Another sheeple argument

This is a discussion on Another sheeple argument within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jameso "They're dangerous! Too many people getting killed today. I like New York's laws. No one should need a gun." Cars are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another sheeple argument

Quote Originally Posted by Jameso View Post
    "They're dangerous! Too many people getting killed today. I like New York's laws. No one should need a gun."
    Cars are dangerous! Too many people getting killed today. No one should need a car... they're destroying our atmosphere and we all need more exercise anyway.

See... I can do it too!

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    Well thats a double edged sword, I really dont see people going out of there way to tell people just how wrong they are for not carring a weapon. I see people discussing the reasons why they carry.

However I do see people very strongly telling others how wrong and dangerous it is to own and to carry a weapon.

I tend to think that they are the ones looking down their noses, not us.
    No argument there, I was referring to calling people "sheep."
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    Cars are dangerous! Too many people getting killed today. No one should need a car... they're destroying our atmosphere and we all need more exercise anyway.

See... I can do it too!
    I was going to say the same exact thing! And cars kill more people than guns!

I guess what gets me most about this is the idea that people can tell others what they need... "No one should need a gun." Maybe he doesn't need a gun... what does he know about the rest of us. Just seems like a controlling mindset to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xSerenityx View Post
    And cars kill more people than guns!
    Far more children die from backyard pools than guns in the home too!

Ban backyard pools! We need to save our children from the evil specter of backyard pools!
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

Another question I like to ask staunch anti gun people is "If guns were never invented, would you be against the right to own a sword, too?"

They usually don't know what to say to that one. It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameso View Post
    Another question I like to ask staunch anti gun people is "If guns were never invented, would you be against the right to own a sword, too?"

They usually don't know what to say to that one. It's fun.
    I can answer that. I sometimes socialize in those circles so i know how the anti's think. They would say:

"no, because a sword can be used for utility purposes. A handgun just scares and kills people"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    As the old adage says, man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. I try not to be argumentative and allow people to make their own decisions WRT firearms. I carry mine hoping never to need it; he does not carry and hopes he will never need it.

More power to him.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Calling someone a "sheeple" because they choose not to carry for SD is really not constructive. I understand "antis" and their opinions and I find they often lack basic knowledge of history and are weak on logic in the case of firearms ownership and use.

However, someone may choose not to carry. It's a personal choice. You made yours. They made theirs.

Looking down your nose at them actually makes you look smaller.
    He wasn't called a "sheeple" because he chooses not to carry. He was called a sheeple because he has no understanding of the basic structure of human nature. He sees no reason that anyone, including you or I, would ever need a gun because he believes that all people are good at heart. That is flatly not true. Some people, in fact I believe more people than not, are born not good. I wouldn't say bad, but surely not a good person.

That man is a sheeple because he sees the world as a nice and safe place when we all, realists, KNOW that is not the case.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like the term "sheep". I use the term a lot.

To me, when I use the term, I am referring to a group of people who really don’t have any convictions of their own, but rather mimic’s the opinions of the flock (whatever that opinion may be). It’s kind of like “blind faith”. The “sheep” feel as though; if the media and their friends say it’s so…then I will adopt that opinion as well because that is what the flock says. Pitiful!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeEric View Post
    I like the term "sheep". I use the term a lot.

To me, when I use the term, I am referring to a group of people who really don’t have any convictions of their own, but rather mimic’s the opinions of the flock (whatever that opinion may be). It’s kind of like “blind faith”. The “sheep” feel as though; if the media and their friends say it’s so…then I will adopt that opinion as well because that is what the flock says. Pitiful!
    Well said, Eric. Those are the folks I call the "blind followers". Add the MSM and it's like the blind leading the blind.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

For me, sheep are people who receive all of their information second-hand. If it was on the news, it's true. Bias doesn't exist, etc. They don't actually read the documents or the facts, they let someone else tell them what to think, and then think they're qualified to offer up an opinion about a subject they haven't actually researched or investigated.

That makes sense, xSerenityx.

It seems that some on this forum regard people who do not share our pro-gun and CC sentiments as "sheeple." Just because these people do not agree with us doesn't mean they deserve our disrespect. When you are walking around strapped, you owe it to the public, and to your fellow CPLers, to be infinitely patient, discreet, and courteous with everything and everybody you run across. (unless, of course, its someone who wants to do harm to you, your family, or other innocents).

I am not implying that I think you were rude, JAMESO. I think you handled yourself fine. I'm just making a general point.

My brother is a retired Navy SEAL. He doesn't really care one way or another about guns and doesn't carry. Would he be considered a sheep?
    Six Stringers and Six Shooters

VIP Member
    You didn't invite him to the range. I've seen a remarkable transformation in the recalcitrant sheep's bearing when they actually get to hold, not less shoot, a gun. At first they hold it with their fingertips. But after they learn the full firing grip, a devilish smile mushrooms. When they knock down some bowling pins, the excitement lights them up.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I am originally fron L.I. New York and I think many are missing the picture here. It has a lot to do with indoctrination and not the conspiracy kind. If your whole life you never met anyone who had a concealed weapon permit, never met a recreational shooter, and never saw anyone other than police with a handgun you would tend to think that was the way it was everywhere. Was I aware the only great pizza and bagels are on L.I.? No, but they are.

If you see a plain clothes individual with a handgun on L.I. 99% of the people think . . . LEO do not bother or criminal do not bother. Shows that take place in NY like Law and Order always raise the staus of law enforcement and look on the "registered" handgun as an anomoly. The media will say, He had an arsnel of 2 handguns and 500 rounds of ammo. Some even HOLLOWPOINT!"

My friend is a Snap On tool dealer and his father and mother were in law enforcement so he had easy access to a permit. We were stopped coming home one night from a late bowling league and to be polite he informed the officer he had a handgun. Well we now know what is like to have someone point a shaking handgun at you.

Depending on where you live and the mindset of the people both everyday and media you take your restrictions as commonplace and universal. Many newspapers list home invasions as robberies to keep the polulace happy. The biggest problem is returning to your homestate after years aware and unarmed.

I will never say somebody else is wrong if they don't believe in what I believe in. I will definitely never call them names because they believe differently or have a different mindset than I do. That may just be part of the fun of being part of this fraternity... I don't know. All I know is I will carry for myself and my family only... I don't care if Joe wine-cooler down the street carries... it is none of my business really. I vote the way I vote for myself... I don't care how Jill six-pack down the street votes... it is none of my business really. My faith and convictions are exactly that... *MY* faith and convictions... so I don't care if Joe & Jill down the street go to church or what church they go to... it is really none of my business. And if Joe & Jill don't carry, vote differently or believe differently than I do... who am I to call them names or talk down to them? Am I a better person than them because I may do things differently? FUDGE NO! I do what I do and am who I am because of the choices *I* make... I don't have time in this short life to constantly be worried about what Joe & Jill think of me or wasting any sleep over knowing somebody else out there thinks differently than I do. I'm definitely not going to preach to somebody who believes something different than I do because while I may be right... I am only right *FOR ME*... what may be right for me may not be right for someone else. If someone comes to me seeking advice I will offer it up with the caveat that "this is what I believe" but I am not a decision maker for anyone else out there and I'm definitely not their mommy or daddy telling them what to do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links