First encounter with Houston Leo

This is a discussion on First encounter with Houston Leo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I flew into San Antonio, Texas on Thursday a day earlier than my convention started. And over the last few months my neighbor is looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First encounter with Houston Leo

I flew into San Antonio, Texas on Thursday a day earlier than my convention started. And over the last few months my neighbor is looking to buy a 1949 Plymouth and he finds a really clean one in Houston. So he asks me If I would mind driving 3 1/2 hours each way to look at the car. Yea, I know real PIA but real good neighbor.
    As I posted earlier I flew thru JFK with firearms and now suited up and jumped into rental car for the long drive. I tossed my suitcase in the trunk and had knapsack on the passenger seat, that I took as carry on for GPS, Camera, Kindle and snacks. Driving on I-10,Left Lane traveling at 85 mph in a 75. As I approaching exit for Eagle Lake Road by Seally and Bulville. I take my eyes off ahead of me and start looking around the beautiful landscape and next thing I look to my right and sitting on coming traffic on the right is a sheriffs car looking at me. I look down and I was going 85. He starts to roll out and then stops. Whew!! I am watching him in the rear view mirror and after 45 seconds he is rolling. I switched from the left lane to the right when I figured I was going to get pulled over. Now their is another Sheriffs car who stopped another motorist so I switch back to the left (move over law) and then back to the right all the time watching the rear view mirror and the 1st Sheriff car is about 5 car lengths behind me so I start pulling over to the shoulder right before he lights them up. Lights on. I give a wave of acknowlegement, pull over and stop. Windows open. Hands on the wheel. He approaches from passengers side. He asks for my drivers license. Inform him that I have my drivers license in my front left pocket and my firearm on my right hip. How would you like to proceed? He states "Just keep your hand away from your side. OK, but I have to take off my seat belt to get my license. OK. I pass him my DL. Do you know why I pulled you over today? Sure do, I was speeding. How fast do you think you were going? 85. Close 84. I have family and friend that are Police officers and I would have pulled over sooner but you started to pull out and then you stopped. Was not sure on what you were going to do. Where are you heading today? I just flew into SA jumped into the rental car and heading to Houston. Would you like to see the rental agreement? Pass him the RA and after a quick glance passes it back. What is in Houston? Funny you should ask. My neighbor is looking to buy a 1949 Plymouth and I am going to check it out. I came down here for business a day earlier to relax and here I am heading to Houston instead. Looks at the backpack and asks "Is this all you brought down for the trip? No sir my suitcase is in the truck this is my carryon. He looking at my DL and I state" I have a Class A license without and tickets or suspensions or points. If you wish go check it out and you will see that I have a clean license and wish to keep it that way. Hands me back the DL and says "Have a good day" He leans up and then back down, by the way how did you get your firearm here to texas? I explained that the Port Authory who handles the NY/NJ airports looked at my pistol permit and it went under the plane. OK, have a good drive. Any day not getting a ticket is a Positive Encounter all the way around.
    Yes,neighbor bought the car.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Good encounter. I tend not to answer "yes" when they ask me if I know why I was stopped. I have them tell me. Simple reason, when they ask you, normally you are on a recorder, either camera or their voice recorder that alot of them carry. If you answer and say "yes, I was driving xx" and the speed limit was lower, you just admitted to the violation and if you ever had a chance to contest it, you just blew it. Not that I have been stopped since I was 22, but still, that my way of thinking. They taught is that very thing when i was in the academy, well, they taught us to ask, especially when having a recorder going.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Two schools of thought. One the truth. I have never had a leo write me a ticket for admitting what I was doing wrong. Second insult the Leo by telling him you are to stupid to know what you are/were doing wrong behind the wheel of a vehicle. I knew why the leo asked each question on the traffic stop. I had nothing to worry about.

Sounds like a nice leo stop...and no ticket either.
    Go buy alottery ticket...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Dang yankees, coming down here and using up all the warnings from the DPS.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good Job, Handled well H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

im sorry to be such a noob, but what is a leo? for give me i am new here
    if guns are outlawed only outlaws will carry guns

Law Enforcement Officer

LEO
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I can't believe it's not butter. You got through NY with an evil gun.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Two schools of thought. One the truth. I have never had a leo write me a ticket for admitting what I was doing wrong. Second insult the Leo by telling him you are to stupid to know what you are/were doing wrong behind the wheel of a vehicle. I knew why the leo asked each question on the traffic stop. I had nothing to worry about.
    Sometmes honesty is the best policy. I had it work for me on evening. I had the Muscle-Stang out for a little ride, nice evening, not much traffic, and the devil got ahold of me when the traffic light turned green. I got on it a bit, uhm, well a lot, drove it the way it was meant to be driven, right past the police officer parked on the far end of the strip mall. By the time I passed him I had to easily be doing 20 over, if not more. As soon and I saw him pull out, I slowed down waited for him to catch up, and as soon as he lit me up, I turned and parked on the first side street. He asked "Just what was that all about?"
    Well what do you really say? I was honest and told him the joy of driving the car overwhelmed all sense of reason. His jaw dropped and he told me I was the most honest person he had ever stopped, and to knock it off and have a nice evening.
    I knew I was busted and it would have been a doozy if he wrote me for it, so I just told him the unvarnished truth.
    I took it pretty easy the rest of the way home.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Moderator
    The truth always is the best policy.

Someone admitting that they knew they were in the wrong will more than likely get a warning from me if I stop them. The point has been made, no sense in losing part of a paycheck over it.

On the other hand, if they have a lengthy driving history of being stupid, they'll probably get a ticket, because obviously, a warning doesn't work.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    H/K,
    The Sheriff's deputies (my old agency) are a little more lenient than the Houston cops. Glad you had a good time down here.

Would the NY cops have been as friendly?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Well handled by both parties!!

May my first encounter (if I ever have one), go so well!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Good encounter...glad everything ended like it did.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    H/K,
    The Sheriff's deputies (my old agency) are a little more lenient than the Houston cops. Glad you had a good time down here.

Would the NY cops have been as friendly?
    Send a thanks to the Deps 4 me. Most leo's even in NY give a fair break.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links