Florida goes public NEWS RELEASE: Program will expedite concealed weapon license apps

This is a discussion on Florida goes public NEWS RELEASE: Program will expedite concealed weapon license apps within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I rcvd this email today from DOACS. After checking the system out they finally make an offical announcement. Smart thinking. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 5, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida goes public NEWS RELEASE: Program will expedite concealed weapon license apps

Florida goes public NEWS RELEASE: Program will expedite concealed weapon license apps

I rcvd this email today from DOACS. After checking the system out they finally make an offical announcement. Smart thinking.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    October 5, 2009

DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL.
    DIRECT ALL INQUIRIES TO:
    Terence McElroy
    mailto:mcelrot@doacs.state.fl.us
    (850) 488-3022

BRONSON ANNOUNCES PROGRAM TO EXPEDITE CONCEALED WEAPON LICENSE APPLICATION PROCESS

TALLAHASSEE -- Florida Agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner Charles H. Bronson today announced that qualified individuals wishing to expedite the turnaround time in obtaining a concealed weapon license can now visit any of the Division of Licensing's eight regional offices to apply for a license.

In an effort to expedite the process and relieve the congestion caused by an unprecedented surge of concealed weapon license applications mailed to the department's headquarters in Tallahassee, the regional offices have been modified to serve as one-stop application intake facilities.

The regional offices, whose locations can be found at Regional Office Listing - Division of Licensing, DOACS, are asking applicants to make an appointment before coming in.

When the appointment takes place, staff members will take the applicant's photograph and fingerprints, and notarize the application after it has been reviewed for completeness. It will then be sent to Tallahassee for processing. The seven-year license costs $117, which includes the licensing fee, fingerprinting and costs for a Florida Department of Law Enforcement criminal background check.

Bronson estimates that applicants who apply in person can expect to receive their licenses in two to three weeks.

Applicants can continue to apply for or renew their concealed weapon licenses by mail as they have always done, although the backlog in applications can mean a two to three month wait in receiving it.

Residents can review the basic eligibility requirements to receive a license by visiting the Division of Licensing's webpage at Eligibility - Weapons - Division of Licensing, DOACS.

Individuals who are interested in obtaining a license by visiting a regional office or who want to learn more about the service can view a frequently asked question page at Submitting a Concealed Wepaon Application at a Regional Office - Division of Licensing, DOACS.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

2. Remove Ads

This is a real plus for those seeking a FL permit, just a short drive to a regional office, nice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I did it.
    Here's the deal.
    You need an appointment.
    You need your proof of a class.
    You need your driver's license. (Passport only if you were born outside the US)
    You need a check or M/O in the amount of $117 (no cash)
    I did all the above, they sat me down at their computer station and I filled out the form. They printed it and notarized it.
    They did my fingerprints electronically.
    They took my picture via a web cam to their computer.
    I was out the door in 28 minutes.

My license arrived in the mail 5 business days later.

They were great to work with, they treated me as a neighbor.
    I can't say enough about the office (I went in Tampa)

Good news!!!!

Makes you just want to pinch yourself. Way to go Floridians!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    There's hope for us yet. Of course, Charlie Crist is running for Senate and he's trailing badly. At this point, he'll take all the friends he can get.

If it benefits us, I'm all for it.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Way to go Florida! Other states should take notice. My state included.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    What about non-res permits?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    What about non-res permits?
    Yes and a more generalized version of this; what are the class requirements? If I've taken a class in NC can I register non-res in Florida (either via. mail or in person) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post
    Yes and a more generalized version of this; what are the class requirements? If I've taken a class in NC can I register non-res in Florida (either via. mail or in person) ?

Yes, Florida's trainings reqs are fairly liberal (good and bad). If you ever took a hunter saftey course and the docs to prove it you are good.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Seems it took some load off Tally

My renewal this year only took about three weeks, total time mailed out to mail received.

My guess is that Bronson wants Crist's job.
    (a little humor, ok?) Imagine this on a tourism ad:

Gov Bronson Welcomes you to the Gunshine State!
    Now Play Nice!

btw, this is not the recommended positioning of forefinger for 'ready'
    Last edited by FLSquirrelHunter; October 6th, 2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Attempt at humor

and now ... the Rest of the AP story

the AP version of this ran longer:
    While the state licensing division received a total of 91,000 concealed weapon permit applications in 2008, the division received 96,000 applications in just the first six months of 2009. Active Florida weapon permits total about 650,000.
    Nice that twice as many people are legally arming themselves.

What the State provides as a License, the AP considers a "Permit" because? ... reporters still think only the govt can permit you to have a gun?

Congrats Floridians. Now let's get together and continue the expedition process.

I think the whole application process could be processed at the DMV. Why do they need the paperwork notorized when a government official is personally checking the id? Bring in a government issue photo id or the same required id that you would have to get a photo id. Fingerprints could be done on sight and the same phone call/computer check could be made as when purchasing a firearm, at least for the initial review. Maybe even give out a temporary permit that is valid for 30 or 60 days while the prints get run through the FBI and the actual permit is mailed to you.

I think a written test covering the state/federal laws for concealed carry and the state/federal laws for self defense is a good idea that can be administered at the DMV just like the DL test. A booklet can be printed and available to the public for study prior to the test, just like the DL or Motorcycle Permit books.

If the quick phone call is good enough to BUY a firearm, why not let it at least get you a temporary permit? If a temporary DL can be printed on site, why not a temporary CCW?
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Good to hear Florida has chosen a 21-st century solution, to a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    There's hope for us yet. Of course, Charlie Crist is running for Senate and he's trailing badly. At this point, he'll take all the friends he can get.
    He should be. He's nothing but a RINO. He won't get my vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links