I don't know if I would have done it, but I'd have considered it.

Be on the lookout for him. If he knows you're armed, he'll either leave you alone, or try to ambush you.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    At this point this was obviously not a life threatening situation, but you never know what this guy was capable of doing once you both went outside. This is where it could have gone sour real quick...he could have pulled a knife, or have gone to his car for a club, tire iron, or worse a gun.
    Oh believe me I was on a high condition orange walking to my car in the parking lot. I made a B-line to my car and was out of there and didn't look back.

You did good except exposing your strong side to him. IMO, you need to protect that side and your firearm in the event he's not smart enough to leave well enough alone. I would have said ( look pal, I've done all I intend to do to avoid your bad attitude. Keep it up and I'll call the law out here and see what they think about the situation). But that's just me.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    You should have performed a tactical deployment of your c.c.w. sash.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Physical preparation combined with verbal defusing... sounds like a fine example to me.

It only takes an instant for something bad to happen at that distance.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i think you handled it very well he would probably escalated it more in the parking lot if he had the chance.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You should have performed a tactical deployment of your c.c.w. sash.
    Then displayed you CCW Badge. LOL JK

I think you did well. Some place like a grocery checkout line with multiple innocents and sheep. Close quarters and he has confronted you and physically made you aware of his attentions (poke on the shoulder). He wanted to start something. You asserted yourself verbally and made sure all witnesses knew you did not want trouble and simply wanted left alone. Make sure you say that loud enough for plenty to hear, but not escalate the situation. There is a difference in tone and volume. One will stoke the flames one will not. You may need those witnesses later for the cops.

A situation at bad breath distance in close quarters is no time to be questioning your resolve. Stand your ground and be firm, but not antagonistic. I think you did well.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Some blowhards like to be seen puffing up and talking tough but you can never tell when you are facing the real deal or a blowhard. You did well.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Good everything worked out ok.

I just never understood how some people can become so mad over a simple traffic mistake. Stuff happens. No sense in picking a fight over it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links