class A misdemeanor and conceal carry HELP

This is a discussion on class A misdemeanor and conceal carry HELP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i was in a recent situation in which i was jailed. and charged with 2nd degree felony of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. this ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: class A misdemeanor and conceal carry HELP

Exclamation class A misdemeanor and conceal carry HELP

i was in a recent situation in which i was jailed. and charged with 2nd degree felony of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. this was reduced to a class A misdemeanor. i was on probation for 6 months. i have ppl telling me i may resume carrying. i have a chl. they didnt take it away from me and they didnt file a civil suit against me...any one have any answers for me? can i still carry?
    if guns are outlawed only outlaws will carry guns

2. Remove Ads

sss
    Being convicted of a Class A misdemeanor would make you ineligible for a Texas CHL. You might want to double check with your attorney, but I believe as far as state law is concerned, you are required to send your CHL back to Austin as soon as you're no longer eligible to carry.
    "A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes indistinguishable from a streetwalker." - H.L. Mencken

I'm a TX CHL instructor. You are not eligible for a CHL at this time.

hmm. my court liason said i could resume carrying. my private instructor said it was an automatic 5 year suspension. when i called the dps in austin they wanted my personal info like ssn and dob. rather then give it to them i let my probation finish..which will be tomorrow as a matter of fact before i call back in and ask them if i am still allowed to carry. so i am confused. my attourney ended up to be a schmuck so i cant ask him to double check for me. do you know of any good law sights?

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I'm a TX CHL instructor. You are not eligible for a CHL at this time.
    wow ok. :( so is there a suspention time or how long do i have to wait and do i send it back like the other post said?

my husband has a chl also and we have many weapons he can still have his in the same house right ?

sss
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaMoreno View Post
    wow ok. :( so is there a suspention time or how long do i have to wait and do i send it back like the other post said?
    You will be ineligible for the next 5 years. I would send the CHL back to Austin as soon as possible, and stop carrying immediately. You may still have the physical license but it is currently invalid.
    "A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes indistinguishable from a streetwalker." - H.L. Mencken

ok. so when the 5 yr susp. is up i can reapply? its supposed to be a class A misd. of deadly conduct thats what they reduced it to. will they give the permit for a second time once the 5 years is up?

sss
    Yes, you can apply again 5 years from now, according to Texas Government Code 411.172:
    GOVERNMENT CODE** CHAPTER 411. DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS

yeah i am not carrying right now they took two from me that i had and they issued me a "notice to destroy" for saying they were gonna be destroyed but i currently still have one under my name in my house. what do i do with that one ?

5 years from when?
    the end of probation?
    5 years from the arrest date?
    5 years from the court date when they released me ?

sss
    One what? CHL? Destroy it. As said earlier, you may still have the physical license, but it is now invalid due to the Class A misdemeanor conviction.

You should be able to apply again 5 years after your conviction.

may i still purchase a handgun even tho i am not eligible to legally carry one and have it in my home ?

As long as it wasn't domestic violence I do not believe a class A misdemeanor will exempt you from gun ownership,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

see thats what some ppl are telling me. uhhhhhhh confusion. no it wasnt domestic a guy on the freeway was following me tried to hit me with his vehicle. the courts obtained video feeds from the texas transtar cameras that even showed him following me..... i displayed my gun to make him back off..but it didnt he still kept following me...and switching lanes just to keep messing with me. he even said in the report that if he woulda had his gun he woulda shot me...who tells an officer that ? maybe he thought the "no retreat law" was gonna help him on that. i was scared. i stopped at a convenience store I called the cops and I told them what happened and they arrested me. i was on my way to work that day.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links