Springfield xd9 sc

This is a discussion on Springfield xd9 sc within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I have yet to get my permit (being processed by the pd) and I should have it before the end of the year ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield xd9 sc

Springfield xd9 sc

Hey guys, I have yet to get my permit (being processed by the pd) and I should have it before the end of the year (I hope). Anyways, ever since I was into guns, the springfield xd caught my eye. Since day one this was, in a sense, my "dream" gun when it comes to looks, and from the reviews I've read, reliability and anything else I could ask for.

I am, or very soon will be in the market for a cc gun. The main ones I am looking at are the pf9, p11, and springfield xd 9mm sc. I fear the xd may be too big, but am trying to do more research. During this research I have found conflicting information. Some say the xdsc9 has a 10 round magazine, but on the XD website, I believe it says 13 with a 16 extended mag. Can anyone verify any of this?

Any reviews of these guns, maybe the taurus 709 slim, or any other gun you recommend would be appreciated.

Also, of the guns I have mentioned, which can you help recommend? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for the time guys!

-Billy

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    My every-day carry is a Springfield XD9sc. I love it. In California, there is a 10-round limit, so the "California-legal" models are required to ship with the 10-round mag.

The gun shoots great, eats whatever ammo I feed it, functions flawlessly, is easy to disassemble, etc., etc., etc.

I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck and forget it's there.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I recently received my conceal weapons permit about 3 months ago. While I cannot comment about your other choices, I can vouch for XD 9 SC as a concealed carry weapon.

This is by no means a pocket carry. With a loaded magazine and one in the chamber my XD 9 SC weighs 1 pound 15 ounces. I suggest a quality gun belt and the MTAC. I use a MTAC In Waist Band holster. The MTAC allows me to tuck my work shirt in and carry at work.

Normally the XD 9 SC does have a 13 round clip, but here in California, we are not trusted with magazines that hold over 10 rounds.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    My EDC is the 9sc as well. I carry in a Crossbreed Quickclip. The 9sc is very easy to carry and conceal. It's accurate, not a picky eater and fun to shoot.

I've got a couple 13 round sub-compact mags for ccw. I use the 10 and 16 rounders at the range.

Depending on how I'm dressing for the day, I may switch out the 9sc for the .40 service.
    NRA Life Member

Smile

The Springfiled XD series is a very proven winner for safety and function. I have the service 40 cal and absolutely love how it handles and shoots. It also has great safeties with the grip and trigger safety as standard. Just my thoughts anyway.

Armydad

My first and best love is my XD 45 Service model. This was the first gun I bought for home defense and that is really its only purpose.

I've looked at the Subcompacts, and just am not impressed. When concealing, your two largest problems are the thickness of the weapon's slide & grip, and the length of the grip (or height of the gun). Weight is also a factor. The XD SCs are probably the heaviest subcompacts on the market. The shorter barrel just costs you accuracy, it does not help much with most concealment rigs. The shorter grip is the only benefit.

I think there are better choices. There are a number of choices when you look at Glocks and Kahrs, as well as other brands I'm sure. I ended up with a Kahr PM9 personally. This is much more expensive, but I feel the much lower weight and shorter dimensions (especially width) is worth it. And it is still very much fun to shoot; less accurate than the XD 4" but more accurate than I am.

I am very happy with the feedback you guys have given me so quickly. One thing why I was looking at the kel tecs instead of the xd was the thickness. Is the xd also a viable summer carry? I figure it would be great for winter but I am nervous about summer carry with shorts and a t-shirt. You guys still comfortable then?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Carry mine all year round and summers here in central Missouri tend to get hot and humid. With the right holster you have no problem.

BTW, you give Zero accuracy out to 25 yards with the 9sc over the service model. If the BG is 25 yards of more away, you are no longer in self-defense situation anyway.

The 9sc is not hard to carry. It is not overly heavy for all day carry. I often carry for 18 hours a day and have no problems whatever.
    NRA Life Member

I regularly carry with shorts and a t-shirt. A good belt and holster combination make it quite easy. I also came from carrying a 4" 1911 during the summer so the XD9sc feels tiny on my hip after that.

You truly can't go wrong with the XD9sc.

Don't waste your money on Kel-Tec's IMO, they are cheap toys compared to a G26 or a SA XDSC 9mm. A Kel-Tec makes for an OK BUG but never a primary CCW if you can avoid it.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

For reliable concealed carry, I would go with the XD, a Glock or a S&W M&P. Go to the range and shot them before making a decision. The ranges around here don't even rent Kel Tecs, (I was told because they are not reliable, and break down often with alot of shooting). I have twp XD's (a 9 and the 45C). I like them, but they are thick. I also bought a Walther PPS (very slim and easy to carry). You can carry just about anything with a proper holster and belt. I think the XD 9sc is a good choice, if that is what you shoot well.

I love my XD9SC. It came with a 13 round and 16 round magazine. Not legal in California.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I carry the xd-45 from time to time and its a good weapon for winter carry.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

One other thing to consider is what other guns you have or plan to have. Nodody has just one pistol right?

So I seriously considered the XD SC just because it would have the same manual of arms of my XD 45 (which I love, as I mentioned). But it at also has the same fat ass so I said to hell with it and bought the Kahr. Also while the PM9 is relatively pricey the CW9 is also very nice and more affordable.

Also don't forget Glock! Look at the dimensions and WEIGHT on the G27 for example and compare this to the XD SC's! I wish I had looked at Glock more before buying the Kahr even, I have to say. The problem was I fired them at the range, and they were always really dirty guns (because they are rented so often) that none of them performed well and I didn't really like the trigger pull but w/e we know Glock are quality guns and you can get used to anything, and I have certainly got well used to the very different actions of the XD and Kahr.

Sure you can carry a heavier gun all day but a lighter one is a lot nicer if it gives you the same performance. Capacity isn't that big of a deal in most real world SD situations. I do carry the spare mag for the Kahr though since it is also so light :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blender345 View Post
    During this research I have found conflicting information. Some say the xdsc9 has a 10 round magazine, but on the XD website, I believe it says 13 with a 16 extended mag. Can anyone verify any of this?
    Until recently, Springfield offered a 10-round flush mag and a 16-round extended mag for the XD9 subcompact. A few months ago they switched to offering a 13-round flush mag and a 16-round extended mag for states that have no limit on mag capacity.

I liked my XD9 subcompact so much I also bought an XD-45 compact. The XD9 sc isn't that hard to conceal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links