this is a dead man - Page 2

this is a dead man

This is a discussion on this is a dead man within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are no guarantee's when someone has the drop on you, but three things can help carry the day in such situations. Offensive Mindset, Guts ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

Thread: this is a dead man

  1. #16
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    There are no guarantee's when someone has the drop on you, but three things can help carry the day in such situations.

    Offensive Mindset, Guts & Surprise!

    When during a hold up, and they ask for your wallet, they are expecting movement out of you. That is your best opportunity to surprise them with something they're not expecting.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."


  2. #17
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,776
    Per Bark'ns comment, this is one reason why I love carrying the LCP in a wallet holster in my back pocket. It's a BUG that can quite likely be the one that comes out first.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  3. #18
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This is a classic example, on the felonious felon's part, of an acute failure in the victim selection process.


    Good job student & teachers
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    5,131
    The BG died as the result of a fatal mistake in victim selection. By the sound of it, there was GONNA' be a chalk-outline one way or another. I'm never encouraged by a deadly shooting. But if it's "them" or "us"...let's exercise every effort to make it THEM.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array havegunjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,206

    I understand your point....

    Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    Does anyone else think that drawing your gun when facing a BG with his gun already drawn and pointed at you might be a bad idea. Sure in ths case it worked out but if the BG was a little sharper it could have ended differently. When he saw your gun all he had to do was pull the trigger and BG wins. If a BG got the drop on me I would comply and hand over the wallet unless I became convinced he was going to shoot anyway. Then you have no choice.

    However I think that a BG pointing a gun at me is the first step to killing me. I have no reason to think otherwise especially if I can see their face and make an identification. These people will kill you for a nickle so I must take whatever opportunity presents itself even if it is not perfect.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

    Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

  6. #21
    Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arapahoe County CO
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    If a BG got the drop on me I would comply and hand over the wallet unless I became convinced he was going to shoot anyway.
    Sounds like you are willing to assume someone threatening you is not going to execute the threat. I'm not.

  7. #22
    PM
    PM is offline
    Senior Member Array PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    670
    I have been told that if you pull a gun you had best plan to use it. I have told people don't have anything in your hands you are not willing to eat. Based on those two statements; I figure they plan to get my money then kill me and I plan on them eating the gun or lead whichever I can serve more easily!!

    Besides, you just pulled a gun on me; you just pissed me off really bad!!

  8. #23
    Member Array larefugee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    222
    It wasn't clear to me from the story where the goon came from, though I always check the shadows with my flashlight when I go walking after dark to avoid any surprises like this. If the goon was just walking down the sidewalk in my direction, I might try to cross the street if he looked suspicious. If he crosses too, then the alert level goes up.

  9. #24
    Ex Member Array Karter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    In fact, the first thing that went through our friend’s mind when a gun was pushed into his face was ‘this is a dead man.’
    Oh gee but we only want to use deadly force to stop the threat right not kill people.

  10. #25
    Distinguished Member
    Array Xader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,564
    ...But a dead threat is a stopped threat! :p

  11. #26
    Ex Member Array Karter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Per Bark'ns comment, this is one reason why I love carrying the LCP in a wallet holster in my back pocket. It's a BUG that can quite likely be the one that comes out first.
    Yeah cause shooting someone with a .380 is a great way to prevent them from shooting you back, right??

    Not according to the statistics on this page: Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun

    The best .380 cartridge has a one-shot kill percentage of only 70%, and thats a real wildcat of a cartridge I am guessing. Getting the second shot off on target in less than a second would probably be tough even at the range, and you need to assume your performance is signifantly worse in a high-adrenalin situation.

    Also keep in mind that while a .380 may make a 1-shot kill 70% of the time, a good chunk of those deaths probably happen 15-30 minutes after the shooting. After shooting someone with a .380 whether or not they shoot you back is probably entirely up to them, unless you planted the first one right between the eyes. Good luck.

    A .357 as in the OP is a totally different story.

  12. #27
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,509
    Great...no repeat offender, just a dead offender. Job well done.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  13. #28
    Member Array jcurt172's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    86
    by by bg. Don't let the door hit you in butt on your way out.

  14. #29
    DrJ
    DrJ is offline
    Member Array DrJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    80
    Certainly the correct outcome happened in this case, but I've got to wonder about the foolishness of jogging at 1:30 AM, even in an "upscale" neighborhood. Surely an attorney and avocado farm owner could afford a treadmill!

  15. #30
    Senior Member Array jem102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,042
    So, how would this have gone if the good guy had been open carry???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. The Second Amendment is dead
    By Laser Sailor in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
  2. Bad and Good: Dead Victims and Dead Perp
    By WyoShooter in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: December 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM
  3. Living witnesses VS dead or almost dead ones.
    By CR2008 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM
  4. 6hr Stand-off with Dead Guy
    By cupsz71 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM
  5. DC gun ban dead ?
    By Redneck Repairs in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 9th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Search tags for this page

best .380 cartridge

Click on a term to search for related topics.