Left it at home, once, and guess what...

This is a discussion on Left it at home, once, and guess what... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nutz4utwo I would have been more concerned with being hit by a look-e-loo driver while on the shoulder or while walking. Many ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left it at home, once, and guess what...

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I would have been more concerned with being hit by a look-e-loo driver while on the shoulder or while walking.

Many of us are guilty of being dependent on a firearm... it is one of the most rarely used tools in the kit.

That's one way to think of it.

But then, this is a defensive carry web-site where folks come to discuss the carry of defensive weaponry. It's what's discussed. That alone, though, isn't sufficient to imply each person's story about such things is a prime example of one's first/only/fearful thoughts being of the firearm.

When one gets in a jam in a bad part of town, only the naive won't consider the risk of the situation at all ... and, frankly, that risk involves the question of whether one is armed. Considering that question isn't indicative of being psycho, or dependent on it, or similar implications. It's simply indicative of a thinking person who sees the situation for what it is: far riskier than one planned.

Quote Originally Posted by itsatoolbox View Post
    Btw, the weapon is for the situation I couldn't avoid, not the sole basis for my strategy. Like my insurance policy.
    As is true, I would bet, for nearly everyone here.

Good story. Good reminder.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 7th, 2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: clarity
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

YOU COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED! Did you have your fire extinguisher? What about an emergency raft in case you were caught in a flash flood?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Hate to say this, but your thread title and subsequent story ended up essentially saying "Left it at home, once, and guess what... I didn't need it."

Don't get me wrong; odds were certainly not in your favor that morning, and I will continue to advocate carrying everywhere. I guess I was just mislead by the title to expect a pretty ugly story. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to reading bad news, but I'm very glad to be disappointed in that respect.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Hate to say this, but your thread title and subsequent story ended up essentially saying "Left it at home, once, and guess what... I didn't need it."

Don't get me wrong; odds were certainly not in your favor that morning, and I will continue to advocate carrying everywhere. I guess I was just mislead by the title to expect a pretty ugly story. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to reading bad news, but I'm very glad to be disappointed in that respect.
    I completely see that...I did mean it as a let down, but not to be misleading. Though, actually I'm surprised it took all day to get a that response.

Really I meant "I left it at home, once, and guess what...I ended up somewhere I really should have had it."

As opposed to having it in my living room or at borders books, where lethal or otherwise harmful threats are (based on simple threat analysis) less likely.

Glad to disappoint...hopefully I can make that a trend.

Though if anything really bad happens, I will not be posting about it online, unless my lawyer advises such.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Glad you're safe. Don't leave it at home again!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by xSerenityx View Post
    Also, don't go to grocery stores at 10pm if you can help it.
    The way the thugsters have been acting around my town, I try not to go to Wal-Mart after 10 and told my wife that if I'm on duty at the fire station I'd rather her not go near Wally World after dark. The poor checkers have told me they are terrified after 9pm or so, and management has let go the off-duty PD in favor of unarmed security with a store-only radio!

You forgot your gun?
    I felt terrible when I forgot my extra mag the other night. First time I had done that in a long time, and it really bothered me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a similar experience. My wife and I try to walk every evening for exercise and I always carry my XD9. We decided to take an early morning walk one Saturday and I left the house unarmed. As we walked down the driveway I realized I'd forgotten my pistol but thought, "hey, it's so early, all the bg's are still in bed." As we walked through the neighborhood we strolled down a sidewalk along side an elementary school. When we were about 30 feet from the back corner of the building I suddenly saw the face of young male about 20 years old peek from behind the building. My wife and I veered wide and instantly realized he had two other friends behind the building with him. As it turned out, they were three skateboarders that were probably hiding behind the building smoking a joint and they didn't give us any problem. I mentally kicked myself in the rear for the rest of the walk realizing that, had these guys been looking for trouble, I'd have been sol. I guess it's Murphy's law that you can carry your handgun day in and day out for months or years without a sign of trouble, but leave it home ONE time and sure as shi*, that's when you'll need it most. Lesson learned.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I know your feelings. Without my gun I feel undressed. When I have to leave it in the car to go into a restricted place, I feel so empty.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links