alert LEO

This is a discussion on alert LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question relating to the shell casing incident. Is a cartridge considered a weapon and /or retricted from carry on baggage? I know ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alert LEO

I have a question relating to the shell casing incident. Is a cartridge considered a weapon and /or retricted from carry on baggage? I know the confisticate ammo, as my son forgot a 30-06 round in his pocket when we returned from hunting in Alaska. Actually he passed through detection ion Anchorage and found it before we were to board in Seattle. We contacted an airport screener and they took the cartridge. I didn't quetion it, as the cartridge was no big deal but I guess I never really paid any attention if cartridges are forbidden. Sounds like they are but is that what the law states?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    A friend and student, being a federal marshal, is routinely passed through by the TSA screeners with his gun. They won't let him bring along his nail file, however.
    LOL! Sorry, but I believe your friend is ribbing you a bit. That sort of situation has not existed since just after 09/11. Oddly enough, that really was an issue for a short period, however.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    When I flew armed, I carried my switchblade. I read later that TSA doesn't want that to happen... oh well.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I've seen the pilot's fingernail clippers taken away, and the response out of earshot was...

"I didn't really need it anyway because....

......I've GOT the CRASH AX and I could just HACK everybody up"

"but I really don't need to do that because.....

I could just CRASH THE F___IN PLANE INTO THE GROUND!"

Then, at Washington Dulles, after 9/11: the National Gaurdsman with his M16 getting WANDED by TSA. That was classic.....

A girl I know (a blonde) went two round trips (four legs total during 2008) from Phoenix to the Midwest forgetting to remove her pepper spray from her key chain all four times (TSA busy with "SILICONE BREACH CHECK PROCEDURE").

It's amazing......

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    glad he was alert
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

In the People's Republic of Mass-holes, if you do not have at least an FID card (firearms ID) having a shell or any bullet component, live, spent, any part of, will land you in jail.

THAT is how screwed up the sheep are here. We can not buy components for reloading bullets via mail order catalog, it's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kicker96fs View Post
    In the People's Republic of Mass-holes, if you do not have at least an FID card (firearms ID) having a shell or any bullet component, live, spent, any part of, will land you in jail.

THAT is how screwed up the sheep are here. We can not buy components for reloading bullets via mail order catalog, it's insane.
    What would happen if you had been shot and the doctors decided to leave the bullet in because the location was to tricky to remove. Would you be illegal because you are "carrying" a round?

My brother has a BB in his chest. My mother found out when he was in a car accident and the x-ray tech couldn't figure out what the spot on his chest was.

Couple years ago at the local air show at Willow Grove NAS, the enlisted folks working the gate tried to take my P38 off my keychain. I''ve had this one for 25 years or something, so I told 'em I'd put it in my car.

As the car was a good quarter mile or so away, I just went around back of a van and slipped into my sock.

On their behalf, though, it's possible that the newer troops today have never even seen a P38 . . .

(If anyone doesn't know, it's a teeny little military can opener from the pre-MRE days).

File:P-38 Can Opener.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

I dunno man, that looks pretty EVIL!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK, I was doing a favor for my daughter, filing some paper work for her to the friend of the courts so she might be able to get some child support from her baby's dad.
    The FOTC offices are in the district court building so no weapons allowed. They have sherrif's deputies at the door, with metal detectors and x-ray scanners like they use at the airport.

I enter carrying my cell phone, PDA and my car keys and the paper work for the FOTC. I know I have a "SMALL" pocket knife on the key ring that is disguised to look like a standard key. I have had it for 20 years. I have taken it through airport security (pre 9/11) before.

I figure the 2" blade isn't considered a weapon. I put the keyring and PDA and Cell phone in the basket he hands me so I cna go through the metal detector.

The deputy immediatly reaches in and pick up the key-knife. He smiles and says no weapons allowed, and no cell phones either. I then notice the sign that says no cameras are allowed. Neither my PDA or cell phone takes pictures, but it's no big deal so I tell him "No problem, i'll be right back" He smiles and says, I''ll be here!"

I return to the car and place everything in the car, go through the security check point, drop off the paperwork. On the way out I tell the deputy, "I'm impressed, no one ever notices that knife. You have really keen eyes."
    The deputy says "Thanks"
    Do you know of anybody online that sells that kind of knife.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    The deputy immediatly reaches in and pick up the key-knife. He smiles and says no weapons allowed, and no cell phones either. I then notice the sign that says no cameras are allowed. Neither my PDA or cell phone takes pictures, but it's no big deal so I tell him "No problem, i'll be right back" He smiles and says, I''ll be here!"

On the way out I tell the deputy, "I'm impressed, no one ever notices that knife. You have really keen eyes."
    The deputy says "Thanks"
    Anytime someone come up with a new doodad like that the LEOs are the first to find out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibesarcasm View Post
    I did have a court security officer stop me one time because I had a handcuff key on my key ring...... and I told her...thats because they go to my handcuffs....... LMAO! needless to say, she let me through after we had a laugh......
    Just curious. Is it illegal for civilians to have a handcuff key in Colorado or just not allowed in the courtroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I carry one of these on my keys
    Key Ring Mini-Tool: Utili-Key 6-in-1 - Swiss+Tech
    and haven't been stopped or found yet in any security. Federal courthouse, local courthouse, the Gateway arch in St Louis, and various other venues.

I figure the first LEO to find it will get it as a gift for having sharp eyes.
    I have the 4-in-1 Screwdriver set from the same. I have had about a 50% ratio of being stopped at security in courts for it.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Sig pack

While its really not illegal.......they officers really wonder why you have a handcuff key...... I guess 6 of one 1/2 dozen the other..... We had a county officer killed here because the suspect he arrested had handcuff keys hidden on him. He grabbed the officers gun in transport and shot him. Another story for another thread. But I guess it would be that the officers would wonder why a non-LEO has a handcuff key.... i have always had one......... but no, not illegal....
    Last edited by ibesarcasm; October 8th, 2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling....... AGAIN!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Airport

There's one in Readers digest where a National Guard outfit was returning from active duty. They were boarding a commercial jet to go back home. All were carrying M16s and sidearms. The security people wanded them and took away a female sergeants swiss army knife. This is while all were holding automatic weapons.....

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    A guy that goes to my church is a pilot. He sent his bag through the xray and did not realize his girlfriend had left a small knife in it. The started grilling him about it. He got made and popped off with one great, though probably inappropriate, reply. The tells the security, "I'm the pilot. If I want to crash this thing I'll just fly it into the ground!" I think they still took his knife, and they still let him fly the plane.
    I would be willing to bet that his copilot and others would try to stop him. Good on TSA for thinking about this potential threat to security.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links